Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are there still any multiplayer FPS worth learning?

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Which are worth setting up local multiplayer and still also have some online community.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Killing Floor 2 is fun if you can ignore the loot crate BS and play with friends. Killing Floor 1 is also still good and has much more custom maps and no microtransaction crap.

The only other modern FPS I play with some regularity are Day of Infamy (WW2) and Insurgency (Middle East) by the same devs. I mainly play the co-op game modes like "Hunt".

Killing Floor 2 devs are so busy with their nickle and dime Crate Economy that they still haven't patched in an easy to use Host Listen Server option. Fortunately some talented coder created the Killing Floor Server Tool which makes hosting servers a breeze:

Xlfcwxm.jpg

Another relatively modern game we still play from time to time is Daedalus no Escape which is a top-down arena shooter. Sadly it never got the attention it deserves and nobody knows the game. Fortunately it has decent bots. It can be played online and over a LAN, comes with level editor and has a built-in option to download custom maps.

Last edited:

lophiaspis

Arbiter
Pirates, Vikings and Knights 2
-no consolization/koreanization
-unique 3-way gameplay
-funny characters, good VA
-great melee system
-free on steam

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I play CS:GO. Love the game, people are surprisingly nice too recently, I guess the "Trust Factor" is working.
I think Insurgency, Day of Infamy, Rising Storm 2 and Midair are good, although Midair is kinda dead and players only play pugs and LCTF which I don't like. I'd wait for F2P release instead because of this.

Aoyagi

Scholar
I'm going to agree with Insurgency and Day of Infamy. Payday 2 is still very active, but it's PvE only (like Killing Floor, Vermintide, Left4Dead, really).

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
CSGO and Overwatch. But if you want to truly get fun then go to 1.6 and Source, their communities and mods still live as ever. Same for Team fortress 2 and L4D2.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Which are worth setting up local multiplayer and still also have some online community.

LAN is as dead as bots unfortunately.

Rainbow 6 Siege, if you want a competitive shooter that requires more than just twitch reflexes.

Rocket League, if you want something different but very fun.

Titanfall 2, it has skill based movement and mechas (altough I am not sure it still has an active community).

Project M, best fighting game ever made.

bloodlover

Arcane
CoD4 still has many servers where people play. Most have martyrdom and noob tubing disabled as well as admins on, so the gaming experience is not ruined.

sullynathan

Arcane
going to cautiously +1 insurgency because it is quite complete as a multiplayer fps if you're playing with others and my brother has put more than 2000 hours in it so it can't be that bad.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
SQUAD is fun. Teamwork is a must to win. Just avoid the Patton wannabes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom