Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Areal, STALKER spiritual successor by West Games - LOL CANCELLED

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Do you remember game named Seed that's developed by the people who made megamod for STALKER: Call of Pripyat called Misery?
Now there is "spiritual succesor of STALKER developed by ex-GSC"
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1577656602/175081935?token=a57d4a63

:yeah::incline:

And required dosh is quite low because "they test the field for kickstarting such project".

Silly Rabbit

Learned
Do you remember game named Seed that's developed by the people who made megamod for STALKER: Call of Pripyat called Misery?
Now there is "spiritual succesor of STALKER developed by ex-GSC"
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1577656602/175081935?token=a57d4a63

:yeah::incline:

And required dosh is quite low because "they test the field for kickstarting such project".

You will get the digital version of Areal on either Windows, Linux, Mac, PS4, Wii U or Xbox One.

Spiritual successor my ass. :keepmyjewgold:

The 30k goal sounds also pretty low for a project of such magnitude.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Yeah, this is embarrasing. Woud cause much butthurt on neoFAG it there was any PC gamer in that forum...
Still - it's fucking STALKER! Praise the CheekiBreeki!

Silly Rabbit

Learned
Yeah, this is embarrasing. Woud cause much butthurt on neoFAG it there was any PC gamer in that forum...
Still - it's fucking STALKER! Praise the CheekiBreeki!

Well let's hope for the best and prepare for the worst (aka consolisation). :|

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Well, saw the team, there is no kwans so it's good sign. Even if consolisation/tabletation happen - shouldn't that horrible I hope so Like Metro?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
That rainbow cat looks like something from Avatar.

It will probably be trash. Multiplat FPS that has nothing to it except riding STALKER's fame, they just want to get some exposition to find a publisher

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Cat? I though it was wolf.

Speaking about multiplatforming. Not offend if they abandon that part....
There is some things that console peasants cannot understand - STALKER can't be released on consoles, not because the graphic. You have game with big maps, where's constant war between factions and mutants vs human. All controled by different AI (yeah little people, they got fucking AI), with stuff like ballistic calculation, NPC activity (temporary camps).
Console peasants just cannot understand that. They cannot understand that decent GPU/CPU in their tiny boxes, mounted in some asian shithole, is not enough to something different than graphic.

It remind me old day when Beth showed F3. Time wasted to convince people (especially console filths) that (iso to FPP) perspective wasn't a problem.
Hard to get it, when you write to people who only need games where you just shoot, with some minor stuff like gore and exploration. Or just some RPG elements, whose mandatory even for multiplayer FPSes.

Astral Rag

Arcane
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...l-successor-to-s-t-a-l-k-e-r-hits-kickstarter

Definitive spiritual successor" to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. hits Kickstarter

UPDATE: Survarium dev Vostok speaks to Eurogamer.

By Robert Purchese Published Wednesday, 25 June 2014

UPDATE 12PM BST: I've spoken to Survarium developer Vostok Games - founded by former S.T.A.L.K.E.R. devs - about Areal.

The biggest concern is West-Games apparently using footage and assets from the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series to represent Areal.

"My biggest concern with West-Games is using the footage and assets of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and representing them as their own, which is not only illegal, but simply just not right," Vostok's PR and marketing manager Oleg Yavorsky told me.

He said there was footage of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat used.

"I guess it's all made for the sake of getting extra publicity (which unfortunately works), but guys on Kickstarter should probably pay attention."

Whether any legal action will be pursued is up to GSC, the existing shell of the developer that made - and owns - S.T.A.L.K.E.R..

Another irritant for Yavorsky and Vostok was West-Games' claim of being comprised of developers who were considered the core S.T.A.L.K.E.R. team. GSC infamously took ages making the game, announcing it in 2001 for release in 2003, but subsequently delaying and delaying until a buggy release in 2007.

Many people worked on the game in those years, Yavorsky argued.

"So that you understand, since the long years of development of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and then Metro, there have been literally hundreds of people involved in working on their bits and pieces, starting from beta-testers up to modellers responsible for certain weaponry models," he said.

"Many people came to the studio to work for a few months just for the sake of adding S.T.A.L.K.E.R. development to their portfolio. Frequently they claimed afterwards to be the 'core' developers behind the game - you wouldn't know anyway, right?"

Specifically regarding the West-Games roster he said: "Well, some of those people did work for GSC for substantial periods of time. However their role as core team would be overestimated."

We've contacted both West-Games and GSC for comment.

UPDATE 10.30AM BST: The Areal Kickstarter has come under fire from Vostok Games, the studio formed when S.T.A.L.K.E.R. developer GSC collapsed, and the studio that's making its own thematic successor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R., called Survarium.

The bone of contention is West-Games claiming it is made up of staff that made S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Metro: Last Light when apparently it isn't.

Vostok spokesperson Joe Mullin wrote this in the Survarium forum (via VG247): "We have contacted GSC's lawyers regarding this fraudulent claim of being the developers of Stalker and Metro Last Light. Please do all you can do ensure people know these claims are false."

Since the original story was published, some pledges have been retracted. The project is now under half-funded, sitting at around $20,000 raised.

ORIGINAL STORY 9AM BST: An Eastern European, post-apocalyptic horror game called Areal is off to a great start on Kickstarter, raising more than half its low $50,000 goal in under 24 hours.

It's billed as the "definitive spiritual successor" to the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games and it's made by former GSC Game World (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.) and 4A Games (Metro: Last Light) staff. The new studio, West-Games, is based in Ukraine with an address in Las Vegas presumably for Kickstarter purposes.

West-Games described Areal as a "love letter" to fans of post-apocalyptic horror games. It sounds ambitious: big open world, non-linear story, modifiable weaponry, usable vehicles, adaptive AI and... a release on nearly every platform under the sun, including Wii U (PS4, Xbox One, Wii U, PC and Mac).

There's a core team of 11 experienced developers and the project is clearly more than just words, as glimpsed in the Kickstarter video. The art depicts a colourful and eye-catching world based around the "unearthly" and corrupting meteoric material of Metamorphite.

But can $50,000 really fund "the culmination of everything that we want to see from a post apocalyptic game", as West-Games put it? No; the core team has invested their savings and Kickstarter success will "open up a ton of financial options for us that will make sure that Areal becomes the AAA title that it was always envisioned as".

"All we need is for the Kickstarter and S.T.AL.K.E.R. community to support our Kickstarter, and Areal is guaranteed an unhurried and complete release."

A pledge of $25 secures you a copy of the game on any platform when it eventually comes out - a date estimated as September 2015, which also sounds ambitious to me.

Areal being the "definitive spiritual successor" to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. may be a proclamation Vostok Games takes none too kindly to. Vostok, after all, was the studio that rose from GSC Game World's ashes to make what it called a spiritual successor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Survarium. That game's in beta and is due out at some point later this year.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Or make thread for STALKER clones.
-Seed chapter I (by people who made Misery for S:Call of Pripyat)
-Areal
-Dangerous Rays
-some multiplayer Stalker clone that everyone want to forget

Acutally - discusion in STALKER thread is so tiny, not sure if worth to watered it down.

Sodafish

Arcane
I'd like to be all :bounce: over this, but thus far "spiritual successor" has been synonymous with fail.

Darklife

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I'm pretty sure the guys at Vostok have a point. Core developers went on to make real games like Metro or the upcoming Survarium, not embark on some Kickstarter scam 3 years after Stalker 2 was cancelled.

Also, I'm pretty sure GSC will sue the living shit out of them for that promo video, they just shamelessly use assets from the Stalker series.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Core STALKER team went to make Metro. I'm pretty sure the next Metro game would be open-world, sandboxy like STALKER.

Ivan

Arcane
Ha! On consoles? You wish. However, Survarium is going to feature a free roam multiplayer mode a la Stalker.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Ha! On consoles? You wish. However, Survarium is going to feature a free roam multiplayer mode a la Stalker.

Survarium doesn't have A-life. Survarium has bunny hopping 13-year-old real human player one shotting you with overpowered real money P2W guns while talking shit on mic. That ruins the atmosphere.

DraQ

Arcane

Survarium doesn't have A-life. Survarium has bunny hopping 13-year-old real human player one shotting you with overpowered real money P2W guns while talking shit on mic.
...Who also doesn't have a life.

:smug:

Essegi

Cipher
Update of kickstarter campaign about "fraudolent":
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1577656602/areal/posts/889637
We have contacted Vostok Games about their supposed claim that we are fraudulent. They say that they have no relation to that claim and have since deleted the forum topic (https://forum.survarium.com/en/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3450#wrap) wherein a moderator accused us of being fake. The Kickstarter comments section has been completely hijacked by a couple of people, and even if we comment there, our posts will be ignored and buried. Misery LTD in particular is developing another post apocalyptic video game and is stirring controversy to attract people to his Kickstarter project. I hope that you, our supporters, can see through this deliberate negativity and help us make an awesome game with Areal. Update 2 is coming later today, and will clarify things even further.

--Eugene Kim
Comments of people are not enthusastic too...

Btw.... Being an huge Stalker fan i resolve in that way: have no expectations...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom