Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
More like he will "work" on Fallout 5 for 40 hours or so. What was the last time he was lead on anything instead of just minor contribution to generate hype by mere association?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Nice cover art:

lzlX3w9.jpg

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Arkane honestly has yet to disappoint me so I'm interested by default. I just wonder if Prey is their safe AAA title so they can get more money for what they actually want to make. Also, it's kind of a weird name choice considering it doesn't seem to be a reboot or anything. Why name it Prey? Was Bethesda obliged to do to something with the license?

Fairfax

Arcane
Arkane honestly has yet to disappoint me so I'm interested by default. I just wonder if Prey is their safe AAA title so they can get more money for what they actually want to make. Also, it's kind of a weird name choice considering it doesn't seem to be a reboot or anything. Why name it Prey? Was Bethesda obliged to do to something with the license or something?
Probably because they already owned it, + illusion of some brand recognition, and also because it has the magical non-acronym 4-letter name that executives love.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Consdering the dirty business with Human Head Studios, it is possible that they're obliged to use the Prey name.

Perkel

Arcane
This is Arkane's System Shock 3 they were allegedly working on in 2007 until EA killed it.

I just hope there will be looting in it. I wanna pick up shit and flush toilets or else.

Well that is interesting then.

Still kind of hilarious that they want stick some used name on it badly.

tormund

Arcane
Name is used purely for marketing purposes (AAA industry fears new IPs like always, so existing IP is always preferable even if that IP is a forgotten FPS), but in this case I have nothing against it since the game looks promising enough.

One thing I dislike is the time this is placed in. "Ten years in the future" is one of the worst tropes among western SF. That sure doesn't look like the plausible vision of "year 2032" to me.

---

Arcane
I liked both Dishonored (despite its many flaws) and Arx Fatalis, I have good hopes about this one :)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
5-6 years after Dead Money, Chris's wish comes true.

He's a fan of Dead Space so the AAA part is no issue.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
It WAS the only interesting thing about bethesda conference, and now that we know MCA worked on it... :bounce::d1p:

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey nice, a game involving MCA.

"a first-person sci-fi action game", oh... yeah well... we'll see...

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

Well, the best we can hope for is a version of Bioshock Infinite where the story and characters aren't complete and total shit.

With Chris Avellone on board I think the chances of story and characters being shit are less likely, provided he is given actual influence.

Trailer is Hollywood-level generic, but I like Arkane and I like MCA, and either of them is enough to get me interested.
Just hope that they really push the envelope with the "morally dubious experiments" angle and it doesn't turn out to be the ISO standard "experiment gone wrong" plot.

tormund

Arcane
5-6 years after Dead Money, Chris's wish comes true.

He's a fan of Dead Space so the AAA part is no issue.
Relevant question is whether or not he is familiar with System Shock games.

"Spiritual successor" to System Shock ought be a gameplay/design-driven game (something Arkane games always were, whatever their flaws might be) first and foremost, story is less important.
Here's hoping that this won't turn out to be Bethesda's answer to Bioshock infinite.

Perkel

Arcane
2 years later in interview with codex:

'dex interviewer: On which parts of Prey 2 did you work on ?
MCA: 3rd ward and few npcs there
'di: On which characters precisely ?
MCA: On Tatiana and Jack
'di: Did producers cut something of you ?
MCA: ..... I ... I know making games is ... They had to cut most of the stuff i wrote for those characters and leave them with few lines.
'di: And the 3rd ward ?
MCA: There was plan to have some expansive quest outthere but producers had to trim it down a lot.
'di: What a shame
MCA: <cries>

tormund

Arcane
Is he really that much of a name outside of dedicated western RPG communities like this one though? So much that they would connect his name to a AAA game purely for marketing purposes?

---

Arcane
Is he really that much of a name outside of dedicated western RPG communities like this one though? So much that they would connect his name to a AAA game purely for marketing purposes?
He is quite known. Of course he is not a super star like in RPG communities, but he isn't a complete unknown, such as, for example, people like Fargo or Sawyer. There are more people than you would expect who played Torment and liked it.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I kinda liked the original Prey and wouldn't mind a sequel, but if Arkane is making this new 'Prey' and Avellone is involved, it might turn to be something decent after all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom