Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Armored Warfare: World of Tanks formerly from Obsidian

Duraframe300

Arcane
AW Rich Interviews

Norfleet

One thing I would like to know is how Obsidian plans to balance the Artillery. Wargaming has been trying to do it since its introduction and has failed to the point that, It doesn't matter how good a player and tanker you are, It doesn't matter if you hold the corner or not. As long as Artillery is on the field victory or defeat boils down to how well some guy sitting at spawn clicking on a minimap plays.
So, it's just like real life.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
What in the fuck did I just watch.

Artillery? Obsidian my want to rethink that. Artillery is the most complained about aspect of world of tanks to the point that no amount of nerfs, and reload times is enough to silence the butthurt it brings to the game.
Yeah and after they nerfed them, World of Tanks became World of Tank Destroyers because TDs have way better armour than tanks and had no artillery to keep them pegged down, so the tanks themselves became less useful.

Watching Armoured Warfare to see how it turns out.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
What in the fuck did I just watch.

Artillery? Obsidian my want to rethink that. Artillery is the most complained about aspect of world of tanks to the point that no amount of nerfs, and reload times is enough to silence the butthurt it brings to the game.
Yeah and after they nerfed them, World of Tanks became World of Tank Destroyers because TDs have way better armour than tanks and had no artillery to keep them pegged down, so the tanks themselves became less useful.

Watching Armoured Warfare to see how it turns out.

I know they nerfed the original artillery tiers, only to later add a british artillery line which performs the same as the unnerfed originals. While Tank Destroyers got a camo nerf in soft cover while moving and firing. Last time I played the game about a month ago it was not uncommon for the higher tier Arty to lead a game by 5 or so kills on the larger maps.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer

Who are those guys? Are you one of them?

No, not at all.

JT is the only Obsidianite in that video - the one wearing the Obsidian shirt. He is the loveable, good hearted, nerdy junior designer we have here at the company. The fact that he got up and participated in a dance contest is hysterical. it gets even funnier for me when you consider the following:

1. The dance contest is at the Wargaming booth and he is wearing an Obsidian t-shirt.
2. The whitest whitey pants white lady is doing THE worst beat boxing I have ever had the misfortune of hearing.
3. They are all horribly white, yet they give it their all. One guy doing the worm so hard he loses his shoe - and he LOSES. Eric Fenstermaker was equally shocked by this as he confided in me that he thought the worm was an unbeatable dance move.

It's just glorious.

anus_pounder

Arcane

Who are those guys? Are you one of them?

No, not at all.

JT is the only Obsidianite in that video - the one wearing the Obsidian shirt. He is the loveable, good hearted, nerdy junior designer we have here at the company. The fact that he got up and participated in a dance contest is hysterical. it gets even funnier for me when you consider the following:

1. The dance contest is at the Wargaming booth and he is wearing an Obsidian t-shirt.
2. The whitest whitey pants white lady is doing THE worst beat boxing I have ever had the misfortune of hearing.
3. They are all horribly white, yet they give it their all. One guy doing the worm so hard he loses his shoe - and he LOSES. Eric Fenstermaker was equally shocked by this as he confided in me that he thought the worm was an unbeatable dance move.

It's just glorious.

Not just a dance move, 'The Worm' is a legitimate finishing blow in certain circles.

:kfc:

Duraframe300

Arcane
We’re excited to let you all know that My.com and Obsidian Entertainment will be attending Gamescom in Cologne, Germany from August 13th to 17th! While we’re there, we’ll be giving everyone a lot more information about Armored Warfare’s progression system and the beta.

We’re sure you don’t want to wait until Gamescom for some of that information though, so today we’re going to share a little bit about how you’ll acquire new armored vehicles and how you’ll progress in Armored Warfare.

In Armored Warfare, you won’t represent a nation. Instead, you’ll take on the role of an independent private military contractor. You’ll be able to acquire technology from a variety of sources, who won’t be beholden to a particular nation, ideology, or even side of a conflict.

Acting as Commander of your own private military companies, you must conduct business with influential Arms Dealers in order to succeed and prosper. These Dealers are the brokers between defense contractors who manufacture armored vehicles and you, the player, who wants access to the latest and greatest technology on the market.

More information on dealers will be presented at Gamescom, but here are brief introductions to two of the dealers you’ll meet in Armored Warfare:

xKuI6Zg.jpg

MARAT SHISHKIN

Known Aliases: The Iron Badger, Grandpa Numbers
Current Location: Nizhny Tagil, Sverdlovsk Oblast, Russia
Specialty: Shishkin believes strongly in the adage “Might Makes Right”, and prefers vehicles that deal a lot of damage. His particular favorites are the T-series, which he has much experience with.

ob0ouL8.jpg

SOPHIE WÖLFLI

Known Aliases: @mumstheword, Chocolatgesetz
Current Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Specialty: As part of the UN Joint Task Forces, Sophie’s job is to coordinated peacekeeping operations around the globe. She tends to prioritize the safety of troops and civilians over all-out destruction. Her industry contacts are mostly European manufacturers who allow import/export through Swiss channels.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Maps 1200x12000m

(WoT is 1000x1000m)

Not particularly impressed so far. Anyway, I'd take 1:1 WoT copy with better matchmaking mechanics (or better playerbase...) any day...

agris

Arcane
Patron
Did you mistype that or is the max
Maps 1200x12000m

(WoT is 1000x1000m)

Not particularly impressed so far. Anyway, I'd take 1:1 WoT copy with better matchmaking mechanics (or better playerbase...) any day...

map size really that asymmetrical?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Wow, this is a rather hot issue. But I'm the guy who made the armor mesh maps, so I will let you know something happy.

Any spot on a vehicle that, if shot, should not result in affecting the integrity of the vehicle or it's ability to operate/affect the crew and other internal components (What you'd call HP damage/What makes it explode), doesn't. In some cases they are components with other functions, others aesthetics. Jutting out machinegun blocks, or protruding random electronics from the top, or a particularly large ventilation system for the engine on the top or side. They won't hurt the tank, regardless of the iteration. Sometimes if you shoot directly into them the armor might be weaker behind, however, like a gunner's sight on an MBT.

It is possible to shoot things on the tank that don't cause it any harm, and nothing else. The goal is to provide good feedback on this, and not make it seem like there will be 'ghost shells' that pass through and do nothing. And there will never be an instance where you hit something useless that has a hit mesh and it claims you penetrated. If that's all you hit, it will tell you that it was ineffective so you can adjust where you shoot or what position you fire from.

Don't weasel me for more information than what I said, like 'is it HP or not?!'. Anything I left out was intentional.

External modules might hide weak points beneath them, but just shoot them and nothing else and it won't damage the vehicle (But it will damage the module). They will act like spaced armor and shots will go through, so if you fire a super high pen shell at a tank and hit an external module unluckily, it won't just devour the shell. It'll pass through and hit the turret also, potentially. (As in the arc of your shot would have otherwise hit.)

Will have hitpoint bars like WoT. Confirmed shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom