Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atari 2600

For many player (such as myself), the very first introduction to hell gaming industry. With glorious 1.19 Mhz Cpu and 128 bytes of RAM. Game are so simple and primitve, yet they have an unique charm. How do you find them today?

Most of them are unplayable crap but must admit I still play some Space Invaders clones like the Galaxian, Demon Atack, Phoenix or Communist Mutants from Space.

Other games worth mentioning are:

Berzerk

Missle Command

Kaystone Kapers

Pole Position (kick-ass visuals for such weak hardware)

And look at its cover arts, simply imressive, da real backup for the immershun

1058491094-00.jpg
:

_-Defender-Atari-2600-VCS-_.jpg
b_SpaceInvaders_Color_front.jpg

Communist-Mutants-from-Space-Boxart.jpg

Bros who has never experience Atari console hardware:

1. Get drunk
2. Download full A2600 romset
3. Play about 50 games for a few minutes each
4. Remember not to stay sober!
5. Taste diz unque 'wow i am in another dimension'-like feeling

Last edited:

Telengard

Arcane
I must admit, I have always wondered how well Adventure held up - my first console Action RPG! Not enough to actually play it, though.

Let's see. No stats. All action with a few man-size mazes and some randomization. If it had 3d graphics and 4 hours of whinging dialogue, it could be a modern RPG!

Other than Missile Command, I couldn't stand any of them when I tried a few out some years back. (Maybe I wasn't drunk enough)

Luzur

Good Sir
i still got my system in a box with a bunch of games, but i havent packed it up and played for over 10 years.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
VCS is proto-gaming at its best. It's not about the technical limitations, it's about the simplicity of the gameplay. The only thing in there is the essential stuff. It's that thing we have completely forgot how to do.

Compilation of excellent hacks / homebrews that surpasses A2600 graphics abilities - awesome!

BTW there are days in which I find any game released after that console lifespan a bloated shit.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I came in too late to enjoy the 2600 (or any Atari machine for that matter) but a friend of mine swears by River Raid to this day.

Meanwhile, in the current year, the only Atari game I've seen that interests me is Mountain King. Those bats are Codex-tier trolls.

Last edited:

Max Stats

Liturgist
ET was underrated. Not good, just not as bad as everyone seems to say. I actually played all the way through it once. There were MANY much worse games on the Atari, and I don't mean Pac-Man

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom