Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Autoduel trademarked by inXile - sued by Steve Jackson Games, trademark cancelled

I have found this :
16kcc4l.jpg

Source: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=86702458&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

So now we know what Fargo is up to and why is he opening the new studio. But maybe those are his plans for more far away future, who knows?

PS: It's my second time doing this http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-and-also-van-buren.95740/page-3#post-3633273
Praise my stalking skills!

Weasel
Hmmm. Don't think I ever played this back in the day:

Autoduel is a 1985 role-playing video game published by Origin Systems for the Atari 400 and 800, Commodore 64, Apple II, Apple Macintosh, and MS-DOS. It was released in 1987 for the Atari ST and in 1988 for the Amiga.
Developer: Origin Systems

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Origin game was designed by Chuck Bueche, aka Chuckles the Jester from Ultima. It's based on a Steve Jackson Games tabletop property. I hope Steve is okay with the ultra-violence this time around.

Last edited:

likaq

Arcane
The game is set in a hypothetical future in the Northeast U.S., where cars are a primary means of protection and defense, and the highways are dangerous stretches of land ruled by gangs and vigilantes with armed vehicles.

The player creates a character, naming them and distributing 50 points between three skills: driving, marksmanship and mechanic. The player's character starts in New York, Friday 1-1-2030. Without a car the player has to enter amateur night in which they are provided a vehicle in order to raise enough money to buy and equip their own vehicle. With their own vehicle, a character can begin performing courier missions between the various towns along the Atlantic seaboard—including Syracuse, Boston, Manchester(Origin's headquarters at the time, which could be visited in the game) and Atlantic City among a few. The character may also enter more distinguished Arena events to earn money as well as take to the highways to fight the other cars and salvage their parts. In this sense, the game was very open-ended in what the player could do. The game also had a storyline, involving certain critical courier tasks, such as carrying important criminal evidence against "Mr. Big", through the dangerous terrain between cities.

The main feature of the game was combat involving customized vehicles. The vehicle construction portion of the game allowed a variety of power plants, guns, ammunition, mine-layers, smokescreens, oil slicks and rockets to be arranged onto an even larger selection of body and chassis types.

The game was developed using a top-down perspective and featured two distinct setting areas: the arena or highway style area and the city area. The highway and arenas allowed acceleration and driving skills to be used in a scrolling screen format, while the city area was a single screen in which stores and other attractions of a city could be visited.

Could be very cool.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there a Codex retro review?

Nope. It's a rather obscure game, like pretty much all Origin games that didn't have the words "Ultima" or "Wing Commander" in their titles (inb4 pissed off Crusader fans)

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
I've known people to shittalk the tabletop game. didn't know there was an adaptation.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

THE PLOT THICKENS: http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/16/david-jaffe-consulting-on-autoduel-multiplayer-car-combat-game/

David Jaffe consulting on Autoduel, multiplayer car combat game coming to Kickstarter

Noted Twisted Metal and God of War designer David Jaffe has signed on with Pixelbionic, a new independent games studio formed in southern California late last year. Jaffe will take a creative advisory role to aid in Pixelbionic's first game, Autoduel – an online vehicular combat game for the PC that will seek funding on Kickstarter sometime soon.

On the advisory board, Jaffe is joined by Zack Norman, the creator of Interstate '76, and Chanel Summers, a sound expert who helped design the audio systems of the Xbox hardware. There isn't much detail in the press release past the break about Autoduelitself, other than it's a team-based affair set in the post-apocalypse (of course) with "RPG-influenced persistence and progression gameplay."

Pixelbionic was founded by Maxx Kaufman – a founding member of inXile Entertainment with a long list of games to his name such as The Bard's Tale, Return to Castle Wolfensteinand the Redneck Rampage series – and Mike Arkin, who served as producer for many studios, including a stint at Fox Interactive where he helped on Die Hard Trilogy, ID4 andAliens vs. Predator.

Is Jaffe going to be involved with this? Is this going to be an attempt to relaunch that game or a completely different thing using the same title?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom