Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Baron Dupek

Arcane

Release the Kraken! cat from the chimney!

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I laughed at that video, funny shit, I hope Ubi gives em a job as QA testers in the next game.

People these days dont really expect that much from games and thats why you reactions like Nekrosis posted up there, derping around as unkillable pirate parkeur god seems to hit the right spot for some. He seems young or trolling.
I watched few streams and two reviews maybe and it didnt take much to get bored. And that fucking guard slaughter with no consequence or challenge whatsoever put me off big time. And everybody I watched was doing it like some fucking sadists.
People are fucked up these days.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Those little bugs are nothing, for us who have seen shit at least.

Flying Dutchmen.

Assassin%25E2%2580%2599s+Creed%25C2%25AE+IV+Black+Flag%25E2%2584%25A2+Deluxe+01.jpg

Assassin%25E2%2580%2599s+Creed%25C2%25AE+IV+Black+Flag%25E2%2584%25A2+Deluxe+100.jpg

Assassin%25E2%2580%2599s+Creed%25C2%25AE+IV+Black+Flag%25E2%2584%25A2+Deluxe+101.jpg

Also our ship raise from underwater rarely. Again it mostly happens in our cove, only once it happened out side it, the small moment at start of credits.

I love them surreal bugs :)

Nekrosis

Literate
I often red here that the Story of AC3 is really poor. I'm currently at approx 30% and I still think that the Story is pretty good. In fact I love this game. I lost Interest in the AC2 games after Brotherhood failed miserably IMO. AC2 was really good and maybe my expectations were way too high. But nevertheless I didn't enjoy to play Brotherhood. So I didn't not play Revelations at all... I did not want to spend more time with Ezio.

Then the third part was announced and I was like "Ah that seems pretty good, let's have a look." And I have to say that I didn't like the gameplay at all. What bothered me the most were the Quick Time Hunting Events. I didn't finished the 3rd part.

And then I saw the first gameplay videos of AC4 and I was stunned. I loved the seafights in the third part, but it was stll just some kind of Minigame at this point. I have to say that I was never a real pirate fan But AC4 made me one within a few hours. Even the minigames are more than awesome. Killing the first Whale was like "Woooohoooooo". And I like Edward as a character. Way better than Ezio or Connor. I hope they will keep him for a while and bring him to Victrian London like it was teased in the Ingame Mail (Spoiler Alert)

So I have to say IMO by far the best AC so far and with The Last of Us my game of the year.

Ah Sorry I meant "I often red here that the Story of AC4 is really poor..."

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
If only Medal of Honor had done angry Jew DLC.

Inglorious Bastards Brothers in Arms: Furious 4

Ubisoft needs to make a Django Unchained dlc for AssCreed 5. You play as a freed nigger, go about killing dem slaveowners in search of your waifu.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So, how is the DRM in this game? If I were to buy retail, would I have to put up with some always-online Ubisoft client?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
So, how is the DRM in this game? If I were to buy retail, would I have to put up with some always-online Ubisoft client?

It's the same as Steam, only a Uplay client instead of the Steam client. Offline mode, achievements, etc... all the same.

Stella Brando

Arcane
I've been playing this recently, and was surprised at how good it is. I found I developed a connection to the characters by the end and will miss them now that they've gone. Edwards coming of age, the end of the age of pirates, and that final piece of news are all quite sad. I only remember feeling this way at the end of Red Dead Redemption. Anyway it's an excellent game, piracy on the high seas meets the usual Assassin's Creed tropes. I've finished the game but will continue to fuck around on the water, upgrading my ship and the like.

I may read On Stranger Tides, apparently it has my old pals Blackbeard and Stede Bonnet.

This is probably the last game I'll play on Xbox, the old girl is getting a bit worse for wear. Now she only works when the air conditioning is on. I've been lying to my girlfriend about why I keep my place so cool. So it's the end of an era, in more ways then one, then.

Anyone else play Black Flag?

Last edited:

baturinsky

Arcane
Game is good, and I'd recommend playing AC:Rogue if you liked Black Flag.
But... I kind of stopped caring about AC plots. They are just lots of people killing each other and you mopping up survivors, and it's all ultimately for nothing. I prefer plots that give my actions some positive meaning.

Atchodas

Augur
Ezio Trilogy & AC4 Main Game ( not save the negros dlc ) has decent stories , i replayed Black Flag 3 times and Edward Kenway story comes close to Ezio trilogy which is of course best there is in Assassins Creed department . Black Flag was great game in general all that open world , ship battles , and ofc all the pirate related stuff made it very enjoyable experience

AC:Rogue doesnt come close tho , but it was fun to play as a Templar for once , also you could murder random people without getting desynced which is definitely incline for the series , currently got a new save game on Rogue just at the point i reached new york for first time(before any of gang HQ's are overtaken) which i use as my peasants hanging simulator when i am too high to play any real game , there is very annoying bug tho which doesnt let you to hang more than 1 person on 1 ledge or they would fall down to the ground , anyway Rope Dart is best thing in Assassins Creed
AC 3 imo was a huge miss and worst of whole series and then there is Unity which we dont talk about

Last edited:

spectre

Arcane
I remember liking AC2 for its sightseeing potential, I really dug Brotherhood for the opportunity to parkour the Coliseum and some roman ruins.
I even liked Revelations for the comedy factor of having a towelhead selling bombs at every corner.
Though I was pretty tired of all the Desmond Miles modern shit, and the goody goody assassins, and Ezio's inanity, on the whole AC2 had quite a lot of filler, but I still managed to play it through.

AC III was pretty shit. Can't put my finger on it, but at some point I just had enough. I liked the beginning though (which may be why I like BF).

Black Fag is the only title in the series I genuinely enjoyed throughout - the writing, the characters (some were cheesy of course, but I found Kenyway genuniely likeable), the missions, the sailing, fighting legendary ships, harpooning whales. Damn, I even liked some of the chanties.

I've recently picked up Rogue, since it promised more of the same. Technically, it delivers, but it still feels like an inferior product. I literally had to grit my teeth and play through the first 1/3, because it was pretty weak, recycled missions, recycled content, meh characters,
but it picked up speed once I got to New York. It wasn't that great technically speaking (guess Ubi are on a roll here), performance is just ok, controls feel less responsive, and I get various glitches from time to time.
Despite the shortcomings, it's quite fun, the Lisbon sequence reminded me of the game's Prince of Persia heritage, and how I'm missing its jump puzzles and the Dahaka chase.
Most of the stuff that was fun in Black Fag is still fun, and I can get behind Atchodas that hanging guys from trees is perhaps the best addition ever, and Rogue lets you do that quite early on.
All in all, the game consists of three large maps - new york is good of one wants some urban action, northern seas is great for sailing with ice everywhere (glaciers collapsing under cannon fire is something to watch, shipwrecks buried under ice also rub me the right way)
while the river valley... dunno, but it feels cramped and not really to my liking.

As for Unity, I am hearing it's still a mess of a game and I can't be arsed to find the right torrent with all the updates. I may pick it up when it's finally patched and heavily discounted but I am not especially eager, as I understand it's a more "classical" AC approach and no sailing.

Stella Brando

Arcane
Regarding Rogue, I think they should have just made a Viking game. Then they could have had icy seas, naval combat, exploration, and America. I'm not sure why they set a game during the Seven Years War. It just makes me think of Barry Lyndon. Who's a fan of the Seven Years War?

Aoyagi

Scholar
I found the naval combat to be less engaging than in AC3 and it felt more like a spin-off.

Atchodas

Augur
Yeh but then you would need to make new story , new characters etc etc etc

Stella Brando

Arcane
Just give me MEH NORSEMEN, the rest can go hang.

Incidentally, the town where that kid shot up a church (Charleston, 2015) is the same place where Blackbeard was killed (Charles-Towne, 1718).

Last edited:

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Pirate's Creed is the only AC game I liked. The only thing holding it back is that it's still an Assassin's Creed game. Get rid of the parkour, the assassins vs. templars story that never goes anywhere and bad combat/stealth and you'd have a damn good pirate sim.

Stella Brando

Arcane
Pirates and leaping and climbing are linked in my mind, probably thanks to Douglas Fairbanks and Errol Flynn. Like Kenway says, "Fishhooks for fingers - that's how you tell a true sailor."

I'm reading about the pirates, and one of the great things about the game is how much real history is in it. Vane, Roberts, Teach, Rackham, Mary Read and Anne Bonny, the Governors, they're all here. I was wondering why the game had no Port Royal, for example, but an earthquake laid it low in 1692, leading to the rise of Kingston. Even Stede Bonnet, the wacky merchant-turned-pirate, is true to life.

Templars and assassins are nonsense, I agree. But you can just concentrate on the parts you like.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNzE4NzAzNDMy.html?from=s1.8-1-1.2&x

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I was surprised by how enjoyable Black Flag could be as well. That said I still quit halfway through, because AC games are so endlessly repetitive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom