Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Azarkon vs the Cult of Hardcore RPG Fatalism - can hardcore RPGs sell better?

TigerKnee

Arcane
Hardcore RPGs could sell a lot if they featured animu art and were made by Japanese people. Weebs will buy fucking everything on STEAM this days.
Well Age of Decadence is already a Visual Novel, so the Japanese localization just needs to change all the art to Animu and add the option to Romance What's-Her-Name thief and it'll sell gangbusters

Telengard

Arcane
The thing about rpgs and math is it's all founded upon relational math. Fans of hardcore rpgs tend to be the sort of people who can do relational math without even thinking about it. They don't even notice they're doing it. They read associative patterns and learn them without any effort whatsoever. As in, being an elf means I get this and this and this, and if I mix that with being a fighter then it will do this and this and this, and being a fighter will get me this and this and this, and then if I add a level of magic-user, that will change me in this and this and this way. Thing of it is, none of this math is particular complex in isolation. Put it all together, though, and the Player has to start thinking about number patterns. And that's where ya lose most of the public.

Things like Sudoku can have quite complex puzzle challenges, but they don't require you to look beyond the patterns directly in front of you, nor do they require you to learn and apply multiple overlays on top of patterns, such as equipment, spell bonuses and magic items (which all stack and don't stack with various choices made on the character sheet). These elements are why the public often calls rpgs Excel sheets. - A common epithet used also for grognard strategy games.

And it's often not that the public couldn't learn the skills of rpg, it's that they really really really don't want to. They find the entire concept of rpg boring, and when they are taking entertainment, they don't want to be bored. They want to have "fun and relax".

Taken individually, arguments of this form have a certain logic to them. They appeal to the "hardcore CRPG fan's" sense of superiority, makes a claim that cannot be refuted because it is based on a lack of actual evidence, and finishes it up with an intelligence association ie "CRPGs = relational math." Propagandists would be proud.

But there's a central flaw: it only works when your audience is as ignorant as you presume them to be, ie drinking the full "hardcore" coolaid.

In actuality, the amount of math in just about all the "hardcore CRPGs" discussed is less than in a typical strategy game, even a less hardcore strategy game, and simultaneously it's a lot easier to achieve success in these games, all of which are single-player, than it is in the min/max world of strategy gaming. After all, you can beat Age of Decadence just by following a walkthrough. There's no doing this with any competitive strategy game, which tend to be played between human opponents.

You guys' response? "Well they're strategy games, not CRPGs, so it doesn't count because, uh, strategy fans have already accepted it."

In which case, the inference to draw, actually, is that CRPG fans = idiots, strategy fans = smarts, and hardcore CRPG fans are smart wannabes who have a soft spot in their hearts for storyfaggotry. Suddenly the label is not so appealing.

Try to refute this: CRPG combat is a dumbed down form of PnP RPG combat, which is in turn a dumbed down form of tactical strategy game combat. Because I am fairly sure very few of you making these sorts of arguments about the "complexity" of CRPGs have ever played a full-blown strategy game. And yes, those do sell.
Actually, my response is - one can go onto the places where the mainstream rpg players congregate and ask them. As so many have done before. They're quite open about their wants and beliefs. Plenty of such threads already exist all across the internet, so you don't even need to ask them yourself, if you don't want. If you're bad at searching, "boring" is a good word to include. Or if you want something more official, studies about gamer habits and beliefs also abound. There's even plenty of anecdotes around from devs about how bad most rpg players are at hardcore rpg games. Some fun stuff.

Or if your research skills are up to snuff, you can dig back to the 70s, when strategy games and then d&d were actually popular. And then watch what happened when ad&d was introduced and all the casuals said bye-bye, leaving the hobby to the nerds.

None of this is secret knowledge, none of it is new.
oh my god, somebody is really thinking that killing monsters is a game for intelligent people
All human beings are intelligent, speaking in the broad spectrum. It's part of what separates us from the animals. I mean, you're obviously not very intelligent, but overall the human race is an intelligent creature. However the nature of that intelligence is not one thing, but many things. Now, that's probably too difficult a concept for you to grasp, but I'll try to dumb it down for you.

If one were to break Intelligence down into, say, seven categories, we could rpg this beast - and we'll call these seven categories Attributes. Now, different people would have different stats in each of these Attributes. One of these Attributes would be the ability to absorb lots of data and grasp the big picture of it, seeing the patterns in it, and thus allowing them to more easily make decisions based upon that mass of data. Of course, the people who have a high stat in this area often dump not only their social skills, but their ability to grasp intuitive, empathic, and philosophical decision making. Which is why most rpg players are dumb. But they understand computers real gud.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i've never understood why completion rates necessarily have to dictate anything regarding potential sales. i've never properly finished some of my all-time favorite games.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
In actuality, most of the Codex's readership probably arrived on the site via one of the many mainstream RPGs from the isometric era - ie Fallout, Baldur's Gate, PS:T. Two of these games are, at times, described as "cult," but they all sold hundreds of thousands of copies and aren't direct analogies to their indie imitators today.
Fallout and PST sold poorly. Sure, poorly in the context of a publisher-backed game means hundreds of thousands of copies (400k each, if I recall correctly), but it was still poor even by mid 90s standards. In comparison BG sold over 2 million copies. See the difference? Diablo sold millions of copies as well, which is why these two games (and not Fallout or PST) are credited with resurrecting the genre by showing how to make "rpgs" more appealing.

BG was a trash game.

No choices, most of it just combat. But it looked nice and didnt had any puzzles.

Was no exploration too, "zones" were pretty small and boring. NPCs maybe 2-3 were OK like drow girl or minsk, other boring (Imoen, etc).

Boring and linear.

I dont understand why people like BG, really.

Archibald

Arcane
Sure, PST was a linear game (for the record so was BG) with crappy RT combat lifted straight out of BG, but the main difference was that PST was a text-heavy game with philosophical undertones and a zombie-looking man character. The game was about exploring the main character's past lives and coming up with an answer to a a fairly philosophical question. There was combat and monsters but they were in the background. In comparison, BG was silly heroic fantasy which is what Bio peddled from day one. Combat was the main and only meal and there was nothing to do there but slay monsters.

Feels a bit like mental gymnastics to justify this "casual vs hardcore" narrative. All this stuff about zombie protagonist and philosophical undertones sounds cool until we realize that we are talking about games and not books here. And its pretty clear which game had better gameplay, stuff that actually should matter to "intelligent gamer".

thexsa

Educated
In actuality, most of the Codex's readership probably arrived on the site via one of the many mainstream RPGs from the isometric era - ie Fallout, Baldur's Gate, PS:T. Two of these games are, at times, described as "cult," but they all sold hundreds of thousands of copies and aren't direct analogies to their indie imitators today.
Fallout and PST sold poorly. Sure, poorly in the context of a publisher-backed game means hundreds of thousands of copies (400k each, if I recall correctly), but it was still poor even by mid 90s standards. In comparison BG sold over 2 million copies. See the difference? Diablo sold millions of copies as well, which is why these two games (and not Fallout or PST) are credited with resurrecting the genre by showing how to make "rpgs" more appealing.

BG was a trash game.

No choices, most of it just combat. But it looked nice and didnt had any puzzles.

Was no exploration too, "zones" were pretty small and boring. NPCs maybe 2-3 were OK like drow girl or minsk, other boring (Imoen, etc).

Boring and linear.

I dont understand why people like BG, really.

People liked it because it is very accessible, easy to understand and get into. Strategy games were huge around the time(AoE, Starcraft etc.) and BG basically plays like a strategy game with more story and exploration.

If you look at other RPG games around the time, like Mandate of Heaven, BG doesn't require as much brainpower, it isn't as annoying to navigate and it's not nearly as confusing for first timers for RPG's to just create their character and whack some rats.

Black_Willow

Arcane
Hardcore RPGs could sell a lot if they featured animu art and were made by Japanese people. Weebs will buy fucking everything on STEAM this days.
Well Age of Decadence is already a Visual Novel, so the Japanese localization just needs to change all the art to Animu and add the option to Romance What's-Her-Name thief and it'll sell gangbusters
Age of Onii-San :desu::happytrollboy:

Telengard

Arcane
i've never understood why completion rates necessarily have to dictate anything regarding potential sales. i've never properly finished some of my all-time favorite games.
There, you're entering into the realm of statistics and probabilities. In this case, it's how well liked was a game long after purchase. These days, it's much easier than it was to find out how many people bought a game, and with user reviewers and forums, much easier to get an idea of the public's first impressions by mushing all of the reviews and comments into a data table. But gauging long-term interest in a game is trickier business.

But in general, people who are invested in a 50-hour game long enough to finish it are statistically much more likely to purchase something else from that dev. While there are those who finish every game they buy even if they hate it, and those who don't finish anything and buy anyway, here it's about the general trends of people and purchasing, not what any one individual will do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom