Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myst ASA - A Space Adventure - Remaster RELEASED on Steam

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
EDIT: Steam link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/329980/

http://www.aspaceadventure.fr/

I didn't even know about this game until I saw a review from Adventure Gamers:

The Good:
Challenging puzzles are enjoyable and never seem contrived; gorgeous and expansive photorealistic environments; intriguing storyline that nicely ties all elements together.

The Bad:
Navigation can be confusing; hotspots are sometimes a little too difficult to find; very little ambient animation; dull voice acting.

Our Verdict: 4/5
With a captivating backstory and engaging, challenging puzzles, ASA: A Space Adventure is a welcome addition to the pantheon of Myst-style puzzle-adventure games.

I LOVE Mystlike with good but challenging logical puzzles. And I fucking love sci-fi. May give this a try once it is on Desura (you can currently get it through PayPal), Also give a vote for it on STEAM Greenlight.

Last edited by a moderator:

iqzulk

Augur
Hmmm, might give it a whirl, but the visuals are just freaking weird (and not in a good way), man. And nothing in the trailers is all that hot for me either. Naaah, I'd probably wait for Prominence.

Modron

Arcane
Never was into myst-likes probably the closest thing I played to them was Castle of Dr. Brain when I was a small child. Will have to try the demo and make my mind up about it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
This is now available to buy on Desura. I just bought it (it's $11). Will give some impressions later.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Some thought's on this so far:

I bough a copy on Desura and had a LOT of problems getting this thing to even run (it would crash when I clicked PLAY from the Main Menu). I then contacted the author via Desura and he was very quick to get back to me and help me get the game running. So good to him. :salute:

It is basically a full on Myst like (in SPAAAAAAAACE!). Puzzle so far are logical and organic in nature to the environment they are in. I'm now at a point where I can decipher the alien language (it basically is like replace all the English language characters with a symbol). So I finally have my piece of paper with my Rosetta Stone as it were (I love shit like that though). You do find log entries and they explain the story and setting (which is.. interesting so far). I kind of wished they would have held back on the info to deepen the mystery of Where the fuck am I? What the fuck is this place. Etc... (I love being put inside such environments and slowly piecing the information together). The VO's for the entries are meh, but they do their job. heh

There is a pre Beta here if this piques your interest: http://www.moddb.com/games/asa-a-space-adventure/downloads/asa-pre-beta-demo

I don't yet know how long the game it (it is only $12.00) so I am not expecting it to be too long. But I'm not using any walkthroughs and so far has been worth my time and money.

Anyways back to finding out the ^%#$*@ login/password for that one computer....

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The remastered version of ASA is supposedly coming to Steam pretty soon, according to the dev blog. There's also going to be a collector's DVD version, which looks tempting to me even though I usually avoid physical items like a plague.

Also, some beautiful screenshots there: http://blog.theblackcube.fr/2015/02/asa-remasteredoriginal-comparison-4.html

Also also, these notes are mighty cool: http://blog.theblackcube.fr/2015/02/asa-notes-most-beautiful-present.html

ASA notes - The most beautiful present

The most beautiful present, when you make an adventure game, is to know that some people enjoyed it and really felt as if they were having a true journey through the different environments. When I saw the notes of Marina (see below), and everything she wrote on her papers in order to solve the puzzles of ASA (and her illustrations!), I felt a lot of emotions. Amazing!!! Now I am sure that ASA was not made in vain and I really hope that Catyph will bring as much excitement, and maybe more. Thank you again Marina, that was the most beautiful present!

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hope he does well on this release. :salute:

Unfortunately it wasn't even featured on the Steam front page, in contrast to Tormentum, the much inferior game. Plus it only has the total of 3 reviews at the time being, one of those being mine. :( I'm sorta kinda afraid it isn't doing particularly well, which is a real shame -- I guess being a "Myst-like" turns people off, coupled with the lack of marketing.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I guess being a "Myst-like" turns people off, coupled with the lack of marketing.
Seems strange considering Myst was one of the best selling games ever.

I would say it's kind of a hard game to sell, and modern adventure game fans seem to just want hipster art and stories.

Crooked Bee

Patron
I guess being a "Myst-like" turns people off, coupled with the lack of marketing.
Seems strange considering Myst was one of the best selling games ever.

I would say it's kind of a hard game to sell, and modern adventure game fans seem to just want hipster art and stories.

Yeah, I meant "in this day and age." Obduction KS only managed to be successful because it was done by the Cyan folks themselves.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
One of my favorite parts of this game was deciphering the alien language, and then running around and translating it. I love that shit. <3

Sad this is not doing better. :( It really is a fun Mystlike.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This has release has provided the impetus for me to play it.

Then I got this:
A0C3268AF219937E4B2EA2A0473BEFACD3E711AD

Has cloud's sword avoid like plague.

Last edited:

tuluse

Arcane
Is that a teaser for the JRPG he was/is working on?
I'm pretty sure it's just a clear reference to this:

EfZaK5Y.jpg

If you can't tell it's a desktop for one of the stations in the PC room. I'm still working on accessing them.

Crooked Bee

Patron
GOG rejected ASA again :( Also savegame bug alert.

http://blog.theblackcube.fr/2015/03/no-gog-release-savegame-bug-future.html

No GOG release
Several of you asked me if there would be a GOG release of ASA: Remastered Edition. I have contacted GOG some time ago and shared the game with them. We have received their answer this morning: it's no, and we are sorry if you were looking for this version. There won't be a GOG release of the game. I won't give the details, but they're "not convinced" and not encouraged by the "lack of attention on Steam". We can understand...

Savegame bug
Regarding this bug, it was found by people playing with the Steam version, but we know that it happens on all versions.

Description of the bug:
You play and everything is working fine, but you're tired and decide to make a manual savegame and quit the game. When you load your savegame later, you discover that a button or hotspot is not working anymore and looks like disabled. Whatever you try, you cannot continue the game and solve the puzzle: you're stuck. It happens on PC Forte and planet Kepler, and maybe in other scenes.

Cause:
It is a bug in the manual savegame system, and it is related to the Visionaire Studio software. As you know, ASA was developed with Visionaire, and we have asked their team to help us fix this issue. As soon as they release an update of their soft, this issue should be fixed.

Temporary solution:
While you play, do not use the manual savegames. Use the autosave feature instead. There are quite a lot of autosave points. For example everytime you come back to the Central Room of the Ark, the game is automatically saved. The autosave is temporarily disabled if you have just saved, and will be available again after 1 minute.

About the future of my games:
As you probably know, I had decided to create ASA Remastered Edition after the game was greenlit on Steam, and particularly because there were many technical issues in ASA Original Edition created with Adventure Maker, which is quite an old engine.
I had hope that ASA Remastered would convince GOG this time, and that the game would run fine on most computers. I have to admit that I am disapointed, and as a result, tired. However I will not give up and will continue to fight in order to solve the last issues with this version, and in order to release Catyph in the best circumstances. However, I am seriously thinking to use a new graphic engine to replace Visionaire Studio. I am looking for something even more reliable, where I wouldn't have all these bugs, and maybe I will try to learn Unity or another software - I don't know yet (maybe I will just keep Visionaire). Catyph would still be a 2D game (made of prerendered backgrounds) but I absolutely want to avoid all these problems after the release. I think it's important that I increase my skills with Unity someday, and that my future games use this tool (or another one like UDK), but on the other hand it's a real challenge for me alone, and it could delay even more the release of Catyph. I have not taken any decision yet and I will let you know as soon as possible.

In the meantime, I hope you like ASA Remastered Edition, despite these unexpected issues, and I hope that you're still waiting for Catyph. If you want to encourage me and my work, the best thing to do is help me get more visibility, and so, to spread the word about my games as much often as possible, the release of ASA, the upcoming Catyph, or The Icehouse collective (TheIcehouse.fr). You can help me and my collective on Facebook, on Tumblr or anywhere else, and we'd be honored to have more followers! I really need your help this way. Thank you very much -Simon.

A shame to see a great game struggle so.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
GOG rejected ASA again :(

Are you bloody kidding me... I recently got in touch with Simon Mesnard, asking whether a GOG release of the remastered edition is likely - he struck me as being a bit more optimistic about getting their stamp of approval this time.

Aenra

thank you for linking buzz , voted :)

Personally i am done with GOG

- games with older Dosbox versions pre-bundled in the installer and no option for me to "untick" Dosbox installation? Check
- games with wrong ingame sound settings? Check. Why mess with settings when you're fucking clueless anyway?
- installers pre-bundled with external software (UPs, etc) that i have no choice on whether to install or not? Even if installing said applications changes gameplay, disallows certain secondary mods/addons? Check.
- older patches disappearing, only most recent one kept? Check. Miss one, start all over..
- no version rollbacks because of the above? Check
- randomly changing installer builds, making them patch-incompatible and forcing me to redownload? Check
- delays in patching compared to Steam? Check
- delays in fixing GOG-only issues? If you were on steam, you'd have been fine? Check
- Selectively..."selective" in regard to what gets in and what not? Check

fuck them, and so fucking long.
I know most of you have issues with DRM. Personally, i do not. Big brother and Orwellian situations, sure. But the two need not necessarily correlate.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Turns out there was an ASA postmortem that I missed: http://www.theblackcube.fr/asa-post-mortem.html

Lots of interesting, and occasionally sad, stuff there. Here are the parts on being rejected by GOG and on the game's sales in general:

"No GOG release?"

People often ask me, and the answer is no, it was impossible. You need to know that GOG has quite an unusual policy regarding the choice of games they publish. They mainly want to keep control on their new releases and increase the marketing for these titles. So it means they accept less games than (let's say) Steam, but in return they provide more private support to the developers. I totally understand this and it's positive, so I am not particularly disapointed that ASA never released on GOG.

When I contacted GOG for the very first time, they looked interested in my game and I even added the GOG logo in a trailer. At that time, I had the feeling to be in touch with the guys of "Good Old Games". You know: the store where you find a lot of old games, very pixelated, and also a lot of point&click games (including Myst). I thought there would be some place for ASA on that kind of store and they didn't deny it. Despite having a low resolution (like many other GOG games), the Original Edition of ASA had quite a rich content and was even rated 4/5 on Adventure Gamers and 15/20 on JeuxVideo.com, so there was a lot of hope. But I was totally wrong regarding the policy of GOG. Among several reasons that would make a cooperation difficult (they were not fond of the puzzles and GUI in ASA), they mainly didn't like the low resolution, which was their first observation:

"Our tester was disappointed in the low resolution of the game and really felt like this should be improved, he really liked the artwork but thought it was too small (1024) and didn’t scale well."

I knew (and accepted) that ASA was far from perfect, but I was chocked that GOG had a problem with the graphics of the game in particular. I might have been a little frustrated by their message and I respectfully replied that their tester was probably not fond of the Myst series: it could have explained his feelings, because Myst-like games had always featured a low resolution (exactly because they are pre-rendered).

"Our tester was actually in fact a very big fan of 1st-person adventure games, especially the Myst series and even made a comment about how you both shared a love for Riven. It’s great that other players have been enjoying the game but unfortunately our tester did not completely share their opinion. He enjoyed some parts of the game but generally he didn’t feel engaged by the puzzles and this in conjunction with some technical issues meant that we aren’t confident that the game will be strongly received on GOG."

I accepted and understood their position (I am open-minded and didn't want to complain. And why would I do such a thing?). And after all, there was still place for hope: if they didn't accept ASA Original Edition, maybe they would accept my new game Catyph someday? A few years later, with the release of ASA Remastered Edition, I contacted GOG again and proposed the HD remake. Unfortunately they refused one more time. They knew that ASA didn’t perform well on Steam (it's true), and as a result they believed that it would not perform well on GOG. They added that they were trying to limit the number of releases on GOG, in order to provide visibility to every game, and as a result they needed to be selective and focus on the best titles only.

So you know for sure that ASA will never release there, and I am sorry for the people who were interested in buying it on their favorite store.

"How many copies have you sold now?"

It is difficult to know exactly in the case of the Original Edition. If you include bundles (mainly Indie Royale Debut 4 Bundle), it’s probably around 2000 copies sold, but as you know bundles sell games for a very low price (often less than 1 euro/game) and it distorts reality a little bit. The regular sales (at the normal price) must have reached a total of 400 or 500 copies, I would say, during the past few years. This is without the Remastered.

The Remastered Edition has found around 2000 owners until today (November 2015), which is quite good in fact for a re-release, even if Steam games should do much better! However you need to remove 1000 of these Steam copies, that were given to people who already owned the game (I decided to give it for free to the owners of ASA Original who asked it - including Bundle owners - which is fair in my opinion).

You could say that the sales of ASA in totality are low compared to other games, and this is mainly due to (1) my lack of experience in marketing, and (2) ASA being a slideshow and challenging game, at the time of Unity, casual/shorter games, and incredible realtime graphics.

Or on the contrary you could think that these sales are high for a one-man game who worked with no funds, but in the end it is not true because Steam (and the others) keep 30%, there are taxes, and I bought expensive softwares.

High or low, it doesn’t matter: I am satisfied with these results. It was my first game after all! My main concern now is to be able to live from game development furthermore, because up to this day I spend more money than I earn, despite having a very simple life. I would like to continue on my own and in a very indie way as long as possible, but I really don’t know what will happen with Catyph next year. I am not very optimistic because there aren’t a lot of magazines that talked of the game until today, despite a lot of efforts with sharing screenshots, trailers and playable versions. I am having a lot of troubles with PR, so we’ll see.

Making ASA required a lot of sacrifices. I understand the devs who choose to go through Kickstarter, or work with a publisher. It’s probably much more comfortable, but also very difficult in a different way… It needs experience in business and management, and I don’t feel ready for that now. If I met the right people someday? For the moment, I prefer to keep a total independency at work.

I'd like to hope that Catyph does well enough, but unfortunately I don't find that likely. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom