Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Avadon out (on Mac)

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hobo Elf said:
:yeah:

Now I just gotta wait for it to come out on a real platform.

On the bright side, the mactard mongrels will be acting as lab rats and help Vogel fix the bugs in time for the PC master race release.

Repressed Homosexual
Help codex I tried to install the demo but my computer tells me it doesn't recognize the file.

Could it be because I don't have an overpriced fagcintosh?

Luzur

Good Sir
Humanity has risen! said:
Help codex I tried to install the demo but my computer tells me it doesn't recognize the file.

Could it be because I don't have an overpriced fagcintosh?

i guess so.

didnt Jaesun have a Mac? or was it one of the trannies? i know someone admitted to being a Mactard here.

Repressed Homosexual
Yeah, just round up the homos and trannies here, surely someone will be willing.

In fact it wouldn't surprise me if all of them were Mac owners.

Elzair

Cipher
Well, I can tell you one thing after reading the manual. It has achievements.

Start New Game - Create a new character and begin a new journey.
Load Game - Pick up one of your old stories where you left off.
Instructions - You can access the full instructions to Avadon: The Black Fortress inside the game.
Settings - Change the settings for the game, including the difficulty.
Medals - There are fifteen medals you can earn while playing Avadon. There is a different thing you need to accomplish to earn each one. This shows you which medals you have earned.
Quit - Leave the land of Lynaeus and rejoin the real world.

:rage:

Elzair

Cipher
It also has regenerating health and auto-revivals.

When you end combat with no foes nearby, all unconscious characters will return to life. All lost health will rapidly return to wounded characters.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Meh. It's either that, or you waste time healing your party to full and then resting. Achievements is luzly though.

Elzair said:
Well, I can tell you one thing after reading the manual. It has achievements.

Medals - There are fifteen medals you can earn while playing Avadon. There is a different thing you need to accomplish to earn each one. This shows you which medals you have earned.

:rage:
Cargo Cult game design. Simply astounding.

At least it makes the decision easy.

Quit - Leave the land of Lynaeus and rejoin the real world.

Elzair

Cipher
I love it when designers openly disclose the flaws of their ruleset.

Like all game systems, this one has flaws and exploitable points. Most notably, if a PC stacks tons and tons of points into dexterity, that character becomes very difficult to hit. Too much so. The best fix for this system is to, when a character gains a level, have two base statistics go up. The statistics that go up at any given level change, but they are assigned in a way that each statistic is generally half the character’s level. I am up in the air about whether to do this for Avadon 2, as the loss of freedom will annoy players. I suspect that the advantages of a non-broken game system will be worth it.

Vitality doesn’t make much of a difference. Actually, I don’t think that this is a flaw. I want the player to be aware that his or her characters are getting tired, without having to actually deal with the irritating development of one’s characters getting tired. However, if I had to do it all over again, I would place fewer Potions of Vitality.

The skill points are a little tight. In Avadon 2, I will give the player a few more to spend.

Other than that, I think the system actually works extremely well. Battles are tight, fast- paced, and with a pretty darn decent amount of strategy. The movement elements, like knockback abilities and foes halting movement, are absolutely key.

Antihero

Liturgist
It's not what you think. I had to perform certain deviant sexual favours. Maybe it is what you think, but don't worry: I'm writing this post on good old Windows right now - not even the Boot Camp variety, which is just tranny-Windows as we all know. God, I could use a shower right now. (Trying too hard?)

I could LP some of it if anybody actually cares. (If you still see a golden frog, I guess I'll have to bother with something besides imageshack eventually.)

avadon.jpg

:yeah:

Repressed Homosexual
http://www.spiderwebforums.com/forum/ub ... w=1#UNREAD

I've noticed that Avadon has a rather unwelcome (by me, anyway) way of adding quest goals directly to the automap. Now, I can understand why such handholding might be viewed as a good thing by more casual gamers, but I find it entirely unnecessary, as I relish exploration and finding things on my own. Being shown where my targets are located is extremely irritating. Is there any way to disable this "feature?"

:decline:

Antihero

Liturgist
Nothing in the settings menu to turn it off. The gameplay settings are just difficulty, scrolling speed, warning before pause in combat, and keyboard shortcuts (none of which are relevant). You may also be happy to know the walking animation still sucks.

Also, I think I got confused and set it to too high a difficulty. It didn't give me a default so I just chose "Torment" because I heard that was a good game. BioWare was right!

Rogue

Educated
What are you talking about??? How am I supposed to play a game without something blinking in my face GO HERE? I'd be lost for hours ffs. Try going outside your house without GPS navigation and see how far you get! You guys will criticize just about anything, won't you? And they tried so hard to appeal to a larger audience. Not everyone is a master ranger, you know. RPGs are daunting enough with all those stats and numbers. When you also don't know exactly where to go it's just so frustrating! So I approve of this minimap thing! So innovative!!111

Repressed Homosexual
It's funny because I started playing Nethergate and Avernum and got to really enjoy the exploration a whole lot.

Come to think of it, wasn't there something similar in Avernum 6? I played the demo for a handful of hours and I seem to recall such a system in the automap.

wesleyclark

Augur
Did the sound files for Baldur's Gate go open-source? I swear the effects that fire when you assign equipment to armor/quick slots sound familiar.

ElectricOtter

One last thing

I hope that the rest of Avadon hasn't been dumbed down like this.

Sorry, it kind of has. But I wouldn't say dumbed down, I'd say... streamlined, or simplified perhaps.
oh

oh god

:x
VOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Why is everyone acting so surprised? Vogel has been praising quest compasses, streamlining, autoresurrects and so on for years now. I'm honestly surprised it took him so long to implement all his beloved mechanics. I guess he thought the new series was the perfect time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom