Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Avadon 3: The Warborn

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's at 40-something that most great artists snap and start creating weird shit that would form their masterpieces, so him being old is not an excuse :p

Is it me or is this game way better than Avadon 1 and 2? I quit both within an hour or two, and the intro to this one is also bad, but it's got some real hooks in the story. Just 4 hours in and I thought this is probably a great game.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The Watch has a review up:

We were provided with access to Avadon 3, prior to it being launched and gave it to Forgottenlor, who dived into the game to come back with a detailed analysis of the game.

Best part of the Avadon series - great story, many side quests, secrets and crafting, memorable characters and NPCs, challenging tactical combat - this RPG never gets boring!

Seems like Vogel prefers the Watch nowadays, but it's hardly surprising.

gaussgunner

Arcane
The Watch has a review up:

We were provided with access to Avadon 3, prior to it being launched and gave it to Forgottenlor, who dived into the game to come back with a detailed analysis of the game.

Best part of the Avadon series - great story, many side quests, secrets and crafting, memorable characters and NPCs, challenging tactical combat - this RPG never gets boring!

Seems like Vogel prefers the Watch nowadays, but it's hardly surprising.

They have strange notions of "incline" over there.....

Avadon: The Corruption was an improvement over Avadon: The Black Fortress in a number of ways. First you got a new class, the tinker mage. Secondly all classes were now playable as either gender

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Upon reflection, I went and bought Avadon 3. I generally like Spiderweb and want Vogel to do well, and Avadon 1 was decent enough that I actually finished it. I remember enjoying Avadon 2, as well, until the corruption trashmobs and HP bloat ruined the game.

So far, so good. I played up until the point where you meet Redbeard. I never finished Avadon 2, but if you've played Avadon 1 to completion then you'll know enough about the lore to get by without trouble. This game definitely doesn't lay out the foundation for the story as well as any of the Geneforges, so you do need to read up a little if you're not familiar with Avadon.

Still has the dumb, 3-man party mechanics with lame and rigid character types. Yet, little differences make it more fun than the first two. If you play on Hard difficulty, the friendly fire makes things a lot more interesting. Health and vitality both regenerate quickly out of combat. I'm kind of pissed that the summoning item I bought (ogre statue) disappeared after one use, but whatever. There's a good number of consumables, but honestly the combat has been pretty easy so far; I'm playing on hard difficulty with a Blademaster, Shadowwalker, and Sorceress.

There seems to be a number of meaningful, faction-related decisions. Reminds me of Geneforge, but let's see how it plays out. The general story itself was slow to get going, but now that I've met Redbeard I'm very interested.

One little annoying detail is that I have to change my desktop resolution settings in order to affect the game's resolution. If Avadon is refusing to cooperate, just lower the desktop resolution and voila, no need to squint anymore. This is not unique to Avadon, I've had the same issue with other Spiderweb titles.

If you completed Avadon 1, or at least enjoyed it to some extent, then I'd say go ahead and buy this game. It improves upon the original, and right now I'm into the story.

Last edited:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I wonder how well this sold? I remember checking steamspy (or whatever that site is) a week after the release of Avernum 2 and it had sold 10,000 copies. It's been over a week since Avadon 3 was released, though, and steamspy has it at 1,500. Which is abysmal, if true (don't know how accurate that site is for smaller games). I usually hang out at the Spiderweb forums too on the release of new games and there's been very little activity there in the Avadon forums, comparable to other SW releases. It's weird.

It seems like apart from the fluke event of Avadon 1, Avadon might actually be the least popular SW series after all.

Last edited:

Mustawd

Indiepocalypse is upon us.

Also, didn't he jack up his prices?

gaussgunner

Arcane
Yep. http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/jeff-vogel-soapbox-thread.91814/page-6#post-3481641

Still, his Steamspy sales figures don't look bad. 200k copies of Avadon 1 ($10), 60k Avadon 2 ($10), 80k Crystal Souls ($20).
I think most of those Avadon 1 sales were about $2 from sales and bundles, but he probably averaged at least $10 for Crystal Souls, so that's at least $500k (after Steam's 30% cut) over the last 2 years. Not bad at all.

Which means he can afford to take some risks now.

Mustawd

Avadon also came out at the right time for the market. It's become a lot more saturated now.

gaussgunner

Arcane
I wonder how many people besides me were only willing to spend $20 for his newer games because we got Avadon for almost nothing. I got it in the bundle with Limbo and Braid, ended up liking Avadon a lot more than those despite its faults, got back into rpgs. But now I have Vogel fatigue. I wouldn't spend $20 for another Avadon/Avernum especially when Eternity and Divinity are on sale for that price....

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeh, I hit a wall. Meh. It was entertaining for a few hours, but I can't be bothered with it anymore. Avadon is just meh.

Sizzle

Arcane
Yeh, I hit a wall. Meh. It was entertaining for a few hours, but I can't be bothered with it anymore. Avadon is just meh.

Same here. Got to the final third of the game, but just can't force myself to continue with the HP bloaty mess.

Unwanted

Bésame Mucho

Unwanted
The fat man and his '''games''' are a testament to infinite stupidity of men and proof that autism can feed you for decades.

Lhynn

Arcane
The fat man and his '''games''' are a testament to infinite stupidity of men and proof that autism can feed you for decades.
You shut your filthy mouth, Vogel has done a lot for RPGs, and given us two sagas of p. much the best cRPGs have to offer.

Yes he may be churning out crap nowadays, but never forget he made exile and geneforge.

Why do people talk? You have 6000 posts and this guy has 32. New guy says "infinite stupidity" and autism have led to a unique career of pretending to make real games. And you respond to add your 6001st post? The new guy is clearly being stupid....and your response will change that?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Same here. Got to the final third of the game, but just can't force myself to continue with the HP bloaty mess.
I thought this was supposed to not have HP bloat?

Unfortunately, that's how Jeff has been balancing combat encounters for the past 10 years or so now.

Johannes

Arcane

Unfortunately, that's how Jeff has been balancing combat encounters for the past 10 years or so now.
That's true for most of his games. But he explicitly said he'd have a different approach this time.

Sizzle

Arcane

That's true for most of his games. But he explicitly said he'd have a different approach this time.

It isn't as noticeable or bad as the first two, but at some point in the game it devolves into the same old tiresome, drawn-out fights against enemies you kill by slowly whittling down their 10.000HP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom