Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Asylum (from creator of Scratches)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Woah, how could I miss this kickstarter? I have Scratches, and loved it, although I never finished it, but I will when I have some time. I hope these guys make it....9 days left and 13K missing. Come on people, pay like a man!

Mothman

Novice
I've yet to play Scratches, but I've always wanted to since I heard about it. I'm actually glad to hear that this project has met its goal. Now we just have to hope nobody pulls out before it's over.

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm hoping they get 10-15k more than the goal just in case the 10k backer is some dickhead joking around. The stretch goals aren't very interesting so far... he's taking his sweet time revealing the PENULTIMATE!!! stretch goal.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Let me just say, the creator and writer of Asylum, Agustin Cordes, is nothing but a great guy. He's been supportive of my group's project (QFI). He backed it on KS, and he even voiced a character in Demo 2.0... he's a fan of adventure games, and totally supportive to others who are making them. In face, they created an engine to make the game, Dagon, which they're releasing as open source for anyone else to use to make games, too.

Bt

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Let me just say, the creator and writer of Asylum, Agustin Cordes, is nothing but a great guy. He's been supportive of my group's project (QFI). He backed it on KS, and he even voiced a character in Demo 2.0... he's a fan of adventure games, and totally supportive to others who are making them. In face, they created an engine to make the game, Dagon, which they're releasing as open source for anyone else to use to make games, too.

Bt
This!

He is such a sympathetic guy. I've seen Matt's interviews with him, and it was good to see his passion and open mindness.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I completed Scratches: Director's Cut (Really great!) and Last Visit (Really disappointing!) just an hour before the Asylum Kickstarter ended. Asylum received my money at the last minute.

I hope Asylum keeps the same kind of atmosphere. Scratches was great in how calm it usually was, hell, I thought Day 2 was beautiful, you being comfortable inside a big mansion while a rainstorm brews outside and the dream you had the night before wasn't that bad.

Then you see that damn mask pop-up in the door animation in the dream that night. And then you wake up and crawl into the furnace...shudder.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The Insanity Must Go On...
Update #21 · Mar. 19, 2013 · 3 comments

It was a cold, sad day. An eerie wind was howling. No birds where chirping. Tumbleweeds passed by. The Asylum Kickstarter campaign, once a mandatory point of encounter for deranged people from all over the world, was essentially over. With the exception of the usual suspects making politically incorrect posts about human body parts, the comments section was a tiny fraction of the massive, ever-growing snowball of insanity and decadence that rolled during February.

All wasn't lost, though. A new update was looming on the horizon… A new chance to rejoin the madness, to be freed from the shackles that modern society has imposed on us and descend into a New Dark Age where sanity is eradicated. A day may come when it's normal to greet people by waving severed limbs at them.

But it is not this day. Today you can join the Senscape forums and earn your Backer Badges.

To Forum Or Not To Forum
Seriously, all our backers are encouraged to register and become part of the Senscape community. It's a nice and cozy place with loads of kind and intelligent fans of the adventure genre, but just as importantly, you will gain access to the Backers Loungewhere we will periodically post cutting-edge news about Asylum, including materials that not even the press will get. For example, right now you can have a glimpse of the exterior of the Hanwell Mental Institute at dawn (which is how the game begins), a sneak preview at our upcoming offices, the place which thanks to your funds we can rent to give together a final, decisive blow to the development of Asylum, as well as downloading all three blueprints that will be shipped with the game in high resolution. And this is only the beginning!

The process is straightforward: you simply need to register with the same email that you use on Kickstarter. Within the hour, your profile should get the corresponding badge and gain access to the private area. VIPs (Very Insane Persons - thanks Serena!) will additionally gain access to the Beta Testers Arena.

Link: Senscape forums

If for some reason you can't use the same email, or you're already registered with another one, just send me a private message and I'll add you manually.
We hope you enjoy your stay! Needless to say, regular Kickstarter updates are also being prepared, so it's not mandatory to register in our forums to get the latest news (but highly recommended).

Game Developers Conference 2013
My socially acceptable personality will be attending GDC next week in San Francisco. If enough backers are also going, I'd be happy to arrange a meeting to give you an inside look at Asylum and its ongoing development. We could even tape the meeting and share with the rest of the backers upon my return. Let's discuss in the Kickstarter comments section, and if we can make this happen I'll announce the exact date and time slot this weekend.

Be warned, though: you'll be disappointed to hear that I won't be wearing a purple mullet.
Cheers!
-Agustín

EG

Nullified
I should into this subforum more often. This looks great.

Whisky

The Solution
I think this is the only time I've felt guilty about not donating more. The more I think about it, the more I realize that I really loved Scratches and this looks really good.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Senscape ‏@Senscape4m
We’re sorry about our silence -- many things are happening at Senscape. Today we have this lovely screenshot for you: pic.twitter.com/rHRWQbin1B

BK-QjOBCYAAhYwY.jpg:large

Senscape ‏@Senscape3m
The exterior of Hanwell was the final location we needed to complete. Night will slowly descend around you shortly after your arrival...

Senscape ‏@Senscape2m
The first moments of the game will be breathtaking, we guarantee you that. And the rest... utterly terrifying.

Senscape ‏@Senscape2m
We would like to welcome our great number of new followers. Thank you for supporting us! Kickstarter backers, stay tuned for another update.

:bounce:

A user named cat

Halloween release date, right? Really looking forward to this one, wish it'd come out sooner. Seems so far away.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Let's take a ride inside Hanwell...
Update #24 - For backers only · May 24, 2013 · comment

Ahoy there! I hope you're all fine and dandy in this lovely day (at least it's lovely over here, but maybe you're luckier and it's stormy and dark in your location).
You know our style: we tend to go under the radar and then smack you with a juicy update when you're least expecting it. Although since I've been teasing this for weeks, I guess it wasn't entirely unexpected… Anyway, here's a 20 minute long gameplay video with commentary, and it's for backers only. We hope you enjoy it! There's been solid progress on the game and it's looking better than ever. There's still work left to do, though, and I'm going to show you more of what's going on inside Hanwell soon.

As always, we love hearing from you and your feedback, so do post here or join us in the Senscape's Backers Lounge to discuss the video.
Senscape's Office Open For Business

A lot has been happening lately, and the major development is that we now have a warm and cozy place to work together. That's right, we're advancing to the next level in the cold world of evil corporations. Now, it's common for Kickstarter projects to raise funds and immediately begin outsourcing, and while that's not necessarily bad, it's not how I like to do things. Call me old fashioned but I prefer to work directly with my own team, which is the talented people I've come to know for many years. Running an office is a very demanding task but the dynamism and teamwork it allows is impossible to replicate when you outsource. It's also easier to beat employees in it.

It may not sound like a big deal but it definitely is for us. Up until now it's been a pain to coordinate a megalithic project like Asylum in the distance, but that's finally changing thanks to you. It's not only about coordinating either, but creating a working environment for the final stages of a project that will demand our undivided concentration. Indeed, we have some exciting months ahead of us.

While we're still in the process of relocating, you can check out some pictures of the place in the Backer's Lounge.

Upcoming Trip
In other news, I will be away for a few days starting this weekend. This is a personal trip that had to be postponed due to the Kickstarter campaign, so if you suddenly hear that I'm in sunny Miami Beach, I did not escape with your money.

Hope you have a great weekend, and see you soon!

:yeah:

A user named cat

"Hallooo bokkersssss!"

Looks great so far. Top notch atmosphere and details, plus a nice change from the creepy house setting. Few minor nitpicks though after watching that:

1. Your view slowly bobbing up and down while you stand still. It's just... why? Seems more annoying than anything. Hopefully can be disabled.
2. The way the camera controls and pans while looking around. Haven't played Scratches in a while but I don't remember it being like that. Seems to go either too fast or too slow.
3. Hopefully they tweak the reverb for different areas. When you're walking/talking in a room, it shouldn't sound like you're in a cathedral.

Whisky

The Solution
Aw yeah!

Yes, the panning is horrible at the moment. I really hope you can adjust that (I can't see any reason why they wouldn't allow you to) because even in the teaser demo, it was annoying. I stopped noticing the bobbing after awhile, but yes, it was annoying whenever I noticed it (Thinking about it made me notice it though, kind of like when you think about breathing or blinking).

Still, I am still pumped. One of the Kickstarter games I'm most excited for.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Finally had time to watch that all. Looks fucking great. Really fucking beautiful. And I LOVE LOVE that ambient music <3 <3

Whisky

The Solution
It is a bit awkward seeing actual people in it regularly. One thing that was great in Scratches was how you never really get to see any of your contacts, it kept you isolated in the house with nothing but a voice on the line.

The isolation worked so well that when you finally see Robin at the end, you're sufficiently scared, despite how goofy the model looks.

I also liked how Scratches was in a place that was not inherently threatening or spooky, but still made you properly paranoid.

I do like the looks of the Asylum so far though and this game is something I'm excited for. I love first person adventure games like this.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I dunno, I think old houses with many rooms are inherently spooky. I've played sooooo many games where the centrepiece is a mansion just like that, filled with antiques and pictures on the wall.

Whisky

The Solution
Oh, I can't argue with that. Personally I happened to find the mansion kind of cozy for the first two days, especially when it was raining on the second day. I might be a bit strange for that.

Though there were things that did of course, set the eerieness early on even for me, such as the paintings and the basement. The first night's dream as well.

Then Night 2 happens, and the entire house makes you feel on edge. Fuck that mask, fuck that furnace.

I would still maintain that the asylum is a lot more spooky by nature and a lot more inherently threatening.

fuzz

Liturgist
Is Last Visit really that bad? I missed it and I love the original. The idea of coming back to Blackwood estate, to check out how the map makers changed things around sounds fun.
Oh, there's also a demo version of Scratches on an ancient Myst-like engine to check out, it contains the attic area.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's pretty terrible.
And I really liked Scratches! I adore that game, really. The mood's just perfect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom