Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Armored Warfare: World of Tanks formerly from Obsidian

Name

Cipher
Judging from the activity of that official forums I gotta say that these tank games have a far wider audience than those half-measured 3A RPGs Obsidian traditionally work on. Which feels weird.

This could prove interesting in that it's Obsidian's first game where the actual gameplay is absolutely the 100% determiner of the final game quality, with no excuses for anything else.

Name

Cipher
This could prove interesting in that it's Obsidian's first game where the actual gameplay is absolutely the 100% determiner of the final game quality, with no excuses for anything else.

I thought the co-op PvE campaigns are going to have a plot centered around the nature of armored warfare.

Duraframe300

Arcane
They're quite rapidly approaching 30'000.

ArmoredWeasel is excited and knows his tanks.

Just reading people's passion and ideas is productive on my end. Having worked so long and hard on a title so secret, and one that is a step away from Obsidian's expected background, seeing people so excited and curious makes it more fulfilling than you know.
biggrin.png

The crew system is getting plenty of love. I think people will be pleasantly surprised with the iteration we chose. Which is a fancy way of saying, 'more information will be forthcoming!'

Base Stingray didn't see the most commercial success in the world, but at least it did better than the original OF-40... On the plus side both had components utilized in other vehicles. Palmaria's chassis is from the OF-40, and the Stingray's turret was used on other AFVs, for example. I love light tanks, myself.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I wonder how they will handle ATGMs in this, and what level of simulation they will adopt.
World of Tanks is as arcade as it gets, and so will this be. Actual realistic tank combat on the modern battlefield is no fun at all, so there won't be ATGMs or AT-mines or drones or attack choppers or ground support planes. I'm guessing that there won't be much of a performance difference between NATO and Soviet tanks, either. AFAIK, WoT "balanced" Allied/Axis/Soviet tanks. Shit shit shit.

Shit.

Shitty shit shit.

Fucking shit.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Holy God! It's the Obsidian project I always hoped for but never dreamed could be a reality! I can't wait for... wait, what? Is the Farmville clone market too saturated and competitive or something?

I hope this is just a revenue generating project to fund something interesting and worthwhile... and that it actually generates revenue for that purpose.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
damn, what's wrong with that dude's face? it's like two totally different personalities are fighting within to get control of its muscles.

Duraframe300

Arcane
"It's one of those things were if we weren't really hardcore about the gerne we wouldn't be making this game"

:troll:

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
PVE mode DOES have storytelling. PVE in general sounds interesting if they can pull it off.

Edit: Aidan also seems to work on both games.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
“We want the PvE mode to be a completely valid way of playing the game,” Obsidian designer Aidan Karabaich said. “It’s not like, oh, well, you play this first, and then you graduate to PvP. If you want to only play PvE, our goal is to have that be a very satisfying experience with full progression available in it.”

Good to hear. I'm not a PVP player, so that gets me interested in actually playing the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom