Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Origins - it's an RPG now

Jarmaro

Liturgist
As I watched the entire story on youtube, one must be said.
It's utterly dissapointing. It starts average, then gets to be good, but only to end bad.
In they end everything game shows feels incredibly discconected from it. Main targets are on the screen for like a minute before we kill them.
The dialogs are made by someone clearly incompetent for that job, I don't remember previous Assassins to be that bad in this matter. It's a dissaster.
And holy shit, it becomes so pretentious at some point...

At some point they realized the game is about assassins, so they made like, 2 last hours assassin stuff and how it originated.
Two main characters start to speak some bullshit without any reason and this is to be considered an origin of brotherhood.
While other parts of the game are good, the story is pathetic.
It's a disgrace.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Not to mention the desert hallucinations. Love that stuff. Someone played Dune back in the day.
Those are highly unrealistic mate. You don't get desert hallucinations for riding a horse for half an hour,especially if you are a native.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Not to mention the desert hallucinations. Love that stuff. Someone played Dune back in the day.
Those are highly unrealistic mate. You don't get desert hallucinations for riding a horse for half an hour,especially if you are a native.

Another thing of note - in real life you don't respawn a few dozen meters from where you died.
Another thing is that,if you try to slide down the great pyramid,you will break every bone in your body.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Lol, Ubisoft pulling off an inept "russian troll" campaign to manipulate Metacritic user scores:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It will sell millions on consoles.
I am not that sure mate. Even the peasants are growing up. A lot of people are just more ... jaded and tired of all the repetition. People constantly want something new that they haven't experienced yet. Every franchise is going to die one day,today could be the day of asscreed.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
It just proves, that the reception of the predecessor is driving sales much more than reviews and that the game likely isn't good enough for a word of mouth sales increase. (Even the reviews, which gave it generally good ratings were rarely really enthusiastic.)

I can't comment not the marketing efforts of Ubisoft, I rarely consume ad infested media like free TV and use an adblocker on the web, so I don't have a feeling whether the game was pushed harder then Syndicate (or Unity).

Queems

Barely Literate
In my opinion, this is very good news, Assassin's Creed had to go this way. The whole series was boring, since Assassin's creed 2, still served the same.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It just proves, that the reception of the predecessor is driving sales much more than reviews and that the game likely isn't good enough for a word of mouth sales increase. (Even the reviews, which gave it generally good ratings were rarely really enthusiastic.)

I can't comment not the marketing efforts of Ubisoft, I rarely consume ad infested media like free TV and use an adblocker on the web, so I don't have a feeling whether the game was pushed harder then Syndicate (or Unity).
Ouh yeah,the only people that care about journos opinions are the CIO's and tweeter. Most people don't even bother to read reviews,they bay because they have heard someone say "It is a good game!" . The only reviews that could actually matter are the steam reviews. Also another big deterrent for the game is the nigger. Every person have racism in them,it is human nature to be displeased with different things. A few hundred years ago,different could kill you. Most people could block the racism,when their surroundings are not giving them reason to act on it. But with modern political/cultural climate .... most people say "Fuck that shit,i won't play as a nigger!"

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The protagonist is fine and not doesn't feel like some shoehorned diversity token. They could have made him darker without straying too far from the historical sources because Nubian mercenaries have been part of Egypt's military from the Old Kingdom on, but likely decided to go for a lighter "Arab" look. His wife is even more light skinned (likely of mixed Greek and Egyptian ancestry).

The game does thematize "racism" in so far it uses the conflict between the Greek ruling class and the Egyptian population for some story elements.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It just proves, that the reception of the predecessor is driving sales much more than reviews

I for one claim Syndicate is the best AC game technically and mechanically. The Victorian setting is very hit and miss obviously - only few settings have such an universal appeal as Rome or pirates - but mechanically the game is the pinnacle even after Origins.

To be honest Origins feel progressively more barebones. Yes they removed optional challenges and collectibles and and conquering camps and different kinds of repeating activities that people were probably sick of after ten games but...what's left? They removed a bunch of stuff and replaced it with nothing. There's just nothing to do in this damn game. You can loot lairs (kill the boss and loot the chest), kill animals and then...uh...that's it.

Initially the game completely wows you with the incredible environmental design but after several hours you'll realize you're doing basically one single thing over and over again. Even the main quest is not exactly riveting - the simplest imaginable revenge story. Plus the hero is just dull macho archetype. Even the Indian dude from AC3 was more interesting - at least he was whiny and obnoxious. Bayek is...nothing. He's just there.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The protagonist is fine and not doesn't feel like some shoehorned diversity token. They could have made him darker without straying too far from the historical sources because Nubian mercenaries have been part of Egypt's military from the Old Kingdom on, but likely decided to go for a lighter "Arab" look. His wife is even more light skinned (likely of mixed Greek and Egyptian ancestry).

The game does thematize "racism" in so far it uses the conflict between the Greek ruling class and the Egyptian population for some story elements.
Most buyers don't care about such shit,they see a nigger and just ignore the game. I don't like it because it ahistorical and unrealistic and i am little bit of reactionary racist. Mixed racial couples were not looked good during human history.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Most buyers don't care about such shit,they see a nigger and just ignore the game.

He's not a nigger, his look is Semitic, which is what the old Egyptians probably were - some sort of Proto-Semites.

Which is exactly what Altair was and the reason why we have 10+ games is that AC1 was such a huge hit, even with a "nigger" as a protagonist.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Most buyers don't care about such shit,they see a nigger and just ignore the game. I don't like it because it ahistorical and unrealistic and i am little bit of reactionary racist. Mixed racial couples were not looked good during human history.

So you suggest, they should have picked a different setting where they could have had a white protagonist? And what about the protagonist is ahistorical? Historically he could have been even more dark / Nubian. Maybe it's a bit ahistorical, that his wife is of mixed heritage when they grew up in a backwater oasis. Though maybes was the product of some Greek official who had to serve there.

The modern concept of "racism" is rather unknown in the old times. People adhered mostly to a cultural tribalism (hence the conflicts between the Greek ruling class (which during the time frame of the game was already dependent on the Romans, while still being officially independent) and the Egyptian subjects.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Most buyers don't care about such shit,they see a nigger and just ignore the game.

He's not a nigger, his look is Semitic, which is what the old Egyptians probably were - some sort of Proto-Semites.

Which is exactly what Altair was and the reason why we have 10+ games is that AC1 was such a huge hit, even with a "nigger" as a protagonist.
People see that mug and see nigger.
466265-maxresdefault.jpg

If you think that people know what is proto-semites,you are highly naive and misguided. Also Egyptians were pretty white,most likely from the Ionian region.

Here is a nice read that i found:
https://www.africaresource.com/rast...ese-modern-day-egyptians-by-moustafa-gadalla/

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
fantadomat

You seem to be obsessed with the word ''nigger''.
Only on the forum mate,in real life i use the word негър .
Jokes aside,what words should i use? In my language nigger is word that means black dude. I take it,it is a cultural thing. In the west there is such thing as taboo words,here nobody cares about such things,it is like ..... freedom of expression.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Jokes aside,what words should i use? In my language nigger is word that means black dude. I take it,it is a cultural thing. In the west there is such thing as taboo words,here nobody cares about such things,it is like ..... freedom of expression.

On the Codex you have freedom of expression, but this doesn't mean that you have to repeat "n*gger" all the time how a little child who just learned a forbidden word.

Nathir

Liturgist
fantadomat

You seem to be obsessed with the word ''nigger''.

You are free to use the word nigger if you want. I'm just saying you include it in almost every sentence you post.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom