Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Asylum (from creator of Scratches)

Repressed Homosexual
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/agustincordes/asylum-kickstart-the-horror
Steam Greenlight: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=95795715

https://af.gog.com/game/asylum?as=1649904300

http://www.senscape.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1171

He released a FAQ just today.

This is going to be so, sooo good. Scratches was already truly great.

I went into a Victorian house converted into a hotel a while ago. The first thing I thought was "it feels like I'm in Scratches!".

I have no problem believing that they will turn the asylum into a truly memorable, atmospheric place. He says it will be three time as big as the Scratches house.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
http://www.senscape.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1171

He released a FAQ just today.

This is going to be so, sooo good. Scratches was already truly great.

I went into a Victorian house converted into a hotel a while ago. The first thing I thought was "it feels like I'm in Scratches!".

I have no problem believing that they will turn the asylum into a truly memorable, atmospheric place. He says it will be three time as big as the Scratches house.

:bounce:

SO looking forward to this.

Nattvardsvin

Learned
Awesome. Scratches was creepy as fuck. And the story and how it built up was very interesting. Shame they probably won't make it this year, but hey, they should take all the time in the world, I am positive this will be great.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Shit looks better than amnesia for sure.

Any swines confirmed?

Repressed Homosexual
Beautiful game. Scratches was actually quite intelligent, and this will up the ante a lot more. They have my support.

And this is why I hate Steam Greenlight, forcing people to do grassroots marketing and annoy their fans on social media. Ultimately, it's just a gimmick from Valve to give themselves more power and control.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I didn't expect you all to like Scratches so much. It's pretty much my favorite game of its type and it sort of warms my heart that I'm not alone in that.
And I didn't know he was making another game! Nice! Thanks, Codex!

This guy really knows how to make an atmosphere. This is going to be a better experience than Amnesia if Scratches is anything to go by - even though of course they can't be compared, they're quite different.

But what I loved about Scratches is that

Almost nothing terrifying happens. And when it does it's really mild compared to Amnesia. But... and this is important: the impact is MUCH harsher. The man knows how to build an atmosphere so thick you can slice it with the edge of your hand. The horror in Scratches is 99% in your head and that's the true sign of a great horror game.

I hate to use such a loaded word but Scratches is a far more, uh, cerebral game.

piydek

Cipher
I finished Scratches recently and the game is fucking amazing. Yeah, Agustin Cordes really understands horror. It's obvious that not only he reads Lovecraft, but understands his concept of horror as well. I'm truly amazed by the level of atmosphere, the incredibly sophisticated build-up in the game, the absence of pretty much anything cheap (in the way of horror) in it. The music and its use and the environment artist also did an amazing job.

The game is not without its flaws and there's some quite major stuff too. I'll put it in spoiler tags although it's design-related:

I think that these guys should really try to figure out a way to avoid the game being a series of triggers the way Scratches is. In Scratches there is such a strict order in which not only you must do things, but order which enables certain things within game to be done. This ends up in inducing TONS of backtracking and worse - often in no way of rational deduction of what you should do next. You just have to go around and try stuff. At least this is consistent with the game design in the sense of being lost in a strange environment. But from the gameplay perspective, it can get very tedious. If they manage to avoid this in Asylum, it's going to be the best horror game EVAR!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Spooky.

Too bad Cellar of Rats doesn't make music anymore. Scratches' music... The feels, man.

Repressed Homosexual
I finished Scratches recently and the game is fucking amazing. Yeah, Agustin Cordes really understands horror. It's obvious that not only he reads Lovecraft, but understands his concept of horror as well. I'm truly amazed by the level of atmosphere, the incredibly sophisticated build-up in the game, the absence of pretty much anything cheap (in the way of horror) in it. The music and its use and the environment artist also did an amazing job.

The game is not without its flaws and there's some quite major stuff too. I'll put it in spoiler tags although it's design-related:

I think that these guys should really try to figure out a way to avoid the game being a series of triggers the way Scratches is. In Scratches there is such a strict order in which not only you must do things, but order which enables certain things within game to be done. This ends up in inducing TONS of backtracking and worse - often in no way of rational deduction of what you should do next. You just have to go around and try stuff. At least this is consistent with the game design in the sense of being lost in a strange environment. But from the gameplay perspective, it can get very tedious. If they manage to avoid this in Asylum, it's going to be the best horror game EVAR!

Yes, he's a genius, and he truly gets it like you say. Scratches itself is brillantly constructed. I am easily interested in any future game he comes up with, even if I eventually end up losing most of my interest in the medium.

A user named cat

Scratches: Director's Cut was probably the best $5 I ever spent on a game. I think it's time to replay it again years later and see if it's still that good. Damn how I loved that quiet mansion and it looked great after installing that graphic pack update he released.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
"It seems this tree has been put here as an artificial obstacle by the designers to stop me from exploring the rest of the asylum!"

:rpgcodex:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I wish they fired the guy who did the music and hired Cellar of Rats again.
Yeah, I know he doesn't make music anymore.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Just a bump and reminder for me and others to back this. Only 12 more days, it's close but it might not make it. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom