Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Auction House Online: The Game (Diablo 3) is a MASSIVE decline

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Hate to break the hatin' mood here gentlemen, but after some more thorough playing, I came to the conclusion that Diablo 3 is the best Diablo clone since Diablo 2.

Pre-Ordered.

Don't know how you came to this conclusion. What exactly is so awesome about it if I may ask? I really can't see it.
All I see is a game that completely lacks soul and feels like a software for getting loot.

Also Syril is a gigantic retarded moron. More dumb shit kids jumping on the "hating Skyway is so kewl and KKK" bandwagon.

Mortmal

Arcane
DDO is a game clearly with a focus on MP (because it's an MMO) - it plays much better than Diablo 3, has better quests and chars can be unique. And it has a shitton of stats and skills and feats you can customize to create a char that you will play with - in a non-linear world where quests are not scaled to the level you will inevitably have when you reach them. Combat is the same as in Diablo - kill everything.

Wow! Wait there! You said something positive about a game , thats twice i caught you doing that this year. You are getting too soft. And praising a morpg , the genre supposedly the pinnacle of decline no less.

dextermorgan

Arcane
I don't understand people getting upset over a goddamn hack and slash game. Is this still the codex? Are there really that many hard-core d2 fans around here?

Oesophagus

Arcane
Haven't really been paying attention to D3, but if there's no manual stat distrbution and no skill trees, then D3 can go fuck itself. It's basically saying "You're too stupid to be able to make your own level ups, here, let me do it for you. Oh, and I've already decided what skills you'll be using at what level. Don't mention it". Well, fuck you, I won't be talked to in that tone of voice.

The best thing about D2 was being able to figure out character builds. Sure, now you can just look up the best ones on the interwebs, but when it came out it was about experimentation. I remember having three different sorceress builds, and even though two of them were specced in cold, they required very different playstyles. And most importantly, there was the possibility that you fucked up your build

Oh, and single player DRM. GG, Blizz

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
For the record, I'm fine with people liking D3's gameplay and buying it. Simple things can be fun too, if executed well. However, the game is very clearly dumbed down in relation to D2, and claiming otherwise firmly cements the person as a delusional Blizzard fanboy. And on a purely mechanical level, I don't think turning D3 into WoW is a very clever idea. People play WoW and Diablo for significantly different reasons. WoW is so successful because it's essentially a huge chatroom with a levelling minigame in the background, it doesn't have 10 million subscribers because the character system or the combat model are especially good. And with the new Battle.Net being such a shitheap of consoletard design, I wouldn't be surprised if D3 goes the way of SC2, which has seriously declined in terms of activity since launch.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
Soldiers in OFP have numbers for accuracy, aiming speed, aiming shake, morale, commanding talent, spotting time etc. that can (and are) set for each soldier differently - so that means it has a stat system :M

:ohwow.jpg: Seems you mixed up the genres a little there didn't you, even if this is true do you aim manualy with your sword in diablo ? didin't think so.

'Sperg away.

So did you get that warm and cozy feeling for defending D3 for dumbing down stuff further instead of making stats work well to let players create unique chars? Well done, bro.

Sometimes less is more and fixing = removing, didn't you think of that ever ?

I've heard that if you're a wizard and equip a physical weapon, like a club or something, it increases your spelldamage.
Don't know if this is true or not. Anyone checked?

True.

You needed to. To have some kind of good accuracy, you needed high dex. If you want block, you need dex. If you want hard hitting damage, you went STR. If you want to survive hits, you need VIT.

and you still can do that by having different gear.

The fun is in ridiculous health regen then that lets you defeat any amount of enemies?

Health regen is only out of combat and incombat you will never regen enough to survive if shit goes wrong.

Or is the fun in grinding the boss which will never kill you because you heal faster than he hits - but has a shitton of HP so it's like MMO raid?

:lol: Guess you didn't even play to the Skeleton King, pick a Barbarian and go vs him and we will see how you will fare, only after this you can talk about 'health regen'.

Or is the fun in that Diablo 3 is a pre-set linear corridor in a nutshell?

Main scripted locations are present in diablo 1 and 2 also, how many times it needs to be said that the random locations are only the ones that are unimportant with trash mobs for exp ?

Is the fun in that it plays like an action game for housewives where the only thing you can influence is how your character is dressed up?

logical fallacy 101, you influence your character build by having different gear.

Just because every min-maxing "hardcore"-player played the same 3 characters over and over after he had watched an Youtube vid that told him he had to do so, doesn't mean that everyone is doing it.

I played diablo 2 online for some 3 years and i NEVER met a 80+ high character who would NOT have a well known internet build.

Gotta love all the Blizzard apologists that roam in these forums and their retarded arguments.

So i'm an blizz apologist because i don't herp derp around saying that TF 2 has a stat build ? rofl

cowboy moment

so edgy

s if it was not an option to create a balanced and fun system instead of dumbing it down to shit

rofl diablo 1 had no skills at all, what do you call diablo 1 then? dumbed dumbed down shit ?

Diablo 3 is good for what it was created to be, a gear hoarding PVP arena comptetive play (when they release it in patch). DEAL WITH IT.

and blizzard is a good company that cares for their product and people, blizz did not went popamole like bio or beth.

Fun game. Will play again.

:thumbsup:

However, the game is very clearly dumbed down in relation to D2, and claiming otherwise firmly cements the person as a delusional Blizzard fanboy

If d3 is dumbed down then d1 did not exist at all by your logic.

D2 wasn't exactly complex. Does saying that make me a Blizzard fanboy?

No it makes you a codex apologist r00flez.

Teepo

Scholar
All in all it gives more customization than diablo 2 , because in diablo 2 when you'd hit lvl 80+ everyone would end up with same skill build character. Now thanks to that, you don't have to make a new char to try different build, but you can just customize your char on the fly. If you could think Skyway you would know that instead of sprouting bullshit.

Makes sense.

I think he's still in high school. But nevermind that.

Skyway, if you could actually think you would actually know, you motherfuckin dumbass mothafucka.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
D2 wasn't exactly complex. Does saying that make me a Blizzard fanboy?

It certainly was more than D3.
So, your point it what exactly? That if D2 wasn't very complex then D3 can do away with any resemblance of complexity it had?
Hey, I know, Fallout 2 wasn't exactly serious so Fallout 3 can be a circus show.

This is why we can't have nice things. The Codex cries about dumbing down, but when there's dumbing down they just praise the developers for "streamlining" just like any other retard out there.

dextermorgan

Arcane
It certainly was more than D3.
So, your point it what exactly? That if D2 wasn't very complex then D3 can do away with any resemblance of complexity it had?
Hey, I know, Fallout 2 wasn't exactly serious so Fallout 3 can be a circus show.

This is why we can't have nice things. The Codex cries about dumbing down, but when there's dumbing down they just praise the developers for "streamlining" just like any other retard out there.
Actually, it's called perspective. There can be no MASSIVE decline when there wasn't actual incline to begin with. Diablo 2 is a casual popamole game. Diablo 3 appears to be a casual popamole game.

Why are your panties in a twist?

CrazyLoon

Prophet
The exciting story of Diablo 3 development:

1. In Diablo 2, players would only pump stats up to a certain cutoff point, determined by gear requirements or block/dodge caps, and put the rest of their points into Vitality, since none of the other stats offered a major enough benefit.

The Average Player: Well, they should rebalance stat importance for Diablo 3, so that they make a noticable difference at higher levels, perhaps even award more points later on. Ideally, the player should have to choose between damage and survivability by making stat allocation choices.

Blizzard: Just remove stat allocation altogether.

Syril: Excellent decision, Blizzard! You guys are so smart!

2. In Diablo 2, even though the skill trees seemingly allowed for a lot of different builds, players focused on MP would still use one of the few optimal ones.

The Average Player: Well, why is that bad? Everyone gets to do what they want to do, a casual SP player can win with random crap, while the hardcore MPer can have fun figuring out what the optimal build is. And with a good skill-tree, we will undoubtedly see builds the designers hadn't anticipated. It would be best if they took the ideas developed while patching D2 (like synergies) and improved upon them further.

Blizzard: Remove skill trees, too complicated for our new target audience.

Syril: Totally agreed, Blizzard. I know you will design the new system so that it allows for even more choices than the one in D2.

3. Always online, even for single player.

The Average Player: Why do I need to suffer the typical online annoyances - like lag and disconnects - if I only want to play single player?

Blizzard: This way you don't need to distinguish between SP and MP characters. And believe us, our new Battle.Net service is so good, you'll never want to be offline!

Syril: (Difficult to talk with a cock in mouth)

Don't worry Syril, my friend, I only used you as a stand-in for Blizzard fans so my work could resonate with the Codex audience better.
:hero:

dextermorgan

Arcane
Because standards are decaying rapidly.
What standards has D2 set that D3 is decaying? I've sunk countless hours in both D1 and D2 (many more in D2 actually, and I've replayed that one recently as well), and I fail to see how what's being said about D3 (haven't played) is a HUGE MASSIVE DECLINE over the first two.

You could assign stat points yourself before? Yeah, I loved the freedom it gave me to pump STR to meet armor/weapon reqs and DEX for attack rating and dump everything else into VIT or reach Hell difficulty and be one-shotted by random mobs if I did anything else.

Hoarding skill points until you were high enough level to be able to put them in relevant skills was also great. Synergies sort of helped with that but still.

EDIT:
If there's a single most decline aspect of D3 is the always online single player bullshit, but that's the aspect least raged about. Go figure.

Teepo

Scholar
If d3 is dumbed down than d1 did not exist at all by your logic.

Sequels by definition are supposed to be better, more than their formers. It makes no sense that Diablo 3 as apposed to building on the content of Diablo 2 instead reverts to the standards of 15 years ago.

For God's sake we're getting less content than Diablo 2. And Diablo 3 is a sequel to Diablo 2. It's a regression not a progression. Diablo 2 had 5 classes and at least 2 ways to build each class. And that was 10 years ago.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I never liked D2. I never even finished it (and I own it). And I;m not into multiplayer either. I still like and play the first Diablo. It's pure basic simple fun.

I will more than likely pass on this as well. Seems moar like DiWOWblo.

The Public Enemy

Educated
How did this generate 6 pages already? You faggots really enjoy playing by the local runt's rules, don't you?

Anyway, I kind of agree with him, not because of his points - if anything, D3 might be a gameplay incline over D2, because it'll be more than just a single-skill spam - but because I can't get excited about it. I don't understand the hype surrounding the game at all, which is mostly just generated by bandwagon mentality. You have to give points to the Codex for getting over that.

This game will do nothing new at all, it looks entirely like a soulless item grind. The worst thing to me is simply the classes. None of them look interesting, except the ol' Barb I suppose. I mean, Witch Doctor? What does tribal imagery has to do with a christian gothic atmosphere? Yeah, I'm racist. I'm also a homophobe apparently, because the Wiz and the DH look like faggots. I'm sure you gents enjoy those worldly attributes, so there you go. And the monk? Okay, but where's my damn paladin? I'm sure a lot of people think these things I've said too

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Hate to break the hatin' mood here gentlemen, but after some more thorough playing, I came to the conclusion that Diablo 3 is the best Diablo clone since Diablo 2.

Pre-Ordered.

Don't know how you came to this conclusion. What exactly is so awesome about it if I may ask? I really can't see it.
All I see is a game that completely lacks soul and feels like a software for getting loot.

Why the fuck do people even care when I make some random remark?

Lacking soul? No, no... You can shit on Diablo 3 and critisize other aspects all you want, but lack of soul is not it's problem. The Diablo atmo is there, that is it feels like an addiction engine. Normally I get bored by banal shit click-fests within minutes, but D3 actually makes you want to play more the deeper you get into it. Unlike Torchlight, which I played ~30 min, then quit, for good.

Mission accomplished Blizzard.

DakaSha

Arcane
s if it was not an option to create a balanced and fun system instead of dumbing it down to shit

rofl diablo 1 had no skills at all, what do you call diablo 1 then? dumbed dumbed down shit ?

Actually I call it the first in the series... If you can't grasp why that is relevant I can't help you.

But I'll humor you anyways: Yes. It was incredibly simplistic and it is overrated as far as "RPG"'s go.
However tt was incredibly atmospheric and most of all something NEW.
Diablo 3 isn't any of that and just shits on the things that made Diablo 2 a decent game ("For-what-it-is" TM)

DEAL WITH IT.

lolololoooooooooooolololol

and blizzard is a good company that cares for their product and people, blizz did not went popamole like bio or beth.

looooooooolololloolololololol

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom