Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Avernum 2: Crystal Souls

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Lhynn

Arcane
Fuck this shit. Tell him to re-release Exile 2 instead. Then ill give him my money.

ASTRAL

Arcane
Some big publisher needs to offer Vogel a CEO position the man sure knows how to milk the shit of his IPs

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Re-release Geneforge series with better graphics and music instead.

He eventually will, if he thinks there's a market for it.

A large part of my professional life now is acting as curator for the things I made when I was young. I spend my time trying to be respectful to the work of my younger self, bringing it into the modern day while preserving the stuff that made people love it in the first place. It's a very different sort of job, with its own challenges, but I do enjoy it. I wish more people did a better job of respecting what they made when they were young. (CoughGeorgeLucasCough)

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/jeff-vogel-creatively-bankrupt-and-proud.94111/

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What he should do is invest in better art assets and a full soundtrack, then he can get a much larger target audience.

Unwanted

Mr Fantastic

Andhaira
Andhaira
What he should do is invest in better art assets and a full soundtrack, then he can get a much larger target audience.

Unfortunately both these things didn't help the Eschalon series much, However, the Eschalon team did make a couple of critical mistakes, primary being not making their game party based and having a weak character system, and adding a run function. Otherwise their engine and graphics were top notch.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What someone should actually do is to port the entire Geneforge series to D:OS just to piss him off.:x

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
sQtliqg.png

I'm actually looking forward to this. Exile II is my favorite game in the series, but getting it to run on a modern PC is an ordeal I don't want to attempt.

Mustawd

Will probably buy. Going through his old version of Avernum and would not mind seeing a bit clearer graphics. Plus, I heard he fixed that stupid journal system he used in his older games.

Now if he could just fix all that filler combat...

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
D:OS only allows 4 character parties. Wasn't the original Geneforge a party of 6?

It also has summons that act essentially the same as other party members, so technically the party size is larger than 4. Dunno if summons can be modded into regular (permanent) party members though.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It also has summons that act essentially the same as other party members, so technically the party size is larger than 4. Dunno if summons can be modded into regular (permanent) party members though.

From my understanding of the engine, no. It is only 4 Characters with 2 slots for summons. Which is a damn shame, BUT I understand why they did that (faster combat resolution).

Spockrock

Augur
in the "green goo" Geneforge you have 8 slots (as a Shaper, at least). and once you summon something, it stays with you until you send it back or it dies (it persists on zoning, in other words). how many of those slots can be used for actual party members I do not know.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
G1 only had 1 possible party member, but had 7 total slots for summons (you could summon 7 additional creatures apart from yourself).

So there were, more or less, 8 party slots in Geneforge given that if you summon a monster you could keep it the entire game if it lived that long. And each summoned monster had their own stat screens and leveled based on experience gained. The only thing the summoned creatures didn't have was an inventory (the main character's inventory was built directly into the interface and wasn't a separate screen).

The only Geneforge game that had non-summoned permanent party members was G3, but if I remember correctly, the added party members were treated like summons in that they had stats, but no inventory (although, unlike summons, I don't think they perma-died if they fell in battle). All the other Geneforges, technically, were solo games, though, in that the player character is the only permanent party
member apart from summons.

pippin

Not having soundtrack actually helps build a special atmosphere while exploring the caves in the first Avernum remake. I do agree with art assets, though, and especially character animations. Otherwise it's good enough to get me interested.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I will probably pick this up. I dropped Avernum 5 halfway through after playing through Avernum 4 entirely, so I should probably go back to that first, but I'm a sucker for Avernum for whatever reason. Something about that world is just a cool setting for an RPG and the games are always just massive and full of stuff to do.

Have you tried the first remake? How is it? With luck it'll be on sale when Avernum 2 comes out so I might pick it up then, but right now I'm going through the Geneforge games so it'll be a while before I get to Avernum.

Morkar Left

It was on sale on gog just a few days ago. But now 7,99 € is still not too much. It's definitely worth the money but the mechanics are somewhat dumbed down. I'm missing stealth, proper thief/exploraton skills, proper healing mechanics and maybe a diplomacy skill.

Personally I like the art assets now. The are good enough and polished enough to not distract from the gameplay. The pictures and character pictures are even top notch.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Have you tried the first remake? How is it? With luck it'll be on sale when Avernum 2 comes out so I might pick it up then, but right now I'm going through the Geneforge games so it'll be a while before I get to Avernum.
Do you mean Avernum: Escape From the Pit? It's good, a lot better than the first Avernum. Better looking and better mechanics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom