Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Astroneer - game of aerospace industry and interplanetary exploration.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ok, somehow the aesthetics of the trailer for this upcoming early access hit the right never with me. I would guess it is some sort of Space Engineers lite (with even less realistic physics), or No Man's sky meets Minecraft. I will definitely be looking forward this game, in particular since my rig cannot run SE anymore after the introduction of planets.

Early Access expected in Q1/2016.

Developed in Unreal 4 engine, by a company called System Era Softworks from Seattle.

http://astroneer.space/

Astroneer is game about wonder, discovery, power, greed, mystery, and grand endeavor in a new age of expansion on the fringes of humanity. You will land alone, or with a small crew of friends, on a planet to call your own. Harsh but bountiful, infinite worlds will beckon you to explore, exploit, and ultimately to reshape to your desire. Excavate and deform the land, uncover precious resources, jury-rig equipment to suit your taste and needs, create industrial scale extraction and manufacturing facilities, and locate rare items and artifacts. Contribute to the survival of Earth-based humankind, and get rich along the way.

The worlds in Astroneer are diverse, from huge spherical planets with atmospheres and vast landscapes, to strangely shaped small asteroids floating in the rings of gas giants. Each world is procedurally generated, unique to your experience, and can be totally reshaped by your tools. Excavate vast underground tunnels or create megaliths on the surface; the world is your Play-Doh.

Media coverage:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/8/9483347/astroneer-video-game-space-exploration

http://kotaku.com/upcoming-astronaut-space-exploration-game-looks-amazing-1735203176

Trailer:

laclongquan

Arcane
1. Does it have world generator? Could be fun. " Each world is procedurally generated," is a tall order.
2. Does it have physic engine? Cause That is one thing to differentiate worlds.
3. Does it have resource balance? Well the lack could be fun in its own way.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
GDC pre-alpha demo, shown to Giant Bomb.

On a closer look, not sure how I feel about the motley aesthetics of the game, but crafting system at least seems a fun idea: You 3D print stuff out.

Seems pretty lite on space travel and physics. Though the rocket orbiting the planet at the end of the presentation looks nice.

Planets are randomly generated, but they are composed of biomes defined off-line, which the generator then randomly picks.

You can actually mine yourself to the planet core, if I understood correctly.

Great potential for sculpting penises.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron

Dude I don't know, hard to make up my mind about this. On one hand I like how you can mold/terraform pretty much everything to your liking, reminiscent of childhood days playing with putty.

But then again, the pungent colours and some of the objects are almost migraine inducing.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
Ok, I'll put my shill hat on, this from the devs:

http://blog.astroneer.space/system-era/expectations/

Managing expectations is (probably) impossible.

I don’t enjoy writing about the missteps of other developers, but in the name of transparency I think this is an important point to make: The controversial release of No Man’s Sky fuels a lot of discussions about the development and marketing of Astroneer and more importantly the reaction the gaming community had to it. A lot of the press coverage about Astroneer links the two games together and we’ve seen a lot of talk amongst our community about those connections.

I’m not going to comment on one specific aspect of the game or the people behind it. This blog post isn’t about that. I want to take this opportunity to put into practice the most important thing we’ve learned from witnessing No Man’s Sky: Know what you are saying, but understand what is heard.

When Astroneer launches in December it will be an incomplete game.

The game’s core designs will be playable, but some will be fleshed out more than others.

There will be art that looks incomplete, very rough, or too simple.

The multiplayer will hitch and probably act weird (hilariously so).

Audio be missing or trigger in the wrong spots. Or maybe the music playing isn’t appropriate for your moment.

You may even experience a game-breaking bug that will force you to start over from scratch.

You’ll load the game up for the first time and almost certainly experience and form an opinion about at least one of those things. That’s exactly the reason we want you to check out Astroneer while it’s in early access. We have a vision for the game; a direction we’re taking it in, and we need to know what you think as early as possible. Astroneer is not an aerospace simulation game, nor is it a completely science-fiction fantasy game. It’s something in-between. The best thing about releasing the game early is the feedback we’ll receive from you, the community, and evolving the game from there. This can happen anywhere: On our own forums (a work-in-progress we’ve yet to share), the Steam Forums, Reddit, Twitter, or Facebook . And while I am telling you the game will be incomplete when it releases in December— a sometimes overlooked characteristic of an early access game— what will be present this December are the games’ core features, gameplay, and virtues of Astroneer-the-game: Exploring and surviving on uninhabited planets, making new discoveries, 3D printing things with resources you discovered or manufactured, building a base to meet your own goals, traveling to new planets in your solar system, and interacting with planets using the Astroneer’s Deformation Tool. And you’ll be able to do those things with 3 additional friends using peer-to-peer co-op. (Couch co-op TBD.)

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
What expectations?
My interpretation is that he wants to cover all bases now that some silly people have started claiming Astroneer would be the game NMS was meant to be etc.

I personally hope that the game will be little fun $20.00 priced indie, where I can mold penises and swastikas terraform planet's surface to my liking. The game being light survival/exploration sim in general.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
I personally hope that the game will be little fun $20.00 priced indie, where I can mold penises and swastikas terraform planet's surface to my liking. The game being light survival/exploration sim in general.

The price confirmed to be USD 19.99.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
Minimum specs revealed

MINIMUM AND RECOMMENDED HARDWARE
Zabir and Brendan have been hard at work optimizing the game lately and have narrowed down the min-spec to a range we’re confident in:

MINI SPEC
  • 4 GB RAM
  • X64 Dual Core CPU, 2+ GHz
  • Discrete GPU with 1 GB VRAM
RECOMMENDED SPEC
  • 8 GB RAM
  • X64 Quad Core CPU, 3+ GHz
  • Discrete GPU with 2 GB VRAM
LOCALIZATION
A lot of you will be pleased to know that Riley has been hard at work localizing the game in a variety of languages.

ASTRONEER WILL BE AVAILABLE IN THE FOLLOWING LANGUAGES
  • English
  • German
  • Russian
  • Spanish Latin
  • Spanish Castilian
  • Portuguese
  • French
  • Chinese Simplified
  • Italian
  • Japanese
  • Korean
  • Polish
  • Dutch

It'll be available in potato and in some crazy guttural languages, what sorcery is this?

http://blog.astroneer.space/p/information-update-min-spec-localization/

Drax

Arcane
  • Spanish Latin
  • Spanish Castilian
:lol:

What's the point of having "latin" spanish and "castillian". Most LatAm countries with the exception of :obviously: Argentina speaks pretty much the same thing as spanish people do just with different accent.
Only Argie spanish has real linguistic differences.
Way to waste resources imo.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Drax has never been to Spain.
Castillano has the same standing as Hochdeutsch in Switzerland. That means people will cooperate in communicating with you, but despise it. And when they talk to each other in their own language you hardly understand a word.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
looks neat
what is the griefing potential in mp?

dehimos

Augur
:lol:

What's the point of having "latin" spanish and "castillian". Most LatAm countries with the exception of :obviously: Argentina speaks pretty much the same thing as spanish people do just with different accent.
Only Argie spanish has real linguistic differences.
Way to waste resources imo.

Drax has never been to Spain.
Castillano has the same standing as Hochdeutsch in Switzerland. That means people will cooperate in communicating with you, but despise it. And when they talk to each other in their own language you hardly understand a word.

There is not a great difference with the texts, even with the Argentineans. The differences in the lexicon (for example; "ustedes" or "vosotros", this means the same: "you") are appreciable by Spaniards and South Americans. Some people are offended by these small changes, so often two types of spanish are introduced.

Another thing is the accents or the local informal language.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
No hostiles other than the environmental hazards implemented yet, right?

Norfleet

Strictly speaking, you'd think being in SPACE would be hazardous enough without the need for hostile aliens.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
I've touched the game only a little - but there are no other threats that I would have seen.

You have to keep yourself tethered to the landing module all the time, since your oxygen tank lasts for about two minutes without the connection. And you have to craft those tethers yourself by finding a resource called 'compound'. So far I think this is the silliest part of the game, as it introduces artifical scarcity that really does not enhance the experience.

Crafting is something very simple, you have like 5 different recources, each of which can be used to produce different artifacts. Also extending the base module happens that way, this whole system is really casual.

Overall, I think that's just what the game is, a really casual cute little game, that aspires nothing more. I'll post a more throughout impressions once I've proceeded enough to lift off to other planets in the system.

GrainWetski

Arcane
If they add them, they need to be extremely rare in this kind of game. Not everywhere like in Shit Turd's Sty.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Ways to die:

# Suffocate by running out of oxygen.
# Fall from a great height (Actually haven't tried this, but sounds logical.)
# Get clobbered by rocking during a very strong sandstorm.
# Choke to death on poison gas thrown at you (?!?) by some kind of bulbous plant-sack thingie down in the caverns.

There are 2 "low-tier" resources that form the base for most building in the game, and a further 4 or so metals that form the next tier of resources. While the game does expect you to go find them, I managed to research and build a trade outpost and just traded away "Organics" (harvest plants) to get the specific metals I needed.

To research items, first a lab must be built and then large "chunks" of metal found and dragged to the lab. Almost all of them are buried underground, so try digging under any funny-looking bits of scenery you may come across. Human-built craft can also have items you can scavenge.

Direwolf

Arcane
Played it for 3 hours yesterday. I usually hate survival shit, but this one is pretty fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom