Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Archmage Rises - the play-how-you-want mage simulator - now available on Early Access

BobtheTree

Savant
Steam Greenlight: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=717345305

https://www.archmagerises.com

Didn't see anything posted about this. Looks pretty neat. Focusing more on C&C and less on production values. Cites Sid Meyer's Pirates as a primary inspiration, which is interesting for an RPG. Also says is focusing more on getting towards the table-top gaming.

Inn+8-10+16.39.380.png

Combat+Wilderness+8-10+17.4.691.png

Map+Tooltip+8-10+16.38.994.png

Steam Greenlight
Official Website

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The fact that they're using the same free icons as ToME 4 for their abiliity bar weirds me out a bit, especially since I've sunk far too much time into that game over the years and have very clear associations with most of these icons. Are they meant to be placeholders?

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not too convinced about the developers influences.

The linked video said:
So Skyrim's a really interesting game... It gives you a lot of choices.

He's into :balance:

Also has an article on Gamasutra where he talks some about Goldbox games and... stuff. At least he's acknowledging some of the shortcomings.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/ThomasHenshell/20140821/223923/What_90s_SSI_Goldbox_RPGs_Can_Teach_Us_about_the_Modern_RPG_Part_2_of_2.php said:
If you thought I was only stealing from the ‘90s, you would be wrong. Having acquired a taste for creative theft, I am plundering the following modern era games as well:

Wolf Among Us / Walking Dead – Branching storylines based on character choice. Telltale’s games are well-made and have significant cost to their choices. Therefore, there are limited actual branches. I will be offering more choice than their current titles.

Mass Effect 1 / Dragon Age Origins – I found the ability to choose your allies and befriend certain NPCs compelling. There is also some story branching. I plan to take this further.

Skyrim – The most open world AAA game I have played. I like that the player can decide to simply kill a random NPC—and the guards react. And even if you get away, people still remember what you did. I am stealing this core concept of openness with consequences and taking it further.

Dwarf Fortress – A hardcore indie game where you try to found a dwarven settlement in a procedurally-generated world. Extremely challenging to figure out how to play, but worth it. I have spent the last few months developing my own procedural world generation with Dwarf Fortress as a conceptual guide.

Red Shirts – An indie game about relationship management. It’s billed as “facebooking in space.” This game showed me how complex NPC interactions can be achieved in a simple and fun manner. Also as an aside, this is a great example of what a female game designer can bring to the table: totally new ideas where we all benefit. I cannot imagine a man designing this type of game.

But at least he's into Grimoire :troll:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Seems interesting but I am sick of reading topics about half made games that have no release date (and maybe never will).

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Pirates! inspiration sounds good.

Branching storylines based on character choice. Telltale’s games are well-made and have significant cost to their choices. Therefore, there are limited actual branches. I will be offering more choice than their current titles.

Should have picked AoD as an example. Sound pretty ambitions for a 1 person team though.

V_K

Arcane
It seems to be procedurally generated, so C&Cs will probably be systemic. Which means he might actually pull it off, but on the other hand the story will probably be boring AF, despite the numerous choices. Single-character blobber combat also doesn't inspire me with much hope.
Where's my turn-based Darklands... :(

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The volume for the video audio was so low, I couldn't understand a word.

I think procedural stories could be good, if they factor in a lot of parameters and emergent gameplay / stories. Would be an interesting field for research to create such a system.

Battle Brothers does this in a more limited scale as well with its factions and their missions.

Epsilon

Cipher
I really don't think I played the same Skyrim this guy did. For one, I never got the impression that the world reacted to what I did. Even if I had become the 'dovahkeen', the guards still treated me the same as they did in the beginning of the game. If choices have no effect or meaning, why are they noteworthy?
The game looks interesting nonetheless.

Mortmal

Arcane
BobtheTree thats a nice find there, much more interisting game than what i've seen on the dex frontpage since months.It takes works, will and courage to browse greenlight , pages and pages of shovelware and jokegames hoping to find the new underrail or neo scavenger.
Just watched the greenlight trailer , it's too good to be true and promises really a lot, only thing that worry me is the single character turnbased combat too.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol, this game's Greenlight trailer is a must-watch:

The Greenlight page describes the game as a Raistlin Majere simulator, but from watching this video I'd say it has a bit of Rance in it as well. :P

Last edited:

LordYabo

Defiance Game Studio
Patron
Developer
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The fact that they're using the same free icons as ToME 4 for their abiliity bar weirds me out a bit, especially since I've sunk far too much time into that game over the years and have very clear associations with most of these icons. Are they meant to be placeholders?
Game dev here: Sorry to confuse, those are placeholder icons that have stuck around for too long I suppose. :) Just prioritizing other art assets first.
We actually plan to redo the cast selection system but haven't got to it yet.

LordYabo

Defiance Game Studio
Patron
Developer
Seems interesting but I am sick of reading topics about half made games that have no release date (and maybe never will).
Me too!
Many indie games fail to complete for 3 or 4 common reasons. None of those threaten this game.

I'm making this game because I want to, I'm capable of doing so, and I have the finances to see it through.
Short of me being hit by a bus, this game will come out and have all the promised features! :)

I'm showing the game in two days at CGDC in Portland, OR as a warm-up for the big reveal at GenCon 2016 where I have a booth.

LordYabo

Defiance Game Studio
Patron
Developer
The Greenlight page describes the game as a Raistlin Majere simulator, but from looking at this video I'd say it has a bit of Rance in it as well. :lol:

If the dev is here reading this, pls go full Rance and let Archmage be a slavemancer.

Ya, someone pointed me to this thread, so thanks guys!
Yes, you can enslave people. Sell em or force them to work for you.

Tytus

Arcane
LordYabo

After seeing the trailer and watching your pitch I'm looking forward to the game. (I have cast a vote on the greenlight site).

But I have some questions:

Will there be a lot of grind involved or will the game will relativly grind free? You said you aim to make an anwikiable game, but I'm afriad that entails a shit load of random encounters to prolong the game and make it more unexpected.
Don't get me wrong I like blobbers and even some grind when the battle system is enjoyable, I'm just a little worried.

How far/deep will the relations with people in the wolrd go. You said you are inspired by Pirates but while it was a great game the relation between you and your spouse were really limited. Will I be able to have a conversation with my wife, send her to do something, produce children, will the spouse give me gift when I return, or will I have to give her gifts to keep some relation bar high? Will she cook for me giving me some stat boosts I don't get eating/sleeping in a tavern ? (home sweet home modifier :P ). Will the family of my spouse try to take revenge on me if I treat her badly ? (selling her off).
How will having children work? Is there a passage of time ? Can I train up my kid to be a second Wizard and include him in my party?

Also you said the game is inspired by Raistlin Majere, but can I play as something like Palin Majere, get my fingers broken by the villains and become a jaded and disilusioned grump of a wizard? :P

Lhynn

Arcane
Just make sure it doesnt end up feeling pointless. Happens far too often in RNG dependant games. Playing for the sake of playing can be cool, but it will end up tiring players fast, so add a point. Maybe RNG quests based on the character creation. Like tracking a long lost sibling, dethroning a an evil king via murder or stirring up a rebellion, claiming a crown, taking revenge against a high ranking official backed up by an emperor, stopping a demon invasion, hunting down a family of powerful vampires.

Have all of them and more be an option at character creation, this gives your player a goal and a motivation for their characters, and it provides a context to your actions. They dont need to be super complex, just need to be there.

LordYabo

Defiance Game Studio
Patron
Developer
LordYabo

After seeing the trailer and watching your pitch I'm looking forward to the game. (I have cast a vote on the greenlight site).

Thank you! You rock!

But I have some questions:

These are really good questions, do you mind if I post them on the steam discussion so others can see the answers?

Will there be a lot of grind involved or will the game will relativly grind free?
You said you aim to make an anwikiable game, but I'm afriad that entails a shit load of random encounters to prolong the game and make it more unexpected.
Don't get me wrong I like blobbers and even some grind when the battle system is enjoyable, I'm just a little worried.

Great question. As a player, i feel your pain. I have 3 little kids under 4 and have little time to play, so that play time better be AWESOME, not rehash of the same ol same ol. I felt Pillars did a good job in this regard.
Early in dev I said "NO RANDOM ENCOUNTERS EVER". I've since had to qualify that a bit for situations like this:
The giant spiders have a nest at a specific location on the map. The player moves through that hex. Do they encounter spiders?
Well, a hex represents about 3x3 miles, so based on the population level of the lair there should be a significant chance of having to fight giant spiders just to get through. Is THAT a random encounter? I don't think so. But to a player it may look like one. But that encounter is actually a clue to the player that this is an area populated by giant spiders and may want to investigate it further. Lairs operate like monster generators sorta like guantlet. Kill the generator, stop the flow of monsters.

So what i meant by my initial statement of never having random encounters is this is not like final fantasy where every N steps causes a battle.
This is like D&D. You enter a dungeon populated by goblins, there are specific locations where you will encounter them and then never again. There may also be patrols as determined by the AI GM.

Let me clarify what I mean by "unwikiable":
A game where you can't go to the internet to get the answer of what to do or how to solve the problem.
Every world is randomly generated, so there is no way to know if this noble will betray you or not.
Every quest is randomly generated, so there is no way to see where to go to get the quest item.
Even the history of your world is randomly generated which affects some of the parameters of your game. For instance, the availability and power of spells are different from game to game. In your game world, a historical mage may have written a book with level 30 fireball in it, but not in my gameworld. So even here I've put work into making questions like "what's the best spell to use" irrelevant to ask. It also makes for different experiences on different play throughs as the overal strategy and combos change. (It's more involved than this, but this is a good summary)

Finally, and this may elate you, there is no experience points for combat. None. Nor loot. What you get for winning combat is to keep living and doing what you want.
Simply by removing the power gain reward from combat immediately takes combat from center stage (most games) and puts it back into concert with the other pieces so the game works more as an "ensemble piece".
In fact, deemphasizing combat begs the question: well what else will I do???? And the answer is EXACTLY! That's why Archmage has so much for you to do because there is so much more to being in a game world than just slaying stuff (as important as slaying stuff is).

How far/deep will the relations with people in the wolrd go. You said you are inspired by Pirates but while it was a great game the relation between you and your spouse were really limited. Will I be able to have a conversation with my wife, send her to do something, produce children, will the spouse give me gift when I return, or will I have to give her gifts to keep some relation bar high? Will she cook for me giving me some stat boosts I don't get eating/sleeping in a tavern ? (home sweet home modifier :P ). Will the family of my spouse try to take revenge on me if I treat her badly ? (selling her off).
How will having children work? Is there a passage of time ? Can I train up my kid to be a second Wizard and include him in my party?

Short answer is: Yes!
Clearly you "get" what this game is doing. These are some really good ideas and I've just brought them to the dev team to consider because I think you said it better than I did. :)

Also you said the game is inspired by Raistlin Majere, but can I play as something like Palin Majere, get my fingers broken by the villains and become a jaded and disilusioned grump of a wizard? :P

Yes, you can be as Palin or as Raistlin or as Fistandantilus as you want to be. In fact, some of the late game content is very Fistandantilus inspired.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom