Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Avernum 3: Ruined World

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Screenshot_2018_1_30_Avernum_3_Ruined_World.png

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/avernum/avernum3/index.html

I hope that it is just some mistake. I won't buy the game from steam.:keepmymoney:

Sizzle

Arcane
It will definitely be available on GOG, all of his games are.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
it has been exactly enough time since Crystal Souls was released for me to play and enjoy Avernum 3 now. Can't wait!.. Although I'll have to since I have a ton of other games I'm playing atm. Might even buy the Hintbook DLC as well since it looks like a ye olde manual / hintbook back from the good ol' days.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
it has been exactly enough time since Crystal Souls was released for me to play and enjoy Avernum 3 now. Can't wait!.. Although I'll have to since I have a ton of other games I'm playing atm.
What are you playing mate? I am starving for a good rpgs to sink a few days in. I go tired of replaying the good olds like "Ascension to the Throne" and "battle mages". Even tried out Seven the days long gone,sadly a few mechanics are killing it for me. The retarded slow item picking and the inventory weight.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
it has been exactly enough time since Crystal Souls was released for me to play and enjoy Avernum 3 now. Can't wait!.. Although I'll have to since I have a ton of other games I'm playing atm.
What are you playing mate? I am starving for a good rpgs to sink a few days in. I go tired of replaying the good olds like "Ascension to the Throne" and "battle mages". Even tried out Seven the days long gone,sadly a few mechanics are killing it for me. The retarded slow item picking and the inventory weight.

I'm playing Monster Hunter World, A Link Between Worlds and Saga Frontier 2.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Avernum 3 was accidentally released a couple of days ago. I posted in another thread and in the shoutbox to let some people know, and then I sent an email giving Spiderweb Software a heads up. They subsequently pulled it from their site until the release date. At any rate, I've been enjoying this game and figured I'd share some thoughts.

I have played a lot of Spiderweb titles over the years, but I never bothered with the Exile/Avernum series until recently. My experience with this specific series is limited to Avernum 1: EftP and Avernum 2: CS. If you just want my conclusion: Avernum 3 is a step up from its predecessors and definitely worth your time. I haven't finished it yet, but so far it's my favourite in the series.

A3 feels a lot closer to A1. It has a large and open world that you can freely explore. The game doesn't railroad you like A2 did; you obviously start as an Avernite, but it feels like you could just as easily leave that behind you. There are some big improvements/twists not seen in previous titles, too:

The biggest change is that the game world is affected by the passage of time. This is used for insignificant reasons (time limits on some delivery quests), and for major reasons (significant changes if the player is too slow to complete certain, important tasks). I haven't actually tested to what extent the world can change, but apparently it gets pretty severe.

In terms of locations, the game takes place in Avernum and on the surface. Leaving the cave is no longer the ultimate goal (EftP), but rather something freely done right from the beginning. The accessible areas of Avernum have been cut down significantly, but there's still a decent-sized underworld map with a few cities and plenty of familiar faces.

Combat is much the same as A1 and A2. If you have played any Spiderweb games then you should know what to expect. I will just add that the difficulty curve is still present; it is very easy to wander into a situation that you cannot survive. Early on, you need to pay attention and heed the warnings you are given. When the game tells you that perhaps you should pay the bandit's toll, perhaps you ought to pay the toll (or find a way to walk around them).

Finally, the writing in A3 is more amusing than usual. It's not that Vogel is constantly cracking jokes, but there are extended scenes that are funny in an innocent and simple way. For example, prior to going to the surface you are taught what a tree is, and there's one mage who's studying a dandelion and trying to figure out what special power it contains. At any rate, if you like the writing in other Spiderweb games then you will like it here, too.

Right now I would probably give it a 8/10. My only hesitation is that I haven't progressed enough to see if it's possible to pick a different faction (ala geneforge), or if I'm basically just going to be following a rebel storyline with a lot of freedom to do side quests.

http://www.avernum.com/avernum3/index.html
I bought it from the above link, I was sent an email from humble bundle which contained a download link and a steam key.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Avernum 3 was accidentally released a couple of days ago. I posted in another thread and in the shoutbox to let some people know, and then I sent an email giving Spiderweb Software a heads up.

lolwut. You should have posted it here.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Avernum 3 was accidentally released a couple of days ago. I posted in another thread and in the shoutbox to let some people know, and then I sent an email giving Spiderweb Software a heads up.

lolwut. You should have posted it here.

I was thinking the same thing when I wrote that mini-review. I forgot there even was a Spiderweb Software sub-forum. When I didn't see a specific Avernum 3 thread in the general discussion forum I just put it in the upcoming games thread. I also mentioned it in the shoutbox a bit. I discovered it by sheer accident, and it seems a couple of people on the official forums noticed it, too. It was taken down with 24 hours of when I noticed it, and they sent me an email saying that it was an accident.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I think it's just a matter of when GOG guys push the release button. GOG usually release games around this time, so very soon?

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
where did i get that 20% off coupons? owning most of vogel's library on steam? the only one i dont own is the first escape from the pit which i pirated back in 2014 or so.
at least from that act of piracy i became a fan and bought everything i havent played and d1p everything when release

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
I'll probably buy it sooner than I finally get to playing the rest of his games.

So far I have finished Avernum 4 (6 years or so ago) and Geneforge 5 (last year). Avernum 1 is on th elist.

Also I only own Avernum 1 & Avadon 1 & Geneforge on steam, Avernum 2 & Avadon 2/3 are on Gog. Got no coupon!

McPlusle

Savant
Are all of Spiderweb's games self-contained? I have basically all of them in some form (except Avernum 3).

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Yes. E.g. Geneforge 5 is the last game in the series and it ends all storylines but I had literally no problems playing it without playing previous games. Same was with Avernum 4. It seems that it's better to start with Avernum 1 as it's first chronologically and other games mechanics grow from it. Avadon is older but a little different so you can play it separately.

V_K

Arcane
The biggest change is that the game world is affected by the passage of time. This is used for insignificant reasons (time limits on some delivery quests), and for major reasons (significant changes if the player is too slow to complete certain, important tasks). I haven't actually tested to what extent the world can change, but apparently it gets pretty severe.
It was there since Exile 3.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I am playing the game now. Is the time thing for real,it is total opposite of all the other games,now i feel ripped off. :baka:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
I am playing the game now. Is the time thing for real,it is total opposite of all the other games,now i feel ripped off. :baka:

Yes, the time thing is real, and yes I had the same immediate reaction.

Then, I went and checked online to see what things change and when the changes will occur. I also figured out that if you look at the map it tells you what day you're currently on.

Spoiler:

Each "continent" or area is on a different timer. The first area (the one with the slimes) will undergo a change around day 11 if you do not kill the slime boss. Basically, the cities will suffer a series of disasters (walls will crumble, some characters will die, etc). As the days go on, you continue to see progressively greater disasters until you either destroy the big baddie for that area, or otherwise the cities are taken over.

If you do kill the main enemy for the region, it's over. No more changes at that location; you can sit on your hands all day long.

Anyway, I am playing on hard and I have easily beaten the timer without really paying much attention to it. I defeated the main enemy in the first region around day 7 or 8, and that's taking my time and doing various side-quests and exploring the underworld. You have to actually do side-quests and explore because otherwise you will get your head kicked in (or slimed).

I'm currently in the cockroach region, perhaps day 15 or something, and nothing will change for a long while. I am fairly confident that 1 or 2 changes will be meaningless, too; who cares if some of these cities suffer a minor setback? I just don't want to have them suffer 3+ disasters and get totally wiped out.

I was also just offered the opportunity to join some sort of weird anti-mage cult. I obviously declined, but I'm thinking that would be a fun way to replay the game: priests and warriors only. Maybe summoning priests.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Yes, the time thing is real, and yes I had the same immediate reaction.

Then, I went and checked online to see what things change and when the changes will occur. I also figured out that if you look at the map it tells you what day you're currently on.

Spoiler:

Each "continent" or area is on a different timer. The first area (the one with the slimes) will undergo a change around day 11 if you do not kill the slime boss. Basically, the cities will suffer a series of disasters (walls will crumble, some characters will die, etc). As the days go on, you continue to see progressively greater disasters until you either destroy the big baddie for that area, or otherwise the cities are taken over.

If you do kill the main enemy for the region, it's over. No more changes at that location; you can sit on your hands all day long.

Anyway, I am playing on hard and I have easily beaten the timer without really paying much attention to it. I defeated the main enemy in the first region around day 7 or 8, and that's taking my time and doing various side-quests and exploring the underworld. You have to actually do side-quests and explore because otherwise you will get your head kicked in (or slimed).

I'm currently in the cockroach region, perhaps day 15 or something, and nothing will change for a long while. I am fairly confident that 1 or 2 changes will be meaningless, too; who cares if some of these cities suffer a minor setback? I just don't want to have them suffer 3+ disasters and get totally wiped out.

I was also just offered the opportunity to join some sort of weird anti-mage cult. I obviously declined, but I'm thinking that would be a fun way to replay the game: priests and warriors only. Maybe summoning priests.
I am at 10 day in krizsam,it took me 8 days to explore the caves. If i knew that it will effect things i would have acted faster,i don't remember a massage saying that time effects things. It is stupid to expect people to know about the mechanic,you have more than 10 game where there is no time mechanic and suddenly there is. Does anyone know a cheat to reset the time count or something similar?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom