Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

As always, RPGWatch with the Turn-Based RPG reviews which Codex ignores: "Stranger of Sword City"

Emmanuel2

Savant
Emmanuel2 duanth123 Nostaljaded ,

Thanks for the feedback. I actually pulled the trigger and picked up the VITA (roughly 90 seconds after Emmanuel posted) and ended up grabbing SoSC Revisited before diving into DT2.

Gotta say, although I never played the original.. SoSC Revisited is amazing -- very happy with the purchase. Battle speed is lightning quick when you need/want it to be, the graphics are probably the best I've seen in a crawler, character mechanics are complex enough to be interesting, and I'm very pleased with the dungeon design. What looks at first glance to be the standard 20x20 grid is anything but, and rather than rely on the more vanilla traps, spinners, dark areas, etc., the mazes are liberally peppered with.. er, unique flair, for lack of better phrasing. Been a long day. ;x Brain is fried.

Now if only I had more time to play... bah!

I wholeheartedly recommend getting DT2 instead of SoSC (the first one but users here found the remake slightly worse so I'm basing it on that) but it sounds like you're having fun with the remake.

The original SoSC is what I'd consider, along with many others, an entry-level crawler (with surprises IMHO). I won't spoil you the fun to be had but if you want to find out why it's just a "good" entry rather than a great one, the previous pages should be able to answer that.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Emmanuel2 Tarrant

you know, it occurs to me that if he's really enjoying SoSC (and thus Team Muramasa / Exp Inc's "style" of crawler) he should really download the fan-translated Generation XTH: Code Hazard game.

ther eis a codex thread for it, with the necessary links. It was TM's first Wiz-clone game developed after breaking off from their previous studio, "Michaelsoft", where the founding members of Team Muramasa got their start helping develop/code for PS2 the Wizardry XTH titles "Academy Frontier" and "Unlimited Students".

(BTW, the psp games class of hereos 1 and 2 are basic "re-skins" of those two Wiz XTH titles with all of the sci-fi stuff changed out for more JRPG-ish medieval fantasy, as the other half of "Michaelsoft" went on to make those titles, while the other half that then became Team Muramasa went on to make GXTH: Code Hazard for Windows PC / etc).

The fan translation is one of the best I've ever seen, and besides all that it is probably TM's absolutely best Wiz-clone title.

- haaard core multi-layered long-ass dungeons.
- traditional Wizardry-style classes + Wizardry-style traditional class changing
- traditional Wiz-style encounters + fixed encounters
- traditional Wiz-style loot system
- their attempt at spicing up the Wiz-blueprint by adding a convluted crafting system that can be either really fun or somewhat tedious, depending on the player's alignment on the autism specturm

WaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaYYyyyy better than SoSC if you're looking for a meaty crawler to sink your teeth into.

As with SoSC, I remmend avoiding the VITA remake of Code Hazard as they dumbed it down, but they didn't change the dungeon layouts (THAT I KNOW OF) so the game will still be challenging.

however, the VITA remakes of their Generation XTH games are coming soon to steam, and entry titles #2 and #3 (code breaker and code realize) were never / will never be fan translated (the windows PC versions I mean, the good versions); so I am planning on playing the VITA remakes of entries #2/#3 when they hit Steam if only because they dungeon layouts are the same.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
There are games with strong mechanics for autists and games with good world building for theatre group rejects history major dropouts. Why can't they get along?

Oh right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom