Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Avernum 4 Discussion

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
After a few disappointing experiences on our Top 70 game list, I decided to ditch the games on that list I haven't completed, and instead finish up some smaller, lesser known titles I feel are better experiences. I hope to finish some of the Spiderweb Software games this year, along with a few distractions on the side.

A little background. I've completed the entire Exile trilogy many years back, the first Avadon, and all five Geneforge games. I also got my butt kicked by and rage quit the Roman vs Celts game called "Nethergate: Resurrection". So I know and like the Spiderweb Software games. I plan to play Avernum 4, 5, and 6 before finally completing Nethergate: Ressurection. I expect that this will take the rest of 2018, with the usual adult distractions that will come my way. For those that don't know, Avernum 1-3 are pretty much a modernized version of Exile 1-3. They are also made obsolete by a third trilogy of a similar name. So Avernum 4 is the continuation of the story of the original Exile 1-3 trilogy. Really, unless you follow Spiderweb Software and Jeff Vogel, I probably lost you already.

I am now about 15 hours into Avernum 4 and maybe... just maybe... have gotten through the first 25% of the game. I wanted to share some of my random thoughts. The Exile trilogy dealt with a war between an underground penal colony and the Empire that banished its criminal citizens. At the end of Exile 3, the heroes were victorious and the Empire recognized the penal colony's independence. I don't want to get into spoilers, so will leave it at that, except to say that Avernum 4 begins with the underground realm at peace with the people on the world's surface. Odd disturbances along the borders of this rough civilization have been occurring, however, and the party is sent in to investigate, solving quests and defeating plots along the way.

Character advancement is caused by levelling up, where a hero earns skill points to distribute among several attributes and skills. You can generate characters and advance them for particular roles or hybrid skills. I created a fighter with a few points allocated to make him decent enough to open weak locks and get through some traps. Two pure arcane spellcasters back him up at a distance, and a priest makes for a decent fighter/divine caster hybrid. The arcane spellcasters are beasts, and I couldn't imagine just having one in the party. Every now and then we run into shades (undead spirits, I believe), and that's when the divine spellcaster really shines since she has a specialized spell that does massive damage against them. The fighter is a simple meat shield, though he often does get a couple of attacks a round to help hold his own. I would be having a much harder time if I went with a pure fighter, rogue, cleric, wizard party build, though I probably would have had better access to parts of the game my current party is unable to reach. I am curious if I could have gotten away with a cleric and three arcane spellcasters.

Magic is pretty limited. For arcane spellcasters, I only have a couple of pure blasting spells, a good buff spell, and some debuffs. When surrounded, the arcane spellcasters can summon help. On the other hand, the divine spellcaster has only one attack spell for living beings and one for undead. She can also summon help, but really her job is to keep the rest of the party alive with cure and healing spells. Combat is turn-based, and conducted on square tiles. To some of you, this probably sounds a bit limited and perhaps boring, but I have yet to get tired of this game. My characters are at level 9, my best armor is chain mail and best weapon is a simple long sword. But we keep finding buffing equipment such as magical necklaces and cloaks. There are a large number of quests to complete and mysteries to solve. Dungeon delving stays challenging, and I have run into a handful of challenges I'm unable to defeat. On a plus side, the game is set in an open world, so there is nothing preventing me from exploring other areas and returning to the harder ones at a later time. I've already eliminated threats from one settlement and am getting close to resolving a curse hanging over another one.

I still don't know if the quests I'm solving are completely separate or part of a greater, woven narrative. But I've been playing since early this month and have been hooked. I'll drop in a few lines every now and then when I have something to add.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
After you finish Avernum series go for Geneforge. Both series are unique and very different. Hope that you don't loose your mind once you get to the pylon part. It must be the most.....aggravating part in all of the Avernum games. It took me hours to clear that shit out,and a lot of rage quits:argh:. Anyway,good luck mate.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Avernum 4 was overall fine game, but Exile it was not. :negative: Very railroaded, too much things were removed, thus worsening combat, and story was pretty meh.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Update time. Almost 1/2 of the way through the game now and at Level 18 for each character. The game started to get pretty repetitous, but now I'm running into a lot of monsters that need special tactics to defeat. For instance, there is a type of undead out there that is difficult to damage with most spells and with physical attacks. However, they are susceptible to acid. When I am swarmed by these types of undead, my two arcane blasters haste themselves so they can move twice a round, then they follow up future turns with summons to block attackers from them and then acid spells to coat the undead. My fighter and priest also act as blockers, with my priest mass healing when needed. So I'm still tearing up almost everyone I'm running into. I am having trouble with one evil demon summoner who has an ungodly amount of hit points, spell points, and speed, but I left him alone and am able to progress no problem. The only other limitation I am running into is that I need to learn higher level spells that take down barriers, since the magic barriers I am running into are too powerful for the pierce barrier crystals I have been findng and purchasing. I think these barriers are protecting high level items and some solutions to side quests.

Oh, and there is a greater conspiracy slowly being unravelled. I actually think there are two conspiracies... one human, and one unrelated and non-human. The plot thickens...

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
It took me about a month and a half, but I finished the game. My party was just over level 30. It took me about 50-60 hours of play, and it's amazing what you can fit into 25+ MB of data. I really enjoyed it overall, but there are some issues.

- No real C&C. Maybe someone else had a different experience, but this is what I noticed:
-- In order to complete some sidequests I killed several enemies that had no beef with me. There didn't seem to be any repurcussions.
-- There are several opportunities for dialogue with the BBEG, but each time combat unfolds exactly the same even when I'm trying to talk the BBEG down.
--- The only real game changing moment seemed to be when two rival warlords asked that I assassinate the other. I didn't take either up on their offers as I didn't want to risk a town turning hostile.
- The game runs out of varieties of enemies toward the end, and resorts to attempts to overwhelm your party with summons and multiple enemies. I think a party with one pure mage would have trouble because of the larger groups of enemies at the end, and how the game cheats by trying to attack you from multiple sides. However, my two hasted mages curb-stomped most everything. - Traps are also quite limited.
- The variation is alright the first 2/3rds of the game, but gets tiring by the end. There are no puzzles. Because of this, I explored every nook and cranny up until towards the end where I just wanted to be done.

Other than that, the writing and mood was right on. A military leader in one frontier town was overly aggressive, while others in more defended locations seemed old and worn-down. The different factions had understandable motivations, such as a racist, anti-royalist movement that promoted itself as serving the interest of the people. I might not have agreed with all of the factions, but I understood where they were coming from, and never felt as if one side was totally in the right. Jeff Vogel is usually good with these complexities outside of Geneforge 3 and the Avadon series. I already generated a party for Avernum 5 and am excited to see that I'm a party of Empire soldiers cast into Avernum and on a mission to stop some antagonists left unkilled in Avernum 4. I need to finish Dark Sun and a couple other projects, however, before I tackle another Avernum. Still... it's kinda tempitng...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom