Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Backlog Cleansing

Ivan

Arcane
Thought it would be a good idea of making a list of games I've left to play on my current rig before I upgrade next year (from my 670 to a 1070). Would like some advice as to which I could weed out, e.g. Jade Empire, Risen 2/3. Also, would be cool if you could point out which should take priority.

Resident Evil Remake
Beneath A Steel Sky
Consortium
Desperados
Fez
Gray Matter

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
Jagged Alliance 2
King of Dragon Pass
The Last Express
Memoria
Realms of Arkania
Soul Reaver?
Operation Flashpoint
Icewind Dale
Sanitarium
Sam and Max Hit the Road
Tex Murphy
Enemy
Day of the Tentacool
Freedom Force
Defense Grid 2
Death To Spies
Commandos
80 Days
Sunless Sea
Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis
Loom
The Dig
Oddworld
Civ
The Fall
The Swapper
Fran Bow
Anna’s Quest
Wizardry (all of ‘em?)
Samorost 3
Europa
Crusader Kings 2
Civ (any)
Fallout 1.5

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
If this was my backlog of games I had yet to play, I'd play Day of the Tentacle and Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis (because they're really really good adventure games) and maybe include a game or two that caters to my personal taste, then purge the rest of the list and walk away.

At the very least erase Fez off that list, you're only wasting your time with that one.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
If this was my backlog of games I had yet to play, I'd play Day of the Tentacle and Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis (because they're really really good adventure games) and maybe include a game or two that caters to my personal taste, then purge the rest of the list and walk away.

At the very least erase Fez off that list, you're only wasting your time with that one.

16.png

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
Play 'I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream' asap
Wizardries after that i'd say cause you'll have to sink a lot of time to finish them

Ivan

Arcane
so Fez is shit then? even if I enjoyed umm that Jonathan Blow puzzler,,,fuck what was it called: Braid?

Heretic

Cipher
I liked these a lot:
  • Beneath a Steel Sky
  • Consortium
  • The Fall
  • The Swapper

I didn't like
  • Defense Grid 2 (I found 1 better and Gemcraft, Dungeon Warfare and Defender's Quest even better)
  • Gray Matter (technical problems)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
so Fez is shit then? even if I enjoyed umm that Jonathan Blow puzzler,,,fuck what was it called: Braid?

Braid made sense in a lot of ways, and only became pretentious when it came to the story, but at least that makes some amount of sense.

Fez has a neat gimmick and then a shitload of puzzles that are designed to drive you mad.

Let me give you an idea: The highest completion rate percentage currently known is 209.4%.

The game 're-boots' at least 4 times while you're playing it through to the end.

It's not fucking worth going through just to realize that all that hassle was for nothing.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Why ask people with different tastes than your own?
Play what you want. Even crap title from the list might be good and vice versa - bestseller would suck (most likely).

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
i would have appreciated someone cautioning me about: Fary Cry 2, Shardlight, Mother Russia Bleeds, etc. not saying they're "bad" just not as "essential" or "memorable"

Baron Dupek

Arcane
i would have appreciated someone cautioning me about: Fary Cry 2, Shardlight, Mother Russia Bleeds, etc. not saying they're "bad" just not as "essential" or "memorable"
Far Cry 2 with Dylan's Mod to cut out bulletspongy tendences and patrols chasing your ass through the whole map. The whole malaria thingy wasn't that bad tbh...

Neanderthal

Arcane
Don't start Legacy of Kain wi Soul Reaver, start at beginning wi Blood Omen. Might have to take to high seas to get a copy though.

Heretic

Cipher
The thread title is "Backlog Cleansing", but now you're adding something new? I thought the list was your backlog, not your wish list.

Ivan

Arcane
shit! your're right. fucking Codex and its praise for Wizardry.

I assumed I already owned them on GOG

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
JA2 1.13 for the first time? Nah. It surely give large dose of new stuff but only after playing clean game first you will appreciate them. Not to mention the actual game on Normal will go longer, which mean Ivan will add EVEN MORE titles to MUH BAGLOCK.
Wizardry? Go with Wiz8 and if you liked it - start with Wiz6 but don't bother with Wiz7 if you have backlog, it's too long even though it's great.

Play all adventures games with guide, it make the backlog cleaning faster. Because it's all that matter now.
If you want to play games for fun then you would not bother with any these backy-logy thingy shit in the first place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom