Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Armored Warfare: World of Tanks formerly from Obsidian

Duraframe300

Arcane
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/0...n-entertainment-creating-detailed-tanks-game/
These design nuances sound like they’re in line with your desire to recreate these tanks as realistically as possible. How do these latent stats fit into that mold?

Yeah, so, like I mentioned before about taking damage, the damage you receive is filtered through not only those ten stats you see, but about 40 or 42 stats total. It takes into consideration the architecture of the tank. If you can damage their treads, for example, you can prevent them from moving. If you can get behind someone, you can shoot a round right into the vent in the front and totally mess up the gears and such inside.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Yeah, so it'll be just like WoT. Bah.

I'm not sure WOT does that IIRC.

Wot has a combination of critical damage and HP. The crits mostly for crippling, rather than doing more HP damage, although if you get an engine fire or your magazine gets hit it's rather bad. The criticals are based on hit location.

Yeah, but the explained thing is the opposite (Hit doing next to no structural/HP damage if it hits something unessecary)/different. The whole damage scenario sounds a lot more complex than how WOT does it especially with that last quote.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yeah, but the explained thing is the opposite (Hit doing next to no structural/HP damage if it hits something unessecary)/different. The whole damage scenario sounds a lot more complex than how WOT does it especially with that last quote.

WoT has the same thing, it isn't any different. They elect not to go that way most of the time (weak spots in commander's cupolas etc.) but several tanks also have external modules that don't have a "hitbox".

HCWcuYzJZdrS.jpg

Due to the server-side calculations, WoT does only extremely simple ballistic calculations and armour model (thickness, layers etc. are not truly taken into account).

Ferdi-1_zps94055c73.png

But then again, when the damage model is arcade, like it will apparently be with Obsidian as well, it hardly matters. In real life a single shrapnel from a non-penetrating hit could be enough to immobilize a tank permanently. Whereas in the games field repairs of a damaged gearbox last seconds...

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
If they made it hard-core, where tracking a tank was pretty much the way to immobilise them permanently (not WOT's "Oh, I'm tracked? Just give me 2 seconds to fix this..") and had a more realistic damage system, that to damage a tank you actually had to damage a critical component, I'd be interested.

Otherwise, it's just WoT.

Angthoron

Arcane
Why didn't they go for World of Gunboats? Isn't that niche still free? Landscape would just be some water shaders - much cheaper to develop. Come on! Better slamdunking!

Destroid

Arcane
Boats also has the advantage that there are currently 0 boat WoT games on the market, while there are already 2 about tanks.

bert

Arcane
Wait hold on, what about World of Submarines? No one's made a submarine MMO yet. (Navy Field doesn't count)

Destroid

Arcane
Navy Field is fun, but I never could be bothered to grind my way to submarines. Or anything beyond light cruisers.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
World of helicopters. You can send me the check in the mail.

Duraframe300

Arcane
So, I told a guy on the official forums that Obsidian is the dev. This is the response

this is simply not right what you pretend my.com is the dev, a company of mail ru. sorry, i know that switzerland has problems with free speach, but germans don t have. so.. release your game and don t start to lie like WG.. that would be bad marketing, ok ? gruezi

:hmmm:

Are all MMO trolls this bad? Or is this some hidden genius way of trolling?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
People are fucking insane. Someone should do something about them.

WoT demographic is the best demographic.

“FORBID WORLD OF TANKS!

I worked there for almost a year. The developers are specifically chosen to be gays. This project is sponsored by the West. When they told me I had to go on a date with the department head (male), I had to quit.

It’s about 80% gays. Our department had less, but the rest have tons. Why do they pick out gays? It is simple. Their hate of normal family life gives them additional stimulation to work. They also use “25th frame” subliminal messaging and subconscious zombifying. The main goal of this game is to drag the male population of this country into the web of addition, and destroy the family as a part of society. Also it gives massive profits from addicted gamers.

I know of suicides because of this game, mostly teenagers. The company knows this and spends massive amounts of money to hide it. I would advise unhappy wives to write to the Belorussian KGB with the goal of forbidding the game on the territory of the CIS.”

Duraframe300

Arcane
  • The standard mode of the game will not skew toward the simulator side of things. There will be the 3rd person view/1st person view toggle, controls will be straight forward with no manual gear shifting, etc. Overall, it is intended to be approachable by veterans and newcomers to the genre both. Expanding on modes is something that will be explored once we get the standard mode in a good place.
  • We are going to have SPGs. Their exact mechanics are something we are experimenting with currently. We have discussed the CW:ET approach to indirect fire aiming, among other approaches seen in other games, but nothing is finalized right now.
  • There will be shell drop.
  • There will be secondary weapons, though limited only to weapons that have any chance against armor. I.e., machine guns won't be usable, but ATGMs, Autocannons, etc., will usually be enabled. We'll give more details about this stuff in the future when we reveal more about core mechanics.
  • There will be crews and they will have stats and skills. We'll do a full reveal of the crew system once it's a bit further along in implementation.
  • Co-Op mode will be somewhat in the arcade style with respawns at major check points and a few other mechanics for the sake of gameplay. But one thing to be certain on is that once we get the standard modes in a good place, we are eager to experiment with all kinds of other ideas to see how they feel.
  • There will be a built in Clan system.
  • The stats API might not be up right at launch, but it is definitely planned for.
  • We'll reveal more about end game/late game features in the future.
  • Tentatively, mods will not be allowed at launch. I touched on this issue in greater detail in the suggestions forum.
  • There will definitely be a press release pack.

Duraframe300

Arcane
RedFox said:
Inane_Dork said:
Of course I have loads of questions, but I'll try to stick with ones you can publicly answer.
  1. You showed the game at GDC this year. Did you get any interesting or useful feedback from the media?
  2. When do you expect you'll have another larger reveal?
  3. Without saying why, which game system (e.g., vision/spotting) are you most excited about right now?
  4. What are the top 3 selling points of the game?
  5. Can you talk about Obsidian's approach to balance and historicity? It's nice when they coincide, but what about when they don't?
  6. Is a goal with AW to make it approachable for non-enthusiasts of tanks?
  7. If your competition is any indication, you will have tankers of all skill levels. Is the plan to have different things all of them will find interesting and fun?
If you can find the time to answer, that'd be awesome. Either way, thanks for your time.
  • The press we interacted with at GDC were fun to talk to. While I had expected the Co-Op side of AW to garner attention, I'll admit I was surprised at how genuinely excited the press were about that aspect.
  • There's a few videos being worked on right now but I don't have ETAs for their completion dates on me.
  • I'm most excited about the armor mechanics, especially in terms of add-on armor and what it means for gameplay choices.
  • Top 3 selling points? Hm... well, I've never been very good at marketing, but for me, I would say: it's going to be fun to play, it's going to look good, and it's going to showcase some really awesome modern armored vehicles.
  • For me, the key to balance verses historical accuracy is that when it comes to hard stats, like projectile velocity and caliber, armor thickness, size of the vehicle, power to weight ratios, etc., we need to be as accurate as we possibly can. Balancing can be focused on areas that don't really come out of a technical manual, like how much damage a shell does to a target and other aspects that have to be quantified in terms of game mechanics.
  • We want the game to be approachable without dumbing things down. We feel one way to handle this is to be informative to players about what the stats of their vehicles are and what the game mechanics are. We aim to communicate this information through a clear user interface and good feedback for players. The mechanics themselves can be complex as long as they're presented and explained in a way that is approachable. AW should be approachable for players who enjoy team-based strategic PVP as well as players who just like blowing things up with cannons (that's what Co-Op is for :)). Being a tank enthusiast should just make it even better.
  • We want the game to be fun for players of all skill ranges. We feel part of meeting this goal will be to provide Co-Op content aimed at players who enjoy the chance to collect and control armored vehicles but who might not find the intensity of PVP to be to their liking.

RedFox said:
KingRooster said:
Thanks for all the info! :)

Will there be something like "Premium Ammo"? (please tell me there won't, it is one of the worst things about that "other tank game")

Edit: ...oh, and if possible please tell us a little more about the game modes and different roles for various classes of vehicles :)
There will not be Premium Ammo. There will be a range of ammo available for each vehicle based on the time period of the vehicle and the ammunition its cannons actually fired. Different shells will cost different amounts of credits while offering different advantages and disadvantages.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Obsidian is at a Press Event in russia.
qjuyQHq.jpg

So, yeah. New info may come soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom