Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Auction House Online: The Game (Diablo 3) is a MASSIVE decline

Nostradumbass

Scholar
^ shit videos are shit.

the only thing worse than skyway faggotry is the little bitches he spawns trying to emulate him. fucking edgy try-hard newfags.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Butthurt blizztard detected.

31vgD4r5GvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Just finished the beta and it is pretty dumbed down.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Downloading just because there's nothing else to download this weekend.

Multi-headed Cow

Seriously of all the decline and you had to pick self-ID?
What the shit is this? I already said my piece before, ID-ing an unknown item is a waste of item and should've been removed from the game.
I actually agree with this. Item identification is useless in an action RPG when there's no meaningful resource impact in doing it (Within an hour or less of playing D2 you have more than enough money to have all the ID scrolls you could want, not counting Cain's free IDing) and if there are no cursed items. Since you can't use items until they're identified and there are no cursed items, there's not really any goddamn point to it apart from a hair more busywork and inventory management.

The biggest decline that I could detect was the lack of character customization, though there is some of that. Skyway saying that each new skill you learn is better than the previous is patently false, at least for demon hunter. I found the initial alternate skill of throw dagger better than the rapid fire attack, and caltrops were more useful to me than ninja vanish or whatever the fuck it was called. The only character customization you get is the ability to slot skills to different categories and change their "Runes" which tweak them. This could lead to different character builds later in the game, but doesn't really require strategy or planning since you can adjust everything on the fly. It also means your options are extremely limited while leveling.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
PICK A SKILL BRO

But there is one skill.

SO YOU DONT LIKE CHOICE?

But there is no choice.

YOU CAN PICK IT . OR YOU DON'T.

Jesus.

YOU SMASHED BARREL +3 EXP.

ohwow.jpg

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I've been told that the skills choice in the beta used to be better, in that you could choose whatever skill for whatever slot (a la GW). But they dumbed it down.

Multi-headed Cow

You do choose whatever skill for whatever slot, it's just that you don't have multiple whatever skills available until you get some levels, and each slot (LMB, RMB, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 3 passive slots) seems to have 5 unique skills available to it, and each skill seems to have 5 runes which change the nature of the skill. So there IS a lot of room for customization, it's just not available initially.

made

Arcane
Massive decline of a series where gameplay consists of mashing LMB for hours on end... lol. But then a chunk of the Codex considers D2 to be one of the greatest RPGs of all time, so what do I know.

Will play through once for the story, if/when it's cracked some day.

joeydohn

Savant
You can also turn off super hand-holding mode in the options somewhere so each slot isn't locked to a specific type of spell. Groping Zombies+Poison Dart rocked for the Skeleton King.

Nattvardsvin

Learned
What's with the achievements? Who the fuck cares about random achievements. They are just annoyances when they pop up at the screen like big glowing shitboxes.
And the graphic style is really bland and boring. It doesn't look especially sinister or interesting, and the models look like crap imo.
And the music so far sounds like versions from the other Diablo titles, but made much worse.

Multi-headed Cow

You can also turn off super hand-holding mode in the options somewhere so each slot isn't locked to a specific type of spell. Groping Zombies+Poison Dart rocked for the Skeleton King.
Oh shit, really? I thought each button was locked to a certain category of skill. Guess that frees up your options a bit more. Didn't notice that.

LizardKing

Scholar
I already knew this ain't gonna be a good one, but it was way worse than I expected.
Atmosphere was bland, no stat allocation, no skilltree, annoying pop-ups ("You destroyed 7 barrels, yeah!").
They dumbed down D3 so much that I actually felt stupid while playing it.

joeydohn

Savant
What's with the achievements? Who the fuck cares about random achievements. They are just annoyances when they pop up at the screen like big glowing shitboxes.

Pretty much every game has them now, sadly. I guess it feeds the instant gratification mentality or something.

Oh shit, really? I thought each button was locked to a certain category of skill. Guess that frees up your options a bit more. Didn't notice that.

http://imgur.com/bAN7j

I was a bit worried when they grouped up all the abilities on the calculator and thought they forgot to make the groups fixed but nope you're really allowed a build like this http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#YTRXPZ :)

kingcomrade22

Educated
How can you decline from Diablo 2? Diablo 2 was bad as well. Lawn mowing simulator. People are talking about massive decline like the series hasn't been bad since the first expansion of the first game.
What's hilarious is that even though he's right that D3 sucks, his reasoning is completely retarded. That's classic skyway. I especially like how he complains about the lack of difficulty as if Diablo 2 had any difficulty. The only thing I've ever died to ever in all the time I played Diablo 2, back when I had skyway level taste, was 1-2 second instagibs from stuff I didn't resist enough.
He complains about the skill tree, as if it's really that different from picking one of the three or four optimal builds from a guide online and doing that, like EVERYONE did in Diablo 2. Don't bullshit me about this experimental build you did that was really awesome, I know you're lying.

One thing that bothers me about the game is that despite looking like a game that came out a decade ago, it runs pretty poorly.

What did you guys really expect? Go back and play Diablo 2 without nostalgia and it's a pretty boring game. Diablo 3 isn't a big deviation, it's just more honest about its mechanics.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

Pretty much every game has them now, sadly. I guess it feeds the instant gratification mentality or something.

http://imgur.com/bAN7j

I was a bit worried when they grouped up all the abilities on the calculator and thought they forgot to make the groups fixed but nope you're really allowed a build like this http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#YTRXPZ :)
Ah, derp, I actually clicked that option but forgot that you could switch pages in the skill choice menu. That being said... Why not just have all the skills on one page if you have "Elective Mode" on instead of this Skyrim-like faggotry of switching pages and pages and shit.

joeydohn

Savant
Ah, derp, I actually clicked that option but forgot that you could switch pages in the skill choice menu. That being said... Why not just have all the skills on one page if you have "Elective Mode" on instead of this Skyrim-like faggotry of switching pages and pages and shit.

Can't fit all the Duplo sized icons on one page? They used to be grouped different, by according to spell school or rage generator/rage consumer/ultimate.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Meh. Game was actually more fun than I anticipated, and the lack of stats didn't really make it any worse.

It's merely fun, but certainly no day 1 purchase, especially not at that Joo price.

Gonna wait for a price drop. Oh wait, Bobby does not make price drops, so never then.

Terpsichore

Arcane
Its like the decline now has its own setting and genre, pretty much everything about the game made me wonder why the fuck i am even playing it.

I tried to be rational and bring up valid points but i simply couldn't, there's nothing worth redeeming and nothing that's worth arguing about, its dull, bland, boring, pointless, annoying and aggravating.

My inner skyway wants out.

BANAL SHIT BORING

waywardOne

Arcane
Go back and play Diablo 2 without nostalgia and it's a pretty boring game. Diablo 3 isn't a big deviation, it's just more honest about its mechanics.

I tried this a few months ago to get my reflexes back in order, but it bored the fuck out of me. Also, I don't get high anymore and that was a big component of enjoying D2.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Meh. Game was actually more fun than I anticipated, and the lack of stats didn't really make it any worse.

It's merely fun, but certainly no day 1 purchase, especially not at that Joo price.

Gonna wait for a price drop. Oh wait, Bobby does not make price drops, so never then.
What do you mean? Idk how is it abroad, but in Poland SC2's price at release date was 159 PLN. Now it's 99 PLN. It dropped quite fast for Blizzard's game, for comparison Diablo II/Starcraft/Warcraft III prices dropped only after many years ( remember Diablo II's price was still as high in 2004 as during release date).

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Either Skyway never played d2 or he just played SP and didn't play the MP for a long time.

- no stats

no stats i presume you mean that you cannot give stats on level up. I explained in previous threads that there is no real point in stats to a game like diablo, because it is mainly meant for MP and players use the same stat build to get the max out of the char, so why bother with stat leveling anyway? Just so you can press a button?

If you mean 'no stats' in general..... press I and open up the stats list, there are even more stats than in diablo 2. You can even toggle floating damage in options.

- skills unlock linearly as you go - no skill tree, each new one is better

Same argument as before, everyone used same char builds , 'hammerdin' , 'orb sorc' etc etc.

Each skill is not better, if you cared to played to lvl 6 you would know there are 'rune' upgrades which powerup your lower skills, so lvl 1 magic missile does more damage than higher lvl skill.

All in all it gives more customization than diablo 2 , because in diablo 2 when you'd hit lvl 80+ everyone would end up with same skill build character. Now thanks to that, you don't have to make a new char to try different build, but you can just customize your char on the fly. If you could think Skyway you would know that instead of sprouting bullshit.

health regen is ridiculous, no need for potions, picking up a health vial heals all party - thus the game is too easy

When 20 + mobs attack you at once i had to use potions. Don't forget it's act 1 on normal for crying out loud.

-
levels are linear, they open as you go through a linear quest-line

rofl, are you playing diablo or something else?

- 4 players in a party MAX

who cares? bs argument

-
only 5 classes

same as before

-
you can ID your own items

good , i was bored of having 100000 id scrolls
you can teleport to other players right away, no more pissing your pants running through enemy territory to your bros

Bruticis

In diablo ? what the fuck are you talking about.

Skyway's right, enemies are laughable

Comedy at its finest, go and fuckin play diablo 1 and 2 in 1st act 1st chapel.

I'm all for stats on leveing in a SP game, but in a game like diablo 2 and 3 IT DOES NOT WORK, because they serve no purpose, if you fuck you up your stats, you fuck up your character and end up having worse character

Massive decline of a series where gameplay consists of mashing LMB for hours on end... lol.

Are you a fucking idiot ? That's what diablo has always been. Yes you are a fucking idiot.

ITT idiots and retards try hard to earn KKK without even thinking about what shit they are shitting out of their shitholes.

and fuck you.

joeydohn

Savant
That last quote was saying that the decline isn't really applicable to a clicking simulator.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom