Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Archeage beta impressions

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I think you're underselling the skill system just a tad. It encourages a lot more tinkering and mix and matching than I ever experienced in WoW. The way combos work and how they become essential at later levels is very important to the gameplay. I'm currently running a character who relies entirely on cc abilities to do his damage. Normally I'll open with a flamebolt, follow it up with a frost arrow for combo damage, then choose to either fear the enemy or use flamebolt + bubble and then pop the bubble when it's 2 feet in the air, dropping the enemy down and taking about half its HP off.

I'm thinking of dropping auramancy in favor of shadowplay so that I can use stealth to decide when to initiate contact or to escape hairy situations in PVP. Archeage combat feels a lot like WoW, but it relies very much on intelligent combination and usage of your skills. If you're not using your skills effectively, even single enemies can slaughter you.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Which begs the question even more so than most other MMORPGs: Why is it there in the first place?

sbb

Learned
Which begs the question even more so than most other MMORPGs: Why is it there in the first place?
8faf910db6.jpg

Welcome to hell.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
In pre-WoW MMORPGs, the leveling grind was typically far more than just a completely useless time-waster. You were forced to cooperate with other players whom you didn't know in order to progress, causing you to make friends and acquaintances here and there, developing a social network as you went along. The combat was pretty difficult, forcing you to learn to play properly just to level up. Far from an effortless "follow the quest markers" procession, even just traveling, sneaking through high-level zones, or completing important quests could be insanely challenging.

This is an effortless solo stroll to max level which you can bumble through obliviously with a one-button combat macro following a bunch of GPS markers. I don't even know how they expect to sell their cash shop stuff to people, either; you can quest solo to max level no problem in this game without ever buying anything, at least as far as I can tell from some preliminary Googling.

The old Korean grinders were hard as piss. This just seems completely pointless. WoW figured this out finally and now gives new players one free level 80 character, I believe.

I know it must sound like I'm new to MMORPGs marveling about solo leveling or whatever, but I'm not. It's just completely unreal in this game's case.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
WITHOUT PREJUDICE To Whom It May Concern,

I recently uninstalled Trionworlds’ Glyph and Archeage software from my system, however, it seems the removal of your software did not remove the Hackshield software which was installed alongside Archeage and there are no removal tools or instructions provided on your web site to facilitate such removal.

It is my understanding that this software is categorised as a “rootkit” and has hidden drivers and tools which can manipulate the Windows Kernel. It is my understanding that this software is capable of monitoring a user’s behaviour and actions when using a computer where it is installed – without that user’s knowledge or consent. There is also no option to remove the software via the Windows Control Panel, an uninstall executable file or any other such method normally used for the removal of software installed on a Microsoft Windows personal computer.

It is noted that at no point in Trionworlds Inc. Archeage End User License Agreement (EULA) makes any mention that Hackshield will be installed alongside Archeage (the GAME) and that in Section 10 of the EULA states:

“In the event that the Game detects an Unauthorized Third Party Program, (a) the Game may communicate information back to Trion, including without limitation your Account username, details about the Unauthorized Third Party Program detected and the activities or functions performed thereby, and/or (b) Trion may exercise any or all of its rights and remedies under this Agreement or its Terms of Use without prior notice to the user(s) linked to such Unauthorized Third Party Program.”

This indicates that the Archeage executable (the GAME) is responsible for such monitoring – which is misleading information as defined under US Code Title 15, Chapter 2, Subchapter I, § 45 given that actually a third party piece of software (Hackshield) which is independent of the Archeage game is responsible for such monitoring and reporting and as such leaves Trionworlds Inc. directly liable under the US Code.

In fact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) have issued explicit rulings against such practices such as FTC File No. 062 3019 (Jan. 30, 2007) “Agreement Containing Consent Order”:

“The disclosure shall be unavoidable and shall be presented prior to the consumer installing any content protection software or, if the disclosure is related to Internet connectivity, prior to causing any transmission to respondent about consumers, their computers, or their use of a covered product through Internet servers. The disclosure shall be of a size and shade, and shall appear on the screen for a duration, sufficient for an ordinary consumer to read and comprehend it. The disclosure shall be in understandable language and syntax.”

Furthermore in Complaint, FTC v. Odysseus Mktg., Inc., No. 05-CV-330 (D.N.H. Sept. 21, 2005) the FTC ruled that failure to clearly and conspicuously disclose bundled software with security and privacy risks is deceptive and given that Hackshield is defined under the category of software known as a “rootkit” which has direct access to manipulate the Windows Kernel as well as the ability to send personally identifying information to third parties, this therefore places Trionworlds Inc. directly under the jurisdiction of the above FTC ruling.

Further reinforcing the above is again illustrated under Section 10 of the Archeage EULA which states:

“Trion cannot ensure that your private communications and other personally identifiable information will not be disclosed to third parties. For example, Trion may be forced to disclose information to the government or third parties under certain circumstances, or third parties may unlawfully intercept or access transmissions or private communications.”

Also, under FTC decisions MTS Inc., 69 Fed. Reg. 23,205 and Ed Lilly & Co., 67 Fed. Reg. 4,963 in which the FTC make it clear that companies are bound to provide practices and procedures that provide a “reasonable” level of security for users’ personal information, illustrated by successful cases brought by the FTC such as MTS, Inc., FTC File No. 032 3209 (May 28th, 2004); Guess?, Inc., FTC File No. 022 3260 (Aug. 5th, 2003); Petco Animal Supplies, Inc., FTC File No. 032 3221 (Mar. 4th, 2005); and BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc., FTC File No. 042 3160 (May 17th, 2005) – Trionworlds Inc. have an obligation under the law to encrypt said communications to prevent third parties from “unlawfully intercept[ing] or access[ing] transmissions or private communications.” Therefore, it can only be concluded that Section 10 of the Archeage EULA is void as it unlawfully attempts to strip contracting parties of their inalienable rights under existing laws and statutes and is further misleading and deceptive under the aforementioned US Code.

As a result of the above, it would seem that the installation of Hackshield, without the relevant notice and consent as illustrated above, is in breach of various laws including but not limited to Wire Tap Act and Computer Fraud and Abuse Act.

In light of this information, I hereby file the following demands of Trionworlds Inc. and failure to meet these demands by the deadlines listed will result in further legal action:

1. Trionworlds Inc. are to issue instructions and/or a software application to completely remove Hackshield from end users’ computers both on their Archeage Forums AND via end users’ email addresses;
  2. Trionworlds Inc. are to destroy any data obtained via the use of Hackshield relating to individual end users and/or their equipment including any backups of said data;
  3. Trionworlds Inc. are to issue notification to all end users whom have had the Hackshield software installed on their computers via email, making them aware that Hackshield was installed without consent and directing them to instructions on how to remove Hackshield;
  4. Trionworlds Inc. are to change Section 10 of their EULA to make it lawful by fully disclosing how end users computers and activities on said computers are monitored including explicit information on Hackshield or any other third party software. Furthermore, they should remove all clauses/sections which seek to indemnify Trionworlds Inc. from their obligations under law or seek to remove the statutory rights of their customers;
  5. Trionworlds Inc. are to issue a patch which either prevents transmission of entity identifying data (such data being any data which can be used to uniquely identify an end user or their computer) between end users’ computers and Trionworlds Inc. servers or communicates said data in an encrypted form;
Demand 1 & 3 listed above must be carried out no later than 21st October 2014 5pm Pacific Standard Time;

Demand 2 listed above must be carried out no later than 5th October 2014 5pm Pacific Standard Time and notification that said demand has been met must be sent via the email to <redacted>;

Demand 4 listed above must be carried out no later than 14th October 2014 5pm Pacific Standard Time and notification regarding the changes to the EULA must be posted on the Archeage Forums AND sent to end users’ email addresses;

Demand 5 listed above must be deployed no later than 14th October 2014 5pm Pacific Standard Time.

COPIES RETAINED

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
In pre-WoW MMORPGs, the leveling grind was typically far more than just a completely useless time-waster. You were forced to cooperate with other players whom you didn't know in order to progress, causing you to make friends and acquaintances here and there, developing a social network as you went along. The combat was pretty difficult, forcing you to learn to play properly just to level up. Far from an effortless "follow the quest markers" procession, even just traveling, sneaking through high-level zones, or completing important quests could be insanely challenging.

This is an effortless solo stroll to max level which you can bumble through obliviously with a one-button combat macro following a bunch of GPS markers. I don't even know how they expect to sell their cash shop stuff to people, either; you can quest solo to max level no problem in this game without ever buying anything, at least as far as I can tell from some preliminary Googling.

The old Korean grinders were hard as piss. This just seems completely pointless. WoW figured this out finally and now gives new players one free level 80 character, I believe.

I know it must sound like I'm new to MMORPGs marveling about solo leveling or whatever, but I'm not. It's just completely unreal in this game's case.

Besides the lore shenanigans, Wow-like quests in Archeage serve as a great introductionary tool to its features since the game's crafting, resource trading and other stuff is tad bit more involved. In the first 15 levels you already get to craft your first items, get pets, gliders and other traveling tools, grow your garden, craft trade items and send them to other province for profit, get elite timed quests and enter your first instance that requires teaming up. Later quests will be all in contested territories, so it will be chock full of pvp.

I think you are also a tad bit too nostalgic about pre-wow mmos. Have you played Lineage 2 and Anarchy Online? It was nothing but horrible grind where every quest consisted of you attacking+afk 50 mobs or get 100 pearals with 15% droprate or some shit. Getting a char to max lvl took years (yes, years) for an average player.

Nowadays, you are beelined straight to the meat of the game, which I wouldn't necessarily consider a bad thing.

Oh and btw- you get respectable exp for farming, crafting, trading and killing people, so you can level that way. There's you challenge. This will especially come in handy when you later run out of quests and want to level a new skillset.

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Work hard, folks.
Work harder for that fun.
Don't forget to sleep too.

Or this happens.

g3Yd4fd.jpg

Castanova

Prophet
In pre-WoW MMORPGs, the leveling grind was typically far more than just a completely useless time-waster

If you had actually bothered to level through the game before writing your review, you'd realize that after level 30 there are very big incentives to grouping with random people and getting to know them. Major one being the fact that it'll take you 30 minutes to finish one quest because the enemy faction will be ganking your solo ass. Other big factor being that group-questing is immediately obviously exposed to be WAY faster, even without PvP. Third even more major one being that solo players are useless in the end game since it takes a guild to generate enough resources in a timely manner to actually progress.

That being said, I don't disagree with part of your premise -- that the leveling should at least be faster, if not totally removed.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
The restrictons on Melisara server have been lifted and I can finally join Scrooge and Shitdick. Add Grimsaw to your friendlist, Hiranian faction. Two more people and we can start a codex guild.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
So true to their reputation, Trion is already running this game into the ground. LOL.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Dollars to donuts, the Codexers who tried this fucked off back to WoW within a month.

You guys are really dedicated to your ironic LARP portrayals of popamole enthusiasts. If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were hardly different from the millions of other retards who click away at WoW, try a new MMO every once in a while (because they know WoW is shit), then slink back to WoW because—although it's shit—they literally have nothing better to do with their time.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Dollars to donuts, the Codexers who tried this fucked off back to WoW within a month.

You guys are really dedicated to your ironic LARP portrayals of popamole enthusiasts. If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were hardly different from the millions of other retards who click away at WoW, try a new MMO every once in a while (because they know WoW is shit), then slink back to WoW because—although it's shit—they literally have nothing better to do with their time.

Eh? The entirety of my WoW subscription consists of the free month I got with the game and a 7 day pass I got with a Scroll of Resurrection.

Ninjerk

Arcane

Don't forget all that shit you earn in the game that becomes useless if you walk away!

Norfleet

Sheeit, am I getting this right? This game installs SPYWARE on your computer? Damn, and I thought the stuff I already heard about this place was bad.

Don't forget all that shit you earn in the game that becomes useless if you walk away!
Not at all! I have this good friend, an Eggy Friend, who will give you good money for your unused junk...and one thing I *DO* know is that he handles this game. So by all means, run, do not walk, away from this shithole. The security of your computer apparently depends on it. SPYWARE. This thing installs SPYWARE.

set

Cipher
Most of the Korean grinders do, because hey, whoever heard of server-based MMOs? Architects of these games are so bad they apparently need to place sensitive data on your end for their piece of shit to run.

Naraya

Arcane
Anyone playing this? I'd like to scratch that MMORPG itch but I'm done with subscription based games so I'm not (re)playing classic WoW. From the way it looks, it gives me a strong Rift vibes and I'm not sure I like that. Supposedly Archeage Unchained is being released very soon which does not have P2W elements...

Is it worth checking out or should I stick to Netherwing?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Anyone playing this? I'd like to scratch that MMORPG itch but I'm done with subscription based games so I'm not (re)playing classic WoW. From the way it looks, it gives me a strong Rift vibes and I'm not sure I like that. Supposedly Archeage Unchained is being released very soon which does not have P2W elements...

Is it worth checking out or should I stick to Netherwing?

Dont bother with "free" version of Archeage since its extremely P2W also its pretty much impossible to find housing/farming plot.

Personally I think its a really good game destroyed by greed. Archage Unchained on the other hand might be worth playing.

Its a game with lots of gathering, crafting, trading and pvp, pve elements are pretty underwhelming and game is not designed for solo players.

You could install their launcher "Glyph" and try open beta of the Archeage Unchained and if you like it you should buy it and play it getting ready for the land grab that will start some 5 days after the launch of the game.

Naraya

Arcane
Its a game with lots of gathering, crafting, trading and pvp, pve elements are pretty underwhelming and game is not designed for solo players.
Thanks - what you listed here are condensed worst aspects of a mmorpg for me, so I'll pass.

deama

Prophet
Back when I played it in 2014, it was quite a decent game. I remember somehow managing to scam players on the auction house or something like that, and ended up making a lot of money, enough to quickly build a decent boat + with some spare. Anyway, the boat stuff was really nice, it kinda felt like getting a car for the first time irl; and when I first summoned it a big flock of players just rushed in and started climbing my boat and asking for permission to let them stir it, was pretty fun.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
ArcheAge exchanging hands AGAIN with service beginning tomorrow along with fresh start servers that might be fun. This should be the final time because it's Kakao who own a majority stake in XLGames. Presumably ArcheAge 2 will be under Kakao as well to cut out an unnecessary middleman. Fourth(?) time's the charm? I'd imagine they wouldn't want to burn bridges when they have the sequel coming out in 3-4 years so I'll be logging in and using up my free time at least.
“In order to remove the possibility to increase in-game power with real-life currency, we’ve opted for a monthly subscription method. Many of the previously paid benefits and Marketplace-only items will be automatically included for free or acquired through in-game methods with Manastorm Crystals. This gives even more value to the subscription. Also, any paid items will be purely cosmetic. The monthly subscription will be set at 9.99($,€) for 30 days. A discount can be obtained by purchasing subscriptions for longer periods of time.”

In addition, we know that many of you paid for either the original purchase or for DLC. This will be compensated with free time according to the table below.
All ArcheAge:Unchained players
60 Days

Garden DLC players
+30 Days

Gunslinger DLC players
+60 Days
https://archeage.playkakaogames.com/news/518

Transfer your account (ArcheAge normal and Unchained)
https://archeage.playkakaogames.com/transfer?lang=en&select=2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom