Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are there any games that do interesting things with AI anymore?

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
In 2006 Oblivion came out with its infamous "radiant AI", which was basically a scam that brought endless nightmares with those mudcrab discussions among other things, but it did also manage to bring a couple of welcome new things to the series, like NPCs that were capable of doing things beyond just standing in one place forever. Of course, that had already been seen years before that in games like Gothic and Outcast, but it was nonetheless a welcome step forward for the particular series (and more or less the only thing where Oblivion was in some way an improvement over its predecessors). It was such a big deal that they made it one of the biggest points in their marketing, and even though they lied to you as much as they possibly could in the process, it was nice for them to put some focus on that kind of stuff.

But then, five to ten years later, you launch a "best game of all time" like Skyrim or the newest "Fallout", and it's exactly the same thing. You initiate a fight with a person who's supposed to resemble an actual human being, and what does he do? He takes a beeline towards you and politely hits every single trap between you two without stopping, not caring that he's thirty levels below you, is wearing a tunic and is only armed with a rusty dagger while you walk around in Daedric/Power armor carrying weapons of mass destruction in each hand. Another enemy might be just willingly standing in the open while you shoot it full of arrows or bullets. There is no cooperation, there are no tactics, there is no sense of self-preservation; the "people" act exactly like any bear or deathclaw or whatever murderous beast the game world has been populated with. You go to the nearest town and grab a companion with you, and he's so suicidal that the devs had to have him godmode so that he wouldn't die five seconds after joining you. He'll run into your line of fire, get stuck in the terrain, run into holes they can't get out of, start attacking enemies while you try to sneak past them, set off every trap there is in a dungeon, and generally make sure that none of your well-thought-out plans can possibly succeed.

And this isn't just about these specific games. It applies to everything, good games and bad, and no one seems to really have a problem with it. You play the newest isometric old school RPG, and the combat is fucking shit compared to ancient stuff like Sword Coast Stratagems or JA2 1.13, one of the reasons (but not the only one, obvously) being that the AI is uncapable of doing anything interesting or clever. It is pretty much a given that the AI in a new game is shit, especially if that game happens to belong into the RPG genre (for some reason it still seems to be okay for an entire village to attack the PC and beat him to death if someone spots him stealing a carrot), and everyone seems to be fine with it.

Another example is the FPS genre, where AI was kind of a big deal around 2000 or so. With Unreal and Half-Life the AI enemies learned some new tricks and could, for example, try to flank you, fall back, play dead, set up ambushes, alert their friends or do some rather "human" things, like throwing grenades into places where they last saw you, even if you had already managed to slip away. After those games it wasn't really acceptable to have enemies just brainlessly attacking you, at least if they were human, and enemies were usually given at least some basic maneuvres they could pull off to make your life a bit more difficult, like shooting from behind cover, rolling away to dodge bullets, crouching or going prone to make themselves smaller targets, and maybe even manipulating objects in the game world, like flipping a table and then using it as a primitive cover.

In 2001 you had Operation Flashpoint, where the AI was capable of pulling off some really cool stuff seemingly on its own. You could be a part of a squad that was commanded by an AI-controlled officer, who kept giving orders to you as well as other AI soldiers, who used their artificial brain the best they could to fulfill those orders. If you happened to be the squad leader yourself, you could give the AI squad members orders like "get into that truck and drive it all the way to this town on the other side of the island", and they'd usually get it done. In the biggest missions you could have hundreds of AI-controlled units giving orders to each other, driving all sorts of vehicles and trying their best to fulfill the tasks they were given, reacting to things happening around them in a rather believeable way, at least for most of the time. Hell, you could create such a mission yourself in five minutes, and the AI could probably make it work with just some very vague instructions, with no need for elaborate scripts or anything like that.

F.E.A.R. was probably one of the last shooters where you could tell that they really put some effort into their AI, but after that the whole issue seems to have been all but forgotten. The Far Cry 2 devs were pretty enthusiastic about some of their AI stuff, for example about how the AI enemies could try to drag an injured buddy into safety, but most developers hardly even seem to mention AI in any way. Or maybe I'd just remember more examples if there were some shooters I was actually looking forward to, I don't know. Wake me up when something decent comes out.

Nowadays it just seems that all the AI does in a shooter is sitting behind a box and occasionally popping out to take a shot at you, maybe sometimes even rushing towards your position or throwing grenades at you. That's it. No flanking (to be fair, it's hard to flank someone when the world is just one long corridor), no teamwork, absolutely nothing interesting, just repeating the same simplistic pattern in every situation.

Stealth games, the rare ones we get, still suffer from the same problems we had with the very first Thief, meaning that the AI guards don't notice a fellow guard missing from its post, or manage to make even the simplest of deductions about where the player character might've gone. The Hitman series has come up with some nice ideas every now and then, but for every step forward they seem to have taken one or two steps backwards. Kudos for trying, I guess, but Absolution was a complete trainwreck in more ways than one, and the new one still seems quite unfinished in the AI department from what I can tell.

When reading developer interviews from about fifteen years ago, AI was a very common subject, almost regardless of the genre, but nowadays it seems it's hardly even talked about. A good AI is incredibly important in certain strategy games and sports games, and you can occasionally see some clear evolution in those genres, but that's about it. Of course, there's probably a lot of under-the-hood stuff that easily goes unnoticed, like with open-world games that try to simulate a functioning world, but especially combat AI seems to be as poor as ever. Like so many things from the 90's, a great AI is one of those ideas that you expected to happen sooner rather than later but which never really came to be.

tl;dr: Is the AI in games any better than it was fifteen years ago? Is that famous nostalgia clouding my judgment so that the decline is just in my head? Are there any relatively recent games that manage to do interesting things with their AI, especially when it comes to combat?

Are there any relatively recent games that manage to do interesting things with their AI?

Well I don't know any modern game with revolutionary AI, but from what I have heard Ultima 7: The Black Gate does some interesting things in this aspect with all(?) the characters in towns having a daily agenta of activities.

I don't know for sure because I couldn't play the game in my (Windows 8) pc but maybe it's worth a try?

Last edited:

dbx

Arcane
Patron
The problem is that no one who knows how to program good AI is going to waste their time on the game industry.

Personally it's exactly that. There's no way in hell i'm going to waste time, sanity and health coding AI for games. Or anything gaming related for that matter.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
The problem is that no one who knows how to program good AI is going to waste their time on the game industry.
It's true, but I don't believe that's all there is to it, since there are older games that have done much more impressive things with AI than the latest AAA releases.

Well I don't know any modern game with revolutionary AI, but from what I have heard Ultima 7: The Black Gate does some interesting things in this aspect with all(?) the characters in towns having a daily agenta of activities.
Yeah, it has NPC schedules among other things and probably should've been mentioned in the OP. The NPCs also react to your actions in different ways, like telling you to stop moving their furniture around. It's certainly a cool game in this aspect, in some ways superior to newer open-world RPGs.

Beowulf

Arcane
Good AI in combat games (and I'm just repeating myself here):
- Command Ops series by Panther Games
- Graviteam games, a lond distance away, but second place.
The GalCiv 2 AI was singled out in reviews as really good as well.
I've heard the same (but haven't played it myself), about patched AI in Pandora: First Contact. Isn't the guy who did that AI, working on some other game right now?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Pretty much this. Programming good AI is hell of a difficult, and can cause massive bugs if they mess it up. And to be honest, in the end it doesn't add that much extra to the game that it worth the extra time and money. Even in the old games which had good AI, having good level design, story, combat system, music, artstyle is what I remember them, not because the AI pulled something clever. I end up murder them anyway.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain as a very good AI
You can LOL about that, but the guards really pull off some interesting moves, like noticing missing soldiers, destroyed light sources and stuff, calling in backup, having doubts about seeing someone or not.

Obviously there are shortcomings, but the AI in that game is not LOL worthy. It is good.

Beowulf

Arcane
You can LOL about that, but the guards really pull off some interesting moves, like noticing missing soldiers, destroyed light sources and stuff, calling in backup, having doubts about seeing someone or not.

Obviously there are shortcomings, but the AI in that game is not LOL worthy. It is good.

I concur, their spectrum of reactions is impressive. But it's hamstrung by the way it's programmed - i.e. being to lenient to the player.
They doubt to much ("Huh, was it really comrade Ivan being carried away by a balloon? Let me ponder on it a little"), and they cut the chase and call off the search a little to early to be that big of a problem.

Last edited:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
This sounds cool and something that should really become the standard in stealth games, even though I was never really interested in the MGS series in the first place.

The mod scene seems to be more clever than the actual developers in this area, really, as it has implemented some cool things years ago while similar stuff is sorely missing in many new titles. Various Thief modders have fiddled around with how guards react to doused light sources, for example, and the GMDX (Ash) mod for Deus Ex also does a number of neat tricks. The NPCs may react to you carrying a box of explosives, for instance, and of course their general behaviour is tweaked in pretty much every way from their pathfinding to their use of different abilities, so that the enemies are much more challenging and unpredictable to fight.

STALKER:SoC?
I don't remember, was there anything that particularly stood out about the AI? I recall it being quite good if rather buggy (the AI will try to flank you, can do some basic teamwork and will also fight each other every now and then, but it also tends to have x-ray vision and sometimes thinks that the best course of action is to just stand around in the open while getting shot at). I definitely like the fact that there are big differences in the behaviour of different enemy types, though.

Last edited:

Lucky

Arcane
The FPS genre is honestly a pretty uninteresting area to look for AI improvements in. Look at me, I put all this work into simulating an internal logic that accurately reflects what is the best decision for that character to make at a specific point in time, taking into account their actual circumstances rather than some baseline that you cheated them into knowing, so that they may flank slightly better before getting shot in the face. You won't find any good AI scientists dedicate their time to researching this for the same reason as to why the industry does not attract good writers, because all attempts at nuance get stretched out so far that you can see the result from orbit and all the people that remain are the type that see depth in finger doodling.
There's still promising AI projects, they're only more often passion projects that won't be to everyone's taste. Grandroids, for example.

Leitz

Learned
Pretty much this. Programming good AI is hell of a difficult, and can cause massive bugs if they mess it up. And to be honest, in the end it doesn't add that much extra to the game that it worth the extra time and money. Even in the old games which had good AI, having good level design, story, combat system, music, artstyle is what I remember them, not because the AI pulled something clever. I end up murder them anyway.

I will never forget the shootouts with the marines in Half Life. I remember saving in front of them, so I could play them over and over again. That's why I think the Black Mesa marines were slow, boring rehash, that didn't add anything with half of the HL2 AI. For me it was defining.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was also going to say Half-Life. I remember being amazed that the insects on the ground would scurry off if you shone the flashlight at them. Not exactly a modern release but still noteworthy

Endemic

Arcane
I definitely like the fact that there are big differences in the behaviour of different enemy types, though.

It did a better job of being "radiant" than Oblivion AI. It felt like a miniature ecosystem.

Beowulf

Arcane
Half Life and FEAR are the most memorable, because you fought against squads. I think that the high impact it made was because of their banter mid-fight, which might give the impression that they were more working as a team, than the AI actually allowed them to.
I actually played through the beginning of FEAR during the weak, and I was really impressed by how much it added to the overall feeling of fighting real squad of soldiers.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
You won't find any good AI scientists dedicate their time
Of course, but we're talking about game developers rather than AI scientists, and as some of the above posts show, improvements in the AI can have a huge impact on gameplay. The FPS genre is an easy example because in those games it's the easiest to observe what the AI actually does, as opposed to something like strategy games where it's generally much harder to see the reasoning behind the AI's decisions (although I still can't understand why, even after all these years and like a dozen different games, the AI in the Total War series can't do anything remotely clever in combat aside from some basic flanking maneuvres, so that you can tear them apart with one or two clever moves pretty much every time). The question isn't about why there are no games with great AI, it's about why the evolution of AI in games has all but stopped, to a point where it is hardly even discussed nowadays.

Beowulf

Arcane
I think it's because of the natural evolution of this virtual entertainment market.

When companies started pumping more money to PR and marketing departments, it was only inevitable that suits capable of doing basic math would come up with the idea, that it's more financially beneficial to invest in flashy trailers and animations and effects you can show in them, so you gather more revenue form day 1 purchases, than any long lasting positive impression about some aspects of the game (like AI) might bring. And the AI will be at most mentioned in the footnote of the dorito fuelled review.

But, like with any bigger branch of entertainment industry, you can still find projects that are labour of love, and likewise - sites dedicated to finding them.

Llama-Yak Hybrid

Wild Sheep
Dumbfuck
from what I have heard Ultima 7: The Black Gate does some interesting things in this aspect with all(?) the characters in towns having a daily agenta of activities.
It has detailed character schedules which was mind-blowing back then and when compared to many RPG's(including basically every single modern one) it still is but by itself the AI was very "static" and hardly reacted to anything you've did, including stealing shit from them.
I don't know for sure because I couldn't play the game in my (Windows 8) pc but maybe it's worth a try?
You have Jaesun post with Exult setup guide in sign few posts above, check it now.

Endemic

Arcane
The industry favours scripted, action-oriented games because they're easier to market as Beowulf says.

Emergent gameplay is more interesting than just AI by itself (see: Falcon 4.0's dynamic campaigns, nukes and arty hitting aircraft in SupCom, that kind of thing).

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Best AIs I've seen:
The bots in Unreal (the original)
Some of the mages in Baldur's Gate 1-2 using Sword Coast Strategems

Games in which I'd pay good money to get better AI, since these games are otherwise near perfect:
Civilization, and Age of Wonders (especially SM) games

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom