Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
So far ACIV isn't bad. The naval combat is still a bit shallow, but the character is likeable and the entire game is a step up for the series.

I just really wish Ubisoft would fuck off with their 'game inside a game' bullshit. I couldn't give two shits about the 'game' outside Kenway's memories, so why not just cut it out entirely and let me play Kenway's story uninterrupted? The entire AC series could really have done without the Animus rubbish. Just as you start to get engrossed in the story you're booted out of the Animus again for some more derpery outside it.

Borelli

Arcane
One way that this game improves on the previous ones is that you're now playing as a proper cunt, a pirate who's only in it for money and pillage. The "kill everyone you meet" approach to problem solving makes a lot more sense for such a person than for a character who's ostensibly fighting for justice and the protection of humanity and who acts like a nice guy in cutscenes.

I agree about the lack of pirate hats though, and there should be parrots too!
If they put a parrot in this game it would probably talk like this:
"buy DLC kraak"
"buy DLC kraak"
You know it to be true.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
So far ACIV isn't bad. The naval combat is still a bit shallow, but the character is likeable and the entire game is a step up for the series.

I just really wish Ubisoft would fuck off with their 'game inside a game' bullshit. I couldn't give two shits about the 'game' outside Kenway's memories, so why not just cut it out entirely and let me play Kenway's story uninterrupted? The entire AC series could really have done without the Animus rubbish. Just as you start to get engrossed in the story you're booted out of the Animus again for some more derpery outside it.

At least they should add some "present day" assassinations and a bit more action besides platforming.

I've been playing it for a few days on my PC, and I must say it's a better game than Ezio ones. (didn't play 3, heard it sucks donkey balls) The first Assassin's Creed was a joke, and only a rough draft, after which they added some features one by one, but with AC IV it finally feels like a total whole with its mini games, exploration, structure, and overall balance - no more retarded money sinks or bad resource management, at least so far. The activities to engage in were also toned down. Instead of collecting 300 flags :lol:, you have I.e. 8 secrets and a few minigames to do in Havana, that don't feel like a totally pointless waste of time. Add the fact that the "side missions", so to speak, are further varied by the whole seafaring/pirating portion of the game, and exploration of wilderness (lots of islands) making for a cohesive game world, and there is a game that finally doesn't grate on one's nerves and, frankly, is what the first Assassin's Creed should be.

What did you expect? Obvious retarded Dan Brown pulp shit from the start is obvious.

Speaking of which, what's interesting in IV "story wise" is the mannerisms and overall style and climate. The story is in fact progressively worse the longer it's continued but can be suppressed subconsciously rather easily.

Although I heard it from other sources only. I've stopped bothering with AC when at the beginning of Brotherhood I lost that Altair Armor and got deleveled to Lvl 1 by that retard whom I life spared. What an unimaginable rubbish.

Last edited:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I can agree with that. ACIV's story started out alright, but it got shit pretty fast.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
One thing I dislike about the series, well another thing I dislike about it, is that they diminish player input as it goes along. Main point is the combat. Sure, it's been shit from the start but by 4 it has devolved into a numbers of set reactions to a number of set circumstances. Press A to break defense, press B to counter and then A to kill. Much like the small alert you get to press B to take a human shield when a musketeer takes aim. The first game let you grab people, toss people and so on whilly nilly. It was still heavily counter based but it just gave you more options and freedom. Ofcourse that also meant it was less polished and more of a mess but at least in it I could grab a guy when an archer shot at me and then throw the guy into the archer to make them both tumble from the roof.

And the glorious return of grinding is retarded. At least there is challenge into trying to take on ships before I should be ready for them. Sinking that first convoy with my unleveled ship was kewl.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Actually, I for one wouldn't give a single flying fuck about this series if it was just another stupid AAA third-persion action adventure. The idea that you're actually playing a game based on extracted memories at least makes the experience unique and worth (barely) my time. Sometimes I feel I've seen everything there's to see in the sci-fi genre so it was a very pleasant surprise for me when I encountered this genuinely original sci-fi trope for the first time in AC2. I tried that game based on hype and even though the whole Ezio story isn't bad, I probably wouldn't get past the first few hours if it wasn't for the metaspin.

Too bad it's one of very few redeeming qualities of the whole series. They have done an incredibly poor job with the First People story, that one is so tired and cliched it bores me just to think about it. Also AC1 was terrible, Revelations worthless and AC3 boring beyond belief.

After finishind AC4 I can say I liked the characters, writing and voice talents (Ezio still rulez though :cool: ) but they fucked up the open-world concept with incredibly, monstrously boring, mind-crushing busywork and chore collecting all the useless crap like bottles, fragments or cosmetical upgrades. For instance it takes hours upon hours to complete the Templar Hunt quests and you get what, a new suit? What? The same thing goes for the Mayan statues - you get a bullet-proof armor, as if you need anything to help you with the retarded combat. And I don't even want to know what you get for collecting all the fucking fragments. After reading up on all the rewards, I never bothered with any of this. As for the main story, I lost track who wants what and why am I doing XYZ half-way through and the stalking missions started to get on my nerves after the second one (there are like 20 in total). But still the overall Edward's story and character progression was nice, maybe the best in the series.

Anyway, I feel that's definitely it for the old Assassin's Creed generation. In AC4 almost every single element of the gameplay felt incredibly tired and worn out. I'm pretty sure if they don't change the gameplay completely for the next installment they won't get away with it even if you play Jesus himself.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag has to be the most superior game in the series right now, but that isn't a difficult task to achieve, especially since most games have been extremely boring and repetitive.

DeepOcean

Arcane
For once, I'm happy that they got to caribbean and gone Pirates of the Caribean and can get their plot without raping history as much. I really hated in AC 3 where you save George Washington, watch the constitution being signed, help the colonists to win important battles and Connor constant emo angst and native butthurt was so fucking annoying, AWESOME George Washington was the last drop.

i liked how edward was there just for lulz, money and some old good plundering:thumbsup: no more vengeance or FREEDOM!!!! bullshit.

fighting those 5 legendary war ships was intense as fuck if you did not upgrade your ship

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

You are late, someone posted this earlier :) One of the most surreal bugs ever!

I'm encounting another strange bug at our home cove. Found my ship parked at a very high altitude and standing vertical... twice. Only way to reach it was the boats at coast. I'll try to capture&share it tonight :)
Flying Dutchmen at its best...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This game is pretty much finally reaching the potential of the series, though it's still overly long and with too much busywork.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yeah, the game really isn't that long unless you're trying to get 100% for everything.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It doesn't have the narrative or system depth of a real RPG, so 20+ hours is a bit crazy in my opinion. Maybe you can zoom through it faster than that, though. I have never managed to do so.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Nah, it's mind crushingly long, I never bothered with any stupid collectibles and rarely had higher than 80% synch and I was exhausted long before the end.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I gave up on AC2. Came to the glider section and I couldnt be bothered altho there were some incline in the main missions. Think I got only one puzzle left for Altairs armor.
I ignored pretty much all of the beat/kill/race missions and it still takes like forever to get the story going. Maybe I'll pick it up later when I'm finished with some other games and have more time cause it seems I could easily waste 50+ hours in this game just derping around. It might be worth if I find some more enjoyment in combat. So far the biggest plus were treasure hunt puzzle sections and revealing more of the map by climbing towers to get moar codex pages.

Nekrosis

Literate
I often red here that the Story of AC3 is really poor. I'm currently at approx 30% and I still think that the Story is pretty good. In fact I love this game. I lost Interest in the AC2 games after Brotherhood failed miserably IMO. AC2 was really good and maybe my expectations were way too high. But nevertheless I didn't enjoy to play Brotherhood. So I didn't not play Revelations at all... I did not want to spend more time with Ezio.

Then the third part was announced and I was like "Ah that seems pretty good, let's have a look." And I have to say that I didn't like the gameplay at all. What bothered me the most were the Quick Time Hunting Events. I didn't finished the 3rd part.

And then I saw the first gameplay videos of AC4 and I was stunned. I loved the seafights in the third part, but it was stll just some kind of Minigame at this point. I have to say that I was never a real pirate fan But AC4 made me one within a few hours. Even the minigames are more than awesome. Killing the first Whale was like "Woooohoooooo". And I like Edward as a character. Way better than Ezio or Connor. I hope they will keep him for a while and bring him to Victrian London like it was teased in the Ingame Mail (Spoiler Alert)

So I have to say IMO by far the best AC so far and with The Last of Us my game of the year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom