Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Attack of the Earthlings

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
http://teamjunkfish.com/game/attack-of-the-earthlings/

Attack of the Earthlings is a turn-based strategy game in which you play as a race of aliens fending off a deadly invasive species – humans – who have landed their massive space-drill on your house.

There is already some gameplay videos.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Has anybody played this? I was looking at the forums and I saw this post from one of the developers when somebody complained the game is too easy.

As to the difficulty, we wanted it to be a little more accessible to those outside of the strategy market. However, we appreciate the feedback, and may look into some higher difficulty modes in the future.

I'm always leery when I see a strategy game made for people who don't play strategy games. Then again, I've never seen a game where some people weren't complaining it was too easy on the forums.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/621930/discussions/0/1699416432416444810/

Kuattro

Augur
I've played it for an hour, maybe an hour and a half (I haven't even finished the first level) so it's a very first impression plus what other people have been saying of the game. And it's not a first good impression.

It feels more like a mobile puzzle game (I've just checked and it's not been released on phones, but I would bet it's in their future plans, the UI practically screams it). Premade map, premade enemies that are composed in set pieces (two workers playing in an acid pool, a worker shut in a maintenance closet, a worker and a guard having a break next to a conveniently placed vent) or following default patrol routes. So not much tactics (there's one solution to the puzzle), not much replayability, and if there are truly only seven or so maps, not a lot of game either.

The "Reverse Xcom" seems fairly exaggerated. There's certainly no base building, and you only have a permanent member on your squad, the Matriarch, that can create nameless minions (the first level only Grunts, lately you get more minion types and they can be upgraded) through consuming biomass from corpses.

Anyway, as I said, I haven't even finished the first level, maybe once you do things open up a bit more with new options for minions and upgrades and you can get into a bit more diverse situations. Will play it more and report back, I guess.

Still would say it's overpriced if there's only this many levels.

But don't take my word for it, just try it (it's already available in "trial mode" in the usual seedy sites) and you can decide for yourselves.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
It all reeks of low effort mobile game disguised as something else cause it wouldn't get enough attention on way, way too saturated mobile market so let's try Steam first. Then Google Play store in half a year. Then let's introduce microtransactions in that mobile version where xenos will run out of poisonous spit so you'll be able to purchase Mountain Dew, Cockta or bottled Hillary's sweat (all come with different elemental spit damages) for mere 1.66$ in order to restore spitting ability for poor dehydrated aliens. Then introduce those microtransactions into your Steam version, watch your ratings plummet and then return to making mobile games or washing cars of devs who make real games. Deja vu, I hope this is not.

That giant human drilldo awfully lot reminds me of the one used in Evangelion.
06-DrillBaby1.jpg

Now we can play we wuz Angels and poor, poor xenos will have to find Xinji to pilot their Xevas.
Anyway I refuse to play game where you play as xenos. I'm Emperor's faithful servant, after all.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If it were reverse XCOM, shouldn't we be leading Earth Forces, suppressing Alien resistance to subjugate their planet?

Who is suppressing and subjugating whom in your game?
My game follows a classical X-COM/JA framework where an underfunded organization medieval knightly order fights an invasion of demons and sorcerers. Actually, that might make it closer to X-COM:Apocalypse, as there will be several factions in play (at least, that is the idea, but the geoscape portion will probably change a lot until the game launches).

Norfleet

I want to see the reverse X-Com where you command the Alien forces looking to carry out their bizarre agenda on Earth, where you have to contend with the problem of being underfunded and receiving a bunch of conflicting demands from your alien superiors, constantly trying to get more funding and equipment from the Alien Empire to carry out the demands. While X-Com tries to stop you.

Beastro

Arcane
Premise seems shit.

WTF can't they also reverse it and make you be the one on the offensive too?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Premise seems shit.

WTF can't they also reverse it and make you be the one on the offensive too?
The title "Attack of the Earthlings" reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode The Invaders, where an old woman living alone in a farmhouse finds herself under assault from tiny alien invaders (wearing spacesuits), only for it to be revealed at the end that the aliens are actually astronauts from Earth and it's the woman who is a giant alien.

Invaders%2B2.jpg

Kuattro

Augur
To be fair, you are very much in the offensive in the game. There's this big ship that lands on your planet, but the evil soulless corporation is only interested in mining the shit out of it, you're the cunt insectoid queen infiltrating the ship and killing workers and guards.

There's some talk about "standard native extermination" or something like that that hints that they have no problem killing anything that moves, but technically you draw first blood (okay no, they kill one of your species when they land, by accident, and you respond Israeli style).

The impression is still not good (not necessarily bad, just not good). I expected something nice from the evolution system, something like Templar Battleforce, not at that level of course, I'm not stupid, but at least with different paths and options, but nope, it's a linear path for every unit, and if the only types of units available are the four (including the queen) displayed in that screen, with four or five (I don't remember the exact number) upgrades for each, well let's just say things are a bit underwhelming.

The only thing that I enjoy is the writing. It is quite funny, and some of those set pieces make you feel genuinely bad, like the two workers enjoying that acid pool and having fun until you show up to ruin the moment; or a worker at the beginning of the second level lamenting that, between the lock-down and everyone else forgetting that it was his birthday, it was the worst week of his life, seconds before you climb from the lower levels and start the level by dropping some head crab on his head and thralling him to get pass security checkpoints (perhaps it could be seen as my birthday present?). Maybe it's just me being sentimental.

I don't know, I really want to support this, they seem enthusiastic and capable, at least in the presentation department, but the game seems just mediocre and after seeing that upgrades screen I don't feel like playing it a lot more to see if there's something else behind it. Indie developers need a lot more than a competently albeit uninspired game to break through in a massively saturated market, I think, and this is certainly nothing more than that. The "originality" card about being the bad guys, and as usual in most of these games you might be bad (not really, you're just an irrational animal), but your rivals are not better, has been played quite a lot already, so it's really nothing new. Guess I'll come back when I have nothing better to play, which will probably be in quite some time.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Microtransactions in 2.5 sequels. Aka: facebook ruined the industry for devs (and players, but who cares).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom