Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Recolored Mod (Released)

mondblut

Arcane
Very nice. These blue mushrooms invoke the original Exile vibe.

Booger

Educated
it's fucking amazing how much better it looks and, if i understand things correctly, you are simply tweaking color gradation and contrast and things like that, right?

fucking unbelievable the before/after shots considering there is no actual replacement of existing assets. you have a good eye and definitely know how to make those landscapes pop, like the colors you've chosen for the fauna really give it an alien, otherworldy (and underground) aesthetic.

color work is fascinating to me ever since i deep-dived into some PDF documents explaining how black and white in film works and why it has nothing to do with simple desaturation, that led me into a rabbit hole of color gradation and filters and reading about meanings of colors in western films, etc.

you should definitely include this mod into your "portfolio" if you ever decide to seek an art job in a video game project.

Thank you man! The mod started out by just tweaking some assets, enhancing shadows, adding flares to lights and things like that. But then I started replacing some of the shrooms, plants and rocks etc. with new custom assets to give the environment more variation. I've actually just replaced the screenshots with ones from the latest version to reflect the current state. I've literally done all this in 4 days. Working on an rpg is definitely a dream of mine! I'm actually a programmer who also does some art and music. I'm currently working as a freelance web developer, and to be honest, I hate it lol. Been working on some game demos here and there, but nothing to write home about yet. Going to try to be more serious about it though, so my next Codex announcement might actually be my own game haha

Castozor

Scholar
Just recently picked up this game, and your mod today. I really like it, seems to fit the atmosphere better than the original colours/flora.

There was a guy recoloring avernum that planned to release a mod. Who was him? Sorry if I post here, but this one is the only avernum topic I've found and I'm pretty sure some of you know about whom I'm talking about.

Last edited:

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I had just started my EftP adventure and have to say this mod is amazing at setting the right mood. Great, great work!

Codex Year of the Donut
shame OP seems to have disappeared but this is a great mod
the art didn't match the atmosphere at all before. The game opens up telling you how the area is being lit by bioluminescent mushrooms but it looks like a regular sunny day

feels like I'm in a proper dank and wet oppressive cavern now rather than a generic fantasy overworld

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Exile was darker than that. No idea why the remakes brightened it up so much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom