Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Armored Warfare: World of Tanks formerly from Obsidian

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
the M1A1 would never have the front slope and front hull penetrated... EVER. You practically need an anti-ship weapon to penetrate those parts of the tank.

:kwafuckyeah: :ehue:

Nothing to do with the game, I'm not an expert on the numbers of RHA vs penetrators but I genuinely doubt this.

The facts speak for themselves.

By that same token, if I was still an armor crewman, I would but just as worried about trying to pen the front of a leo 2a5 or a challenger 2.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
My bad, for some reason I misremembered that the tanks in '91 were all M1 versions from the initial production line and not M1A1's. The armour difference is significant.

Norfleet

Well, it would certainly make things interesting, anyway, if it were, in fact, as flat-out invulnerable from that direction as it is in real life. Why bother catering to a popamole desire to pelt it to death from the front when you can make players actually behave realistically when dealing with it?

Besides, think of the good it will do: If people learned this properly in a game, this information could save their lives.

omega21

Arcane
Sorry to bring this up again, but Medina Ridge was hardly one of the largest tank battles in history - just look at some of the shit that went down during Kursk.

Point taken that it's just as vulnerable as any on the sides. I'm an armour crewman (albeit reservist and not with Kwa) as well and I'm highly skeptical about claims of ubertankery.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Well, it actually is - "one of the largest tank battles in history" - kinda. Medina Ridge had over 100 tanks on both sides making it the largest tank battle in Desert Storm - 73 Easting had less than 50 tanks on the American side even if the Iraqis had around 200. The battle of the Chinese Farm in the Yom Kippur War had about 200-300 tanks on both sides - though there were least two other engagements between large Egyptian and Israeli forces where both sides had between 100 and 200 tanks. Prokhorovka, the largest tank battle ever, had about 300 tanks and tank destroyers on German side and roughly 850 on Soviet side. Arracourt had about 250 German tanks but less than a 100 American tanks involved which makes Medina Ridge the biggest armoured engagement in American military history. Second El Alamein had several engagements between German and British tanks but they were all fairly small in numbers - under 100 tanks on each side, as most of the engagements were between tanks and infantry/AT.

So Medina Ridge definitely isn't THE largest tank battle but it does qualify in to the top ten, making it ONE of the largest tank battles, with the extra qualification that it's the largest American tank battle, with Arracourt coming second.

Norfleet

Sorry to bring this up again, but Medina Ridge was hardly one of the largest tank battles in history - just look at some of the shit that went down during Kursk.
"One Of The" is a pretty generous qualifier, though. It never claims to be THE, just "one of the", which is pretty much a meaningless weasel word.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I kinda pity the Iraq army on Medina Ridge, they had a good idea but the wrong tank and lacked air support. T-72M, worse T-72M export versions using AP shells that weren't used by the Soviet Union since 1970, T-72M exporting versions by 1991 are just moving junk, the americans could do as much as to fire at training targets ... with the general competence of the Iraq army shown by the Iran Iraq war, it was no wonder why no american crews died. I don't get impressed with M1A1 anihilating T-72M, fuck even if the americans used T-80U just to not be so unfair the result would be the same. Or the tanks crews that fought there were crazy suicide or they feared Saddam more than the americans, if someone said to me to man a coffin on tracks like the T-72M they used, I would say fuck you and deserted as soon as I managed to run, hey... that was exactly what many did.:lol:

omega21

Arcane
Points taken re: "one of the". Didn't look at the math.

Iraqis did a few things right at Medina Ridge really. Still, their equipment failed them in the end and they couldn't shoot properly at tanks on the high ground. I wonder what those "jamming pods" the Chinese sold them really contained...

It's a bit unfortunate that I haven't been able to find much stuff about it on the web. The US Army makes a big deal of 73 Easting, which was a clear-cut case of McMaster catching the Iraqis with their pants down and treating them to some good ole Custer's Revenge with his cavalry initiative, but this is a lot more interesting.

Norfleet

Iraqis did a few things right at Medina Ridge really. Still, their equipment failed them in the end and they couldn't shoot properly at tanks on the high ground. I wonder what those "jamming pods" the Chinese sold them really contained...
Probably a piece of paper with some kind of phrase, like "You will die a meaningless death.", in them.

Destroid

Arcane
Well, it would certainly make things interesting, anyway, if it were, in fact, as flat-out invulnerable from that direction as it is in real life. Why bother catering to a popamole desire to pelt it to death from the front when you can make players actually behave realistically when dealing with it?

Besides, think of the good it will do: If people learned this properly in a game, this information could save their lives.

There are tanks like this in WoT, it can certainly work from a gameplay perspective.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

There are tanks like this in WoT, it can certainly work from a gameplay perspective.

In WoT they are balanced by having silly weak spots (Tortoise loader in cupola? LOADER IN CUPOLA?). Hopefully that won't be the case here.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
A ton of the videos have had snippets of gameplay.

I don't think an entire match has been released yet though. I hope they do.

omega21

Arcane

This is what I was asking for. Everything else is just appetizer that I am too mistrustful of.

Don't forget the rampant similarities to WoT. The sniper arty always gets me, I'd prefer them to fire barrage and do crit damage rather than 1-shot-1-kill, make DPICM and Copperhead rounds cash items or something. Still, modern tanks.

This is what I was asking for. Everything else is just appetizer that I am too mistrustful of.

Don't forget the rampant similarities to WoT. The sniper arty always gets me, I'd prefer them to fire barrage and do crit damage rather than 1-shot-1-kill, make DPICM and Copperhead rounds cash items or something. Still, modern tanks.

Shit, didn't see that.

Well, hopes diminishing rapidly.

I'm sure Anthony is on the job to get some invites for us. I mean it's obvious bro like that won't just leave bros out in the cold, right?

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I would make sure that you sign up at My.Com right away if you haven't already.

Right now, I think most of the Alpha testing going on is still internal.

I'm not sure how to get access to the internal beta Mr. Jingles is talking about - other than going through My.Com.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom