Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Archmage Rises - the play-how-you-want mage simulator - now available on Early Access

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
"and there might be certain actions that you can do in order to expedite breaking their will"

oh most certainly ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

5853844+_91e1d436dc30e5912e2dc999d3bde515.jpg

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I swear this is one of the most Codexian games ever. They are correct when they say it's so far the closest PnP sandbox has ever come to being a functional, fun video game.

Too bad you can only play as a mage (I love them, but we do have here quite a community of berserk, skull smashing barbarians) so who knows, expansions? :troll:

Just please, in very likely case the wife of this brave fellow is reading Codex, do NOT, I repeat do NOT divorce (at least not yet) this brave, gentle, kind and great husband of yours. I understand that you're going right now through some hardships, that milk bottle in fridge is always empty, garbage not taken out, mortgage not paid off, kids have to share same shoes when they go to school and dog hasn't been fed in weeks so it had to resort to eating postman which is good because then all the unpaid bills can't reach you. But do not let all of that put you down! Your husband and his band of brave pioneers are on the verge of something truly epic! We are so close to being able to torch down village with our fire spells, enslave surving women and enjoy their company from the top of our Mage Tower while our constructs and their husbands are working below in the fields. You have no right, nay, PRIVILEGE to take this from us and the world only because of your selfish concerns and baby's need to be fed.

Endure.

Sincerely, RPG Codex

laclongquan

Arcane
LordYabo There's one factor that might affect your art, town map, and all.

Every town need a river, be it small or big. A musthave water source, a convenient method to transport food, a convenient place to flush your garbage downriver...

Even if you get your drinking water by magic, the other aspects cant be easily satisfied.

Do you see any modern town without river? If you considering magic to be electric? No, right?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
LordYabo There's one factor that might affect your art, town map, and all.

Every town need a river, be it small or big. A musthave water source, a convenient method to transport food, a convenient place to flush your garbage downriver...

Come on, a river might be ideal but plenty of towns used to get by on very deep wells. As for sewers, that's what streets were for. Think about it, you can't put a town on a hilltop--ideal for defense--and adjacent to a river at the same time.

It's a good point though. Far too many games treat rivers as convenient barriers rather than the arteries of civilization that they really are.

laclongquan

Arcane
It's a fucking must. Deep well might provide for drinking water but nowhere near enough for a town sized population.

I mean, even if you got a freaking archwizard open the gateway to Water Plane, you still need those water to run on big enough channel to : 1. clean clothes, 2. pour waste to let it flow, 3. let barges carry food into town at very low cost compared to land transport etc... And even if you got an archwizard to make an artificial river like that, once he die the river die and so gone the town. Every town that doesnt have its own archwizard still have to rely on natural river.
(street is fine and all for sewer but you ever think how waste flow once it leave street? Lying and piling on open grounds outside of town? Eek)

SIDE NOTE: you know what's a fortress on the hilltop in the face of some wizard? Freaking target practice. They move to a covered place, do a fireball shooting, then move to another cover. Or call for clouds then summon some lightning bolts on their spike ass.

With fortress on plain ground that might not work due to higher places in civilian housing (cathedral, tower, stuffs). But a fortress on the hilltop is just sitting ducks for wizards.

Last edited:

B0rt

Novice
bumpin this thread because of dev effot, winner attitude.

oh and I'll actually probably play the game too. looks fun!

Not sure how anyone can compare this to "That Which Sleeps" -- a large % of this game seems to have actually been completed, thus making it a totally different kind of thing.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Too bad you can only play as a mage (I love them, but we do have here quite a community of berserk, skull smashing barbarians)
Sup bro?

Sup, kind sir. Currently we might not have exactly what you need but I assure you, being a Battlemage is next best thing for skull smashing and bone cracking after Barbarian.

I also agree btw with others that this game might finally allow us to experience what a mage's life in believable world would look like. In other words, you'd easily be able to make everyone your bitch (or in this game concubine). That is until her ex who happens to be a Barbarian attacks you from behind with his Big Barbarian Battle axe (BBB)...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

We are in Portland for CGDC! We recorded live from the show. This week we introduce James our musician who has been working on the game since the first year. The interview ends up a mess. You've been warned! :)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

We show how NPC interaction goes far beyond anything found in any other game. ANY NPC can join you and participate in ANYTHING from fishing to fighting, dance to dungeons. We're not entirely done implementing it so the graphics are placeholder and there is some more work to be done, but this should give a good idea on how it will work.

ArchAngel

Arcane

We show how NPC interaction goes far beyond anything found in any other game. ANY NPC can join you and participate in ANYTHING from fishing to fighting, dance to dungeons. We're not entirely done implementing it so the graphics are placeholder and there is some more work to be done, but this should give a good idea on how it will work.

Am I the only one that read this as fisting? :D

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
This game seems similar to how I wish I could be allowed to play my sorcerer in DnD; which is without the restrictive rules and other constraints. Really looking forward to this one.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Well in dnd you really are just a,combatant and nothing more. An ultra good one, but always just limited to be a combatant, whereas in your usual magic society, mages especially archmages have considerable power, closer to a demigod even and have political influence and all of those social influence stuff which this game wants to emulate

vonAchdorf

Arcane
They are extremely consistent wth their Monday updates. And infi has a new regular thing to post on Mondays after Cobbet's columns was discontinued. ;)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

We dive into progress this week in generating the living breathing world and then layout the 3 steps necessary to getting Build 11 out in, we think, early Sept.

Morkar Left

Really interested in this game. The concept is awesome anyway, the execution we will see. I hope for the best, fingers crossed.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

This week is a short week because Thomas is heading off to GEN CON 50, 50 years of the best 4 days in gaming! So we taken on recently asked questions from Steam, FB, and YouTube and give you answers, some you've never heard before!

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
I have been watching their videos this week. It's crazy. These guys are crazy. I think they will pull it off. They are insane enough to pull out these features.

Plus they got most of the features demoed in the videos. I dunno about the alpha. But everything looks very inpressive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom