Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

As always, RPGWatch with the Turn-Based RPG reviews which Codex ignores: "Stranger of Sword City"

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Perhaps it's time to register on the Watch. The staff on this site have drunk the kool aid a bit too often now and are too busy shilling for InExile and Obsidian to report on actual good games.

Courtier

Prophet
Who cares about reviews tho, none of them are worth reading. For discussion I'd rather be here. I never would have come here if there were any imageboard or non-cucked forum that had as many dedicated blobber threads

GrainWetski

Arcane
Perhaps it's time to register on the Watch. The staff on this site have drunk the kool aid a bit too often now and are too busy shilling for InExile and Obsidian to report on actual good games.
This generic shilling is so much better.

https://www.rpgwatch.com/articles/fallout-4-review-356.html
Fallout 3 had a different, more mature tone and an emphasis on roleplaying, allowing players to solve quests in different ways, which also forced them to take the consequences of their actions.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
This generic shilling is so much better.

https://www.rpgwatch.com/articles/fallout-4-review-356.html
Fallout 3 had a different, more mature tone and an emphasis on roleplaying, allowing players to solve quests in different ways, which also forced them to take the consequences of their actions.

I don't see the problem here. Fallout sucks ass but it's still an RPG series that needs to be covered. What you're showing me is that the Watch has no bias as long as the game is an RPG, unlike this place.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Oh, I agree, the actual content in RPGWatch is shitty and so are the comments. That SoSC review is the equivalent of reading fluff and it says absolutely nothing about the game itself, or the sub-genre it belongs to.

It is a bad review and it was written by someone who lacks proper knowledge of a good breadth of RPG sub-genres.

I just like triggering the Codex forum readers who mistakenly think the Codex is the "hard-core" of the RPG review sites; the fact that the 'Watch has both an Elminage: Gothic review and an SoSC review by default makes it more hard-core than the 'Codex.

:D

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The problem is review is writer driven and the only one sperging about jaapnese blobber do not write one. If you do write one I am pretty sure the mod will post it so long you do not clerity rant level of wall text.

EDIT: and whether J-blobber is the true RPG is better out not discussed. all been said and done, no conclusion. The only thing we could take from watch review is that they have j-blobber enthusiast that write reviews while we don't

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
InD_ImaginE

There is no need to qualify SoSC with a "j" unless you're specifically referring to the game being developed by a japanse studio; for purposes of informing the reader about what country the RPG is from.

If, however, your use of a "j" prefix before the word blobber is short-hand meant to state that western-developed blobbers use different mechanics than japanese-developed blobbers, and thus automatically force the reader to infer a bias, then it shows you have no true understanding of blobbers in general and how they work; if this is so then please never, ever make another post again in your life. About anything.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
I specifically used it to address that it is made by Japanese developer, which in turn, is pretty unique. I never intended to infer bias or anything but Experience, even based on your posts in previous thread, is pretty influenced by older Wizardies game (something before 6, if I am not mistaken?). And there is a clear divide, at least based on forum presence, on say, M&M thread and SotSC thread that I felt the need to differentiate, especially considering that Codex did review M&M X. Should I use the term old-Wiz clones instead? Would you be okay with that?

EDIT: if you think I do have an agenda to infer bias against this game or games like this: no. I am not into blobber in general, whether it is Wiz or M&M, old or new, I was never able to play them longer that 10ish hours.

Last edited:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
As I said, design philosophy wise, these games are pretty heavily influenced by old-Wiz, more so than others. Heck I think Aweigh had explained heavily that once upon a time Wiz was the base for all blobber, and why, after the changes made in newer games, they are off being worse because philosophy wise, old Wiz games are still better. That and other shits on my post directly above, as I said, made me feel the need to differentiate. In a hindsight, as I said, perhaps I should use the term "old Wiz-clones." Or perhaps just blobbers? But then if MM XI came out and is actually a TB blobber, I am pretty dang sure there will be one that will review it while, unless aweigh and some other here write them, I doubt these games (Experience games, wiz-clones in general, especially one made in Japan) will ever be reviewed on the Codex.

And no, I actually liked Final Fantasy, at least until XII, so if you think I purposely want them (blobbers which I don't like, and FF which I do) mixed, you are wrong.

Courtier

Prophet
I understand the confusion since 90% of this website is full of groupthink cucks going ''ha ha guise I also hate all chink shit lole look at how hard I am (pls accept me)''

Many games in the JRPG forum aren't even Japanese or asian, here JRPG means ''something I don't like''

top کوروا

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
I doubt these games (Experience games, wiz-clones in general, especially one made in Japan) will ever be reviewed on the Codex.

Paper Sorcerer is a streamlined 'wiz-clone' and it was reviewed on Codex. :M

after the changes made in newer games, they are off being worse because philosophy wise, old Wiz games are still better

Are you comparing Wiz 1-5 to 6-8? In that case, the earlier Wizardry titles weren't "better", they are just different.

The best term is "Classic Dungeon Crawler" for describing such games.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Paper Sorcerer is a streamlined 'wiz-clone' and it was reviewed on Codex. :M

I don't even know that it qualifies as one. So okay, my fault.

Are you comparing Wiz 1-5 to 6-8? In that case, the earlier Wizardry titles weren't "better", they are just different.
As I said, I remember Aweigh posted a lot of things comparing things between them with end result of older Wiz being better. My personal opinion? I have none. I don't like blobber enough to actually have one.

The best term is "Classic Dungeon Crawler" for describing such games.
Noted.

Bottom line is, if you want codex to have review about Classic Dungeon Crawler, then please do write one. The usual guys who write reviews in the site are playing different kind of RPGs (which kind is better, once again, has been discussed in various thread), and thus expecting them to write one is useless. A good review is always wanted. Fallout 4 is a game I don't even play and reading the review by Bubbles was a blast. I am pretty sure some people here who have played these games tens times over are more than qualified to write a good one.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
InD_ImaginE Serious question : why don't you like blobbers?
To me RPGs have always been blobbers and derivatives, so I have some difficulties understanding why someone would like some RPGs but not blobbers.

tet666

Augur
Why is being made in Japan "unique"? Do you call Lord of Xulima a 'SRPG' just because it was made by some Spanish developers?

The 'j' in 'JRPG' often makes people think that it's something full animu like Final Fantasy.
Elminage Gothic actually looks too western to be considered a JRPG.

JRPG may have meant a RPG made in Japan at some point but it's a full fledged genre for a long time now.
This of course means non Japanese developers can make JRPGs and Japanese developers can make WRPGs.
i always recommend Extra Credits series on this for people who are still confused:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_rvM6hubs8

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
We only discuss true hardcore RPGs like Fallout 4 and Dragon's Age, sorry. I think you should leave and go to RPG Watch to discuss your Japanese kid's games while we play TRUE RPGs.

Last edited:

Mustawd

Why was this thread made twice?

Also, write a review aweigh. I'll edit it. It might take me a month or two tho...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom