Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Asylum (from creator of Scratches)

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Yeah, Last Visit is just pointless.

Well, you're right about one thing. It is initially cool going back to Blackwood and seeing how years of petty vandalism have changed things. But the thing is just short, boring, and pretty pointless. Also, at the end, it basically explains everything, leaving no loose ends unlike Scratches, which left you wondering about a few things. Last Visits explanation happened to be mine, but I still didn't like it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't want to be that guy who ruins the party, but I was a bit disapointed, I thought that you will have full mouselook and free movement in the game. But it seems that you have to pan the view with the mouse and can't walk in every direction.

No biggie, because the atmosphere and the graphics are amazing. Still, I expected something different.

trustno1code

Prophet
I don't want to be that guy who ruins the party, but I was a bit disapointed, I thought that you will have full mouselook and free movement in the game. But it seems that you have to pan the view with the mouse and can't walk in every direction.

No biggie, because the atmosphere and the graphics are amazing. Still, I expected something different.
Well it was known from the start, the engine is node based, and there's a short playable teaser.
But you will be able to change the controls to regular mouse-look, as in 'pointer fixed in the center', Agustin is just a fan of this panning control scheme.

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

:roll:

Not excactly a huge secret you found out there.

A user named cat

It could be worse like Barrow Hill or the Dark Fall series, where you don't even get this amount of panning freedom.

People like J_C should probably stick to the Amnesia series and such. Games of this type aren't for everybody.

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Phantasmal to be fair, one did not need it in say Barrow Hill..or rather, the visual quality, flow and design of the game left one even half accustomed to the genre unmindful of it, or understanding of the reasons behind its absence..when however certain game elements are expanded to such a degree (a hasty example would be the graphics of Asylum as thus far shown to us) where similarities with other, of higher a budget, games can be made..we cannot fault the customer for making the comparison or voicing his disagreement; At least, not entirely.
Provided that is that afore mentioned customer lacks a deeper understanding of the market, and the target audience within which he may or not belong. But that is a different can of worms.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It could be worse like Barrow Hill or the Dark Fall series, where you don't even get this amount of panning freedom.

People like J_C should probably stick to the Amnesia series and such. Games of this type aren't for everybody.
I've played Scratches before you were even born, son.

A user named cat

Then why were you complaining and expecting something different from this game? YOU RUINED THE PARTY

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Latest update is up (we missed a few):

The Long And Winding Road To The Asylum...
Update #28 - For backers only · Aug 16, 2013 · 50 comments
Truth is, I wasn't planning to send this today — it's not quite ready, we spotted a few glitches, and two dialogue lines are missing. But you folks have been amazing, especially with the thorough feedback about Julia that you recently shared with us, and we figured you deserve this.

However, the deciding factor was the birthday of a very supportive backer who so nicely asked us if we were going to post the video today. So here it goes, Matthew Venner... Enjoy your gift, and happy birthday from all the Senscape team!

(actually, if today happens to be another backer's birthday, best wishes and congratulations too — we really didn't know, please don't be jealous)

Preview Of The Asylum Intro
Disclaimers: this is the full intro, yes, but like I said, there are some graphical glitches here and there. Maybe we're too obsessive and you won't notice them. The music was actually contributed by my brother Pablo Cordes — we're not sure if it's final yet, but for now we think it fits the motion and atmosphere really well.

The character next to you is Rebecca. We don't have her lines yet, so her appearance may not make much sense. First she says:

"So you are finally returning after all these years..."

And then:

"Why are you doing this?"

Hhmmm... spooky! I don't know what else to say except there are no credits, so this is quite a rare treat. It's very unusual for us to share materials in such an unfinished state, so savour this moment. I hope you fall in love with this intro because it took us many months to get right. We think it's an ominous and moody first approach to Asylum. And if you only knew what's coming next!

The video is attached below but I also uploaded a version in much higher quality, which I advise you to download here:

http://www.senscape.net/files/kickstarter/AsylumIntroPreview.mp4

Suffice to say, please don't share this!

Gamescom 2013
Those backers attending next week should let me know what's the best date to arrange the meetup. As I see it, Friday 23rd. would be the ideal day as many are arriving the weekend, shortly before the Adventure-Treff party (which I assume you are going to attend!). The meetup doesn't have to be necessarily inside the fair, though. I will bring an updated Asylum alpha and some printed posters — first come, first served!

Hoping to see you then,

-Agustín
I can't embed the video, but you can check it out here:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ickstart-the-horror/posts/572044?ref=activity

A user named cat

Awesome. That was a perfect example of a simple intro done well, can't wait to play this. They should keep that music too.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
The Codex can see this, because we can appriciate the intro. :obviously: I think what they meant is "don't share it on places which is full of popamole casual faggots".

Whisky

The Solution
I think the intro is well enough without the voices they're going to add. Just make the facial expressions on Rebecca more expressive for what she's inferring and there you go.

Unless of course the "Why are you doing this?" is extremely important to the main character's motivation.

A user named cat

I got around to trying the teaser, pretty good so far though the main VA sounds like a fat developer just reading lines. Left feedback on their forums (regarding that tedious panning) and Agustin replied pretty fast. Friendly dude. Said a new teaser will be up soon with 'view grab' in and other fixes, so he listens to fans.

Whisky

The Solution
Well, it was alright. Real short. Nothing outstanding.

Liked how it didn't play into the typical Indy game plot where you're a stalker/abusive boyfriend and that's the reveal, but it leads you into expecting that right before it's revealed that is totally wrong.

Regardless, good to see the engine in action.

Last edited:

Whisky

The Solution
Nice song. One of the only concerns I had was regarding the music, since it's not by the same group that did Scratches. But it looks like they've got a worthy successor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom