Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are there any codex approved games that are actually good?

janior

Arcane
Patron
lucas9 is even worse then roqua

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
You didn't had the balls to create your own thread to bash Arcanum, Iren did it for you.

Sorry, if I wanted attention for bashing a popular game in some forum I would go to 4chan.

And we're not even mentioning your issues with Gothic's controls.

Two popular games.

If you care about tags , Bethestard will be the right one for you .

I recognize an addicting game when I play one. If I were in a desert island, I'd rather have Skyrim than Fallout-completed-in-twenty-hours-1.

pippin

You didn't had the balls to create your own thread to bash Arcanum, Iren did it for you.

Sorry, if I wanted attention for bashing a popular game in some forum I would go to 4chan.

And we're not even mentioning your issues with Gothic's controls.

Two popular games.

If you care about tags , Bethestard will be the right one for you .

I recognize an addicting game when I play one. If I were in a desert island, I'd rather have Skyrim than Fallout-completed-in-twenty-hours-1.

Arcanum and Gothic are popular games. People at imageboards almost exclusively play japanese games and AAA releases.

Sjukob

Arcane
I would rather prefer to have my mouth filled with shit , then having a good meal .

You also have to introduce some improbable conditions to justify your choice , you can not seriously claim that Skyrim is better than Fallout , that would too retarded even for you .

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
You also have to introduce some improbable conditions to justify your choice , you can not seriously claim that Skyrim is better than Fallout , that would too retarded even for you .

I would expect people who play RPGs to have a bare minimum of reading comprehension, especially one who plays Arcanum. But enlighten me: when did I claim Skyrim is a better game than Fallout?

Arcanum and Gothic are popular games. People at imageboards almost exclusively play japanese games and AAA releases.

Good job on missing the point. I don't create a thread bashing a popular game because I don't care about people agreeing or disagreeing with my views, especially when disagreeing almost always results on mindless insults thrown my way.

caldera

Novice
I keep forgetting... how important it is what everyone else in this virtual space likes :)

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I would expect people who play RPGs to have a bare minimum of reading comprehension, especially one who plays Arcanum. But enlighten me: when did I claim Skyrim is a better game than Fallout?
I'd rather have Skyrim than Fallout

Isn't it a non-straight comparison on subjective level ?

Oh yes, the old "quote out of context".

"I recognize an addicting game when I play one. If I were in a desert island, I'd rather have Skyrim than Fallout-completed-in-twenty-hours-1."

Skyrim is a much longer game than Fallout. That is a fact. Is it a better game? Of course not. Even if you enjoyed first-person games over isometric games Fallout is just much more finely crafted. A true master piece. But it's a 20-hours long masterpiece, and in a desert island, I want to play something that will keep me engaged for longer, even if it's not as good as Fallout.

A better analogy would be: if I were in a desert island, I'd rather wipe my ass with tons of leaves than just one piece of TP. The former will last much longer than the later.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Dude in a desert island you have no electricity to play games XD

Screen_Shot_2012-09-13_at_9.39.39_AM.png

Codex approved RPGs that are actually good:

Fallout 1-2, New Vegas (modded)
Gothic 1-2
Planescape: Torment
Deus Ex (modded)
Betrayal at Krondor
Ultima Underworld 1-2, Arx Fatalis
Baldur's Gate 1-2
System Shock 2

Codex approved RPGs that are good but also deeply flawed:

Arcanum
The Witcher
VtM: Bloodlines
Mask of the Betrayer

Codex approved RPGs that are shit:

Morrowind
KotOR II
Temple of Elemental Evil

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Are there any codex approved games that are actually good? I'm having troubles finding one.

Very often it's not entirely about 'good'. This is what befuddles a lot of retards straight out the traps. Yes, I did just kinda intentionally offend you there. Sorry about that. There's a basic standard of expectation which a lot of games achieve, and I mean a lot, but there's also an even vaster number of games which don't even make the cut for basic expectations, such as flash games, mobile games, some MMOs, lots of console games blah blah blah, but also games which are just unplayable due to bugs and poor optimisation.

The codex approved list is just a summary of which PC games the visitors to this site have found the most affection for. While the lists are mostly common sense, the codex lists will, unusually, include games that were bugged out messes or poorly optimised at release because people have played heavily modded versions, so, when they vote for something it's actually a modded version, not the regular release, something which would confuse someone who is unaware of this.

Another common element to this site is it's pride in exclaiming the freedom to be negative. This resulted in a huge influx of posters from the shitstorm on the No Mutants Allowed forum (the Fallout forums) when Bethesda started making Fallout games:

Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout: New Vegas
Planescape: Torment
Deus Ex
Morrowind

I have a big list of rpgs to play, but those I've played (especially Morrowind and New Vegas) and enjoyed.

I'm not saying this particular poster is such a person, but you can't move more than an inch round here for someone praising Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas; the strange and only slightly understandable desire to praise anything Bethesda pre-Oblivion but to hate everything Bethesda post-Oblivion; the idea that PS:T is in some way the best IE game, even though it's the buggiest, weakest in gameplay and was the least popular upon original release; that Deus Ex is somehow not just an intelligent persons shooter but a genius RPG.

If the guy had mentioned System Shock 2 then you'd have a 2016 carbon copy generic Codex Poster (tm).

I don't deny Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas are good games. I just find them all shit for different reasons combined with the fact that I have no interest in the Post-Apoc setting generally. Not because they are shit games, they're not, they're just shit for me, because I can't last much more than the first few hours before I quit in despair. Similarly I find both Morrowind and Deus Ex shit. Not because they're shit games, but because I have no interest in First Person Shooters or First Person Fantasy nor a whole host of other gameplay features that repel me like the smell of old socks. PS:T I thoroughly enjoyed, but I still have no desire to ever replay it many years down the line, now that's not a statement which proves its shit, but it's a statement that says I prefer playing other types of games and that replay value is important for me.

To me, this guy doesn't even represent the concept of RPGs, it's like the guy's allergic to fantasy. Yes, I know, what is fantasy? Blah blah blah, but you know exactly what I'm talking about. Just because generic fantasy is overexposed and devs shy away from inserting any sense of original fantasy to the generic norms doesn't mean I throw the baby out with the bathwater, I just find the fantasy games I like among the red herrings instead of over subjecting myself to every shitpiece which claims to have Elves/Dwarfs and fireballs.

However, this guy and his tastes just happen to be the dominant voice on the codex at this point in time. So what ya gonna do...? Me? Nothing, just sit and wait for tastes to change again.

What can I advise for you as 'codex approved' cRPGs that are 'actually good'?

Well how about you actually communicate what kind of shit you like eating first you imbecilic egofed attention whoring dickhead?

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I'm not saying this particular poster is such a person, but you can't move more than an inch round here for someone praising Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas; the strange and only slightly understandable desire to praise anything Bethesda pre-Oblivion but to hate everything Bethesda post-Oblivion; the idea that PS:T is in some way the best IE game, even though it's the buggiest, weakest in gameplay and was the least popular upon original release; that Deus Ex is somehow not just an intelligent persons shooter but a genius RPG.

It's not that I hate everything post-Oblivion. Like I mentioned somewhere else, I enjoy Skyrim (and to a much, much lesser extent Fallout 3. Why play FO3 when New Vegas is around is beyond me). But I wouldn't recommend Skyrim to someone looking for a compelling RPG experience, because there's basically none. All your do in Skyrim is LARP because NPCs don't give two shits about your skills.

I can't speak about the IE games since the one I've got the farthest so far is PS:T. And about Deus Ex: it's a good RPG for what it is.

To me, this guy doesn't even represent the concept of RPGs, it's like the guy's allergic to fantasy.

B-but I still haven't got around to play all these games. (Missing VtM: Bloodlines, Dark Souls I & II, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon's Dogma)

RPGs_to_Play.png

I just didn't want to recommend a game I have actually played.

Lhynn

Arcane
Play knights of the chalice, you retarded shitstain.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom