Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Armored Warfare: World of Tanks formerly from Obsidian

Name

Cipher
Trying too hard

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Artillery? Obsidian my want to rethink that. Artillery is the most complained about aspect of world of tanks to the point that no amount of nerfs, and reload times is enough to silence the butthurt it brings to the game.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Some preview stuff

There’s going to be a backstory about modern struggles for limited resources and terrorism. And players will be able to queue up to take on this progressive storyline in 3+ tank missions complete with voice acted objectives and secondary objectives. Completion of these missions is just as valid of a progression method as PvP, and can net the player experience points for upgrading their crewmembers as well as unlocking or upgrading tanks in their garage. A nice little addition is the challenge missions that let you truly show your mastery of a PvE mission by letting you do something epic on the battlefield. Thankfully these challenges aren’t randomly assigned and actually based on the type of tank you’re driving, so you won’t have to worry about ramming through the enemy’s front barricade with artillery.

In terms of tank types, they offer a simplified but rather effective three category system. You’ll either be riding in a full-fledged tank, a supportive artillery, or a fast and stealthy recon.

And while the developers were extremely pensive about mentioning anything about the crews, the early stages of the UI made it clear that they will gain experience over time and that there likely will be four members of your crew.
Though the economy system was hardly in place, there was a clear distinction between gold, silver, and reputation on the rewards screen after matches. When asked, the representative shared that gold would be the cash shop currency, silver the in-game currency for purchasing tank upgrades, and reputation a currency for advancing one’s tech tree to acquire new and more powerful tiers of tanks. I have to applaud the stat keeping after the matches as well since you are clearly shown how much each member of your team contributed. Points are appropriated and bonus currency offered based on how active you were in taking objectives, how many kills you scored, as well as assists, damage dealt, number of tanks spotted, and points accrued from base captures.

Even though the demo didn't let me customize my tank, the option to visually change so much-- from camo to personal satellite defense systems-- made me feel like my tank could be mine, as long as I made it play as its class role. That may sound restricting, but as someone new to the genre, I wanted something I could understand, and as a modern MMO player, I understand classes. It certainly made it easier for me to figure out what to do during the battle, as did the objectives list that I got specifically for my role. An artillery satellite view made things feel almost like an RTS, but in a good way. Other players spotted for me, and I blasted from afar.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
This is a pretty accurate write up. A few notes.

The backstory for the PvE scenarios is sort of a near future world where resources are fought over by hired Private Military Corporations.

When we demoed the game, we explained how there are roles for the vehicles. We explained three roles for this demo, Tank, Artillery, and Recon.

Tanks:
Challenger 2
Leopard 2a5

Artillery:
M109a6 Paladin

Recon:
M1128 MGS - 'Stryker'
Wiesel 1

Crew sizes depend on the vehicle. The Wiesel has two, the Paladin has six.

Like he stated, we haven't demoed vehicle upgrading or customization yet.

Mortmal

Arcane

The backstory for the PvE scenarios is sort of a near future world where resources are fought over by hired Private Military Corporations.

When we demoed the game, we explained how there are roles for the vehicles. We explained three roles for this demo, Tank, Artillery, and Recon.

Tanks:
Challenger 2
Leopard 2a5

Artillery:
M109a6 Paladin

Recon:
M1128 MGS - 'Stryker'
Wiesel 1

Hope theres a lot of variety in tank choices, i want to be able to buy old russian tanks like T72 and customize them .Challenger 2 and leopard thats high tier tanks i suppose ? I cant find an accurate list of vehicules they will implement.Barely a few wild guess on forums. Now if an obsidian developper could enlighten us....

Echo Mirage

Arcane
One thing I would like to know is how Obsidian plans to balance the Artillery. Wargaming has been trying to do it since its introduction and has failed to the point that, It doesn't matter how good a player and tanker you are, It doesn't matter if you hold the corner or not. As long as Artillery is on the field victory or defeat boils down to how well some guy sitting at spawn clicking on a minimap plays.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer

Tanks:
Challenger 2
Leopard 2a5

Artillery:
M109a6 Paladin

Recon:
M1128 MGS - 'Stryker'
Wiesel 1

Hope theres a lot of variety in tank choices, i want to be able to buy old russian tanks like T72 and customize them .Challenger 2 and leopard thats high tier tanks i suppose ? I cant find an accurate list of vehicules they will implement.Barely a few wild guess on forums. Now if an obsidian developper could enlighten us....

Obviously I cannot talk about the vehicle list in detail, but believe me, we have HUNDREDS of Janes and other military books, schematics, etc, and we have a very talented vehicle creation team. That's all I can really say.

Mortmal

Arcane

Tanks:
Challenger 2
Leopard 2a5

Artillery:
M109a6 Paladin

Recon:
M1128 MGS - 'Stryker'
Wiesel 1

Obviously I cannot talk about the vehicle list in detail, but believe me, we have HUNDREDS of Janes and other military books, schematics, etc, and we have a very talented vehicle creation team. That's all I can really say.

I understand you cant tell us, to avoid drama if one promisedvehicle is not in the game at launch. However can you tell us a bit more about the business system? Premium tanks, skins and cosmetics to buy ok, i can see that. But i hope there wont be any kind of premium ammunition piercing best armors in frontal , removing all need of skills like in WOT .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom