Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Auction House Online: The Game (Diablo 3) is a MASSIVE decline

Finished the beta demo in about 2h. Keeled Skeleton King with a level 8 barbarian with 4-5 empty equipment slots. Got two yellow drops from him. OMG. Someone buy these? 5$.

Does what it says on the tin. Click, click, click, click. Banal shit boring. If you like it. Great. You like action arcade shit. If you don't like it. Great. You don't like action arcade shit.

I'm sure the Korean population will take a substantial hit after release.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
If you can pretend there are stats in D3 you can pretend there are stats in any game.

THERE ARE NO STATS IN D3, LISTEN TO SKYWAY INFIDELS, SKYWAY WILL TAKE YOU TO THE PROMISED LAND.

SFj0X.png

Captain Shrek

If you can pretend there are stats in D3 you can pretend there are stats in any game.

THERE ARE NO STATS IN D3, LISTEN TO SKYWAY INFIDELS, SKYWAY WILL TAKE YOU TO THE PROMISED LAND.

SFj0X.png
dude there seems to bevsome problem in the iq. he is clearly commenting about the fucking LA C k of stats THAt CAN be CHANGEd manually.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Soldiers in OFP have numbers for accuracy, aiming speed, aiming shake, morale, commanding talent, spotting time etc. that can (and are) set for each soldier differently - so that means it has a stat system :M

DDO is a game clearly with a focus on MP (because it's an MMO) - it plays much better than Diablo 3, has better quests and chars can be unique. And it has a shitton of stats and skills and feats you can customize to create a char that you will play with - in a non-linear world where quests are not scaled to the level you will inevitably have when you reach them. Combat is the same as in Diablo - kill everything.

So did you get that warm and cozy feeling for defending D3 for dumbing down stuff further instead of making stats work well to let players create unique chars? Well done, bro.

"If you fuck up your character you end up having worse character" - really?! No shit.

Nattvardsvin

Learned
I've heard that if you're a wizard and equip a physical weapon, like a club or something, it increases your spelldamage.
Don't know if this is true or not. Anyone checked?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
You needed to. To have some kind of good accuracy, you needed high dex. If you want block, you need dex. If you want hard hitting damage, you went STR. If you want to survive hits, you need VIT.
All of these are stat customizations that enable some unique builds as well as skills to be unique and kept the game fresh. If you went for high accuracy you traded early STR for DEX points. That STR could've meant equipping an early rare armor that needed X amount of STR. Maybe you found some charms or rings to boost STR that meet that requirement? I don't know. It's quite random, that makes it somewhat interesting for multiple runs. But now? There's almost no reason in having two of the same characters since your stats and skill picks remain the same, right?

If you say all this doesn't matter, great, the game works fine. But I don't feel like it's a good removal. It takes away customization.

This system is basically World of Warcraft, except Level requirements is now the sole factor that determines whether you can wear it or not (correct me if I am wrong, I'm still downloading the game.)

MetalCraze

Arcane
The fun is in ridiculous health regen then that lets you defeat any amount of enemies?
Or is the fun in grinding the boss which will never kill you because you heal faster than he hits - but has a shitton of HP so it's like MMO raid?
Or is the fun in that Diablo 3 is a pre-set linear corridor in a nutshell?
Is the fun in that it plays like an action game for housewives where the only thing you can influence is how your character is dressed up?
Or the fun is in the lack of skilltree? Because in D2 at least 2 viable builds per class were possible. Here it's just like in some shitty shooter where you get a rocket launcher right when it's time to shoot down the chopper-boss.

The lack of stat system is but one of the problems with D3.

D2 also didn't have issues I mentioned above. So which point of the series did I miss?

Gord

Arcane
Same argument as before, everyone used same char builds , 'hammerdin' , 'orb sorc' etc etc.

I'm all for stats on leveing in a SP game, but in a game like diablo 2 and 3 IT DOES NOT WORK, because they serve no purpose, if you fuck you up your stats, you fuck up your character and end up having worse character

This is just bad argumentation.
Just because every min-maxing "hardcore"-player played the same 3 characters over and over after he had watched an Youtube vid that told him he had to do so, doesn't mean that everyone is doing it.
At most it means that the devs should probably get their fucking system sorted out. Of course, that would probably require them to have the talent to do so...
But yeah, the whole "if it's broke, remove it" thing, instead of fixing it is really in fashion right now.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Gotta love all the Blizzard apologists that roam in these forums and their retarded arguments.

Hurr Durr, press C to see a static numbers stats window, nobody has more than 3 friends, everybody made the same character...

MetalCraze

Arcane
If you can't read the word "we" he did. What an excuse. But I like the one with "if you will fuck up your char he will be worse" more. It's like I'm reading YouTube comments.

Saying that when we played D2 years ago with Dex bros some guys had to wait for free slots because 8 weren't enough. And my brolist in D3 got full party in first 3 mins.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
The exciting story of Diablo 3 development:

1. In Diablo 2, players would only pump stats up to a certain cutoff point, determined by gear requirements or block/dodge caps, and put the rest of their points into Vitality, since none of the other stats offered a major enough benefit.

The Average Player: Well, they should rebalance stat importance for Diablo 3, so that they make a noticable difference at higher levels, perhaps even award more points later on. Ideally, the player should have to choose between damage and survivability by making stat allocation choices.

Blizzard: Just remove stat allocation altogether.

Syril: Excellent decision, Blizzard! You guys are so smart!

2. In Diablo 2, even though the skill trees seemingly allowed for a lot of different builds, players focused on MP would still use one of the few optimal ones.

The Average Player: Well, why is that bad? Everyone gets to do what they want to do, a casual SP player can win with random crap, while the hardcore MPer can have fun figuring out what the optimal build is. And with a good skill-tree, we will undoubtedly see builds the designers hadn't anticipated. It would be best if they took the ideas developed while patching D2 (like synergies) and improved upon them further.

Blizzard: Remove skill trees, too complicated for our new target audience.

Syril: Totally agreed, Blizzard. I know you will design the new system so that it allows for even more choices than the one in D2.

3. Always online, even for single player.

The Average Player: Why do I need to suffer the typical online annoyances - like lag and disconnects - if I only want to play single player?

Blizzard: This way you don't need to distinguish between SP and MP characters. And believe us, our new Battle.Net service is so good, you'll never want to be offline!

Syril: (Difficult to talk with a cock in mouth)

Don't worry Syril, my friend, I only used you as a stand-in for Blizzard fans so my work could resonate with the Codex audience better.

DakaSha

Arcane
I love the people arguing in favor of no customization because "In diablo 2 everybody did the same optimal build anyways" as if it was not an option to create a balanced and fun system instead of dumbing it down to shit

DakaSha

Arcane

SFj0X.png

I'm pretty sure his point was that there are no stats if every retard has the same ones. Thats like saying the doom space marine has stats because he has HP, Speed etc.

Variables != Stats

Teepo

Scholar
Game is mind numbingly shallow. I feel like I'm playing League of Legends teh RPG or something. It makes Diablo 2 seem like an ocean of complexity.

If you just contrast the tactics of Witch Doctor and D2's Necromancer it makes you wonder if this is a sequel or just a degeneration of the series.

Teepo

Scholar
I've heard that if you're a wizard and equip a physical weapon, like a club or something, it increases your spelldamage.
Don't know if this is true or not. Anyone checked?
Well, for Witch doctor I think your summons are a percentage (like 40%) of your weapon damage so it is imperative that you equip the best weapon you can find even though you're not allowed to strike anyone with it. Think I saw the same thing for Wizard.

Just go to the Diablo 3 website and look at the class skills. It will say.

bonescraper

The exciting story of Diablo 3 development:

1. In Diablo 2, players would only pump stats up to a certain cutoff point, determined by gear requirements or block/dodge caps, and put the rest of their points into Vitality, since none of the other stats offered a major enough benefit.

The Average Player: Well, they should rebalance stat importance for Diablo 3, so that they make a noticable difference at higher levels, perhaps even award more points later on. Ideally, the player should have to choose between damage and survivability by making stat allocation choices.

Blizzard: Just remove stat allocation altogether.

Syril: Excellent decision, Blizzard! You guys are so smart!

2. In Diablo 2, even though the skill trees seemingly allowed for a lot of different builds, players focused on MP would still use one of the few optimal ones.

The Average Player: Well, why is that bad? Everyone gets to do what they want to do, a casual SP player can win with random crap, while the hardcore MPer can have fun figuring out what the optimal build is. And with a good skill-tree, we will undoubtedly see builds the designers hadn't anticipated. It would be best if they took the ideas developed while patching D2 (like synergies) and improved upon them further.

Blizzard: Remove skill trees, too complicated for our new target audience.

Syril: Totally agreed, Blizzard. I know you will design the new system so that it allows for even more choices than the one in D2.

3. Always online, even for single player.

The Average Player: Why do I need to suffer the typical online annoyances - like lag and disconnects - if I only want to play single player?

Blizzard: This way you don't need to distinguish between SP and MP characters. And believe us, our new Battle.Net service is so good, you'll never want to be offline!

Syril: (Difficult to talk with a cock in mouth)

Don't worry Syril, my friend, I only used you as a stand-in for Blizzard fans so my work could resonate with the Codex audience better.
Fucking THIS.

/thread

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom