Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

Drax

Arcane
Ck9QtiOUUAAxZwm.jpg

:shredder:

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Can't tell if it's because you're excited for the prospects of exploring a space station or the fact that it looks sorta phallic.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Most likely, Chris was hired just to make sure writing isn't complete shit, like it was in original Prey (and Arkane games). If he writes the main story, however... This could be interesting.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
So you're saying Arkane is run by retards that will keep using a dead engine instead of one that is both shared and internal?

Development started in 2013, and at time CryEngine was apparently the only viable option. Id Tech 6 is fairly new and ergo not used, and id Tech 5 (Void) is only useful for mission-based games like Dishonored 2, while it has already been said that Prey is one big open space station.

So yeah, CryEngine is a good bet.

Use logic, faggot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_5

Actually their new engine (Void) is based on id tech 5.

And Harvey Smith already stated that they are using the Void engine.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
He did? You sure it wasn't about Dishonored 2?

It was about Dishonored 2. Wtf?

Edit: The original post was actually intended for Morgoth. Prey and Dishonored 2 are using the same engine (Void) which is based on idTech 5.

Last edited:

BobtheTree

Savant
It's so weird that they're sticking with the Prey name. Why even call it Prey at this point? Does the game even have any brand recognition at this point? Will the connection between the two games be anything more than tenuous at best?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
So you're saying Arkane is run by retards that will keep using a dead engine instead of one that is both shared and internal?

Development started in 2013, and at time CryEngine was apparently the only viable option. Id Tech 6 is fairly new and ergo not used, and id Tech 5 (Void) is only useful for mission-based games like Dishonored 2, while it has already been said that Prey is one big open space station.

So yeah, CryEngine is a good bet.

Use logic, faggot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Tech_5

Actually their new engine (Void) is based on id tech 5.

Isn't that what I just said? Learn to read.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It's so weird that they're sticking with the Prey name. Why even call it Prey at this point? Does the game even have any brand recognition at this point? Will the connection between the two games be anything more than tenuous at best?
We've reached the point they are willing to try a new IP as long as it uses an established name.

tormund

Arcane
I've said it before, for this industry existing IP is ALWAYS preferable to a brand new one (even if, like in this case, previous game from that IP is forgotten and new one doesn't have anything in common with it).

It is still possible that this game will tie into first Prey's story in one way or another, for whatever that's worth...

Beastro

Arcane
It reminds me of 70's/80s sci-fi art.

Not just Sci-Fi, but space art from the time as well. I really wish that style would come back.

pioneer-daily-galaxy.jpg

Everytime I think about it I wanna go dig up my old books about space from the 80s with pictures like that.

tormund

Arcane
Is first Prey worth playing?
It's decent. Basically a gimmicky linear shooter in the vein of HL2, only heavier on "puzzles".

It used bunch of cool tricks that made it feel legit weird and disorientating at some points, like going through random portal and exiting through another portal at what was basically a ceiling from your previous location, and then fighting enemies that are walking on ceilings or walls from your point of view. Those tricks with gravitation were p common. Or going through portal and exiting on some kind of miniaturized asteroid that looked like a small rock from your previous location, and having alien soldiers look like giants from your POV. Game was full of that kind of shit.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
The puzzles & trickery were nicely executed, the FPS part was shit though. Linear mindless blast-fest with underwhelming weaponry. I got about 3/4 way through the game, put it down and didn't look back. Would not play again.

Weapons did have cool visual designs at least (omg it's alive) but yeah using them was pretty boring. I still enjoyed that game back in the day. It wasn't long enough to bore me and there were a lot of nice setpieces.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
This concept is shit compared to the awesome human bounty hunter in an alien station of the original prey 2, which had one of the coolest pre release trailers I remember.

This is just another dead space generic shit, from an accomplished developer, but still generic as fuck.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
This concept is shit compared to the awesome human bounty hunter in an alien station of the original prey 2, which had one of the coolest pre release trailers I remember.

This is just another dead space generic shit, from an accomplished developer, but still generic as fuck.

Yes setting was pretty better in Human's head prey. But gameplay from the demos looked like garbage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom