Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Likely WotC saw the Warcraft movie and they went red with envy. It's sad that Warcraft is way bigger today than D&D... but not that surprising, D&D remains a neckbeard product despite all the efforts to expand the player base. Warcraft just has a wider appeal.

I myself haven't watched the Warcraft movie as I don't follow the franchise, but people generally talk good of it.
The Warcraft movie would have bombed if it wasn't for China, which was completely unintentional but will definitely be a point in any future productions going forward

Now that's a thought - WoTC having to pander to China with their D&D movie.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I wouldn't think WotC has that large an audience in China (compared to Wow). MMOG's are basically huge there.

If they did a Starcraft movie, and it played in China it would also be hugely successful.

btbgfel

Scholar
I wouldn't think WotC has that large an audience in China (compared to Wow). MMOG's are basically huge there.

If they did a Starcraft movie, and it played in China it would also be hugely successful.
No, it wouldn't. In south korea, maybe. In China, most players of WoW are still young enough for a movie, but starcraft players are already too old for this shit. Had warcraft movie came out a few years later, it would have bombed in China as well.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Sorry, no one wants to see a DnD movie, where people constantly have to rest to regenerate spells after each trash mob fight.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Sorry, no one wants to see a DnD movie, where people constantly have to rest to regenerate spells after each trash mob fight.
People didn't complain about Gandalf casting like 4 spells in 3 movies :) (OK 5 if you count that lightning he uses when he battles Balrog but that is just a retelling of what happened)

vonAchdorf

Arcane
People didn't complain about Gandalf casting like 4 spells in 3 movies :) (OK 5 if you count that lightning he uses when he battles Balrog but that is just a retelling of what happened)

Well, in the Hobbit, they put in lots more magical pew pew.

I wonder which Hollywood dindu will they cast for "urban youth street smarts" Drizzt.

IdrisElba.jpg

#streetenoughfordrizzt

ArchAngel

Arcane
I doubt a black actor is needed since they are not really black but brown. If they will need to color their skin or add it later digitally they can give the part to anyone.

pippin

Drows were brown originally, but I believe that was retconned due to PC feelings. Pretty much the same reason why Thief was transformed into Rogue (but Assassin is still there).

Lhynn

Arcane
Drows have always been white dudes with black skin and pointy ears. Black people dont actually fit their aesthetic.

Theldaran

Liturgist
HOLY. FUXKING. SHIT.
the movie was in production last year and DnD is the least neckbeardy thing ever. Its the shittiest normie game ever made.
A normie game? Are you talking abouth Fourth Edition?

D&D hasn't ever been hugely popular. And when it was most popular, it had a very bad movie (the one with Jeremy Irons on it).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Sorry, no one wants to see a DnD movie, where people constantly have to rest to regenerate spells after each trash mob fight."

CVRPGs are NOT D&D pnp. Also, if you rest after every 'trash encounjter'; you are a retartet player.

In a movie they likely wouldn't even need to address the x spells per day thing. They would just cast spells when needed and be 'refreshed' as they traveled. You might get a couple of lines where the caster will say they are running low on spells or if a priest needs to pray for them . I actually wonder how they'll handle FR religion and how it would effect the characters.

A movie isn't a game. LMAO

As for the silly what colour drow actually are. HAHA. Such a prebian argument.

Neanderthal

Arcane
I always liked that pic wi Mind Flayer wavin at us from behind Lolth's throne but Drow whatever their colour are and always will be twats played by twats, only thing there good for is XP an rape.

Melcar

Arcane
I always liked that pic wi Mind Flayer wavin at us from behind Lolth's throne but Drow whatever their colour are and always will be twats played by twats, only thing there good for is XP an rape.

Yeah, I always found that pic amusing. It's like he (the Mind Flayer) did not get out of the way on time before they took the Drow group photo and is doing a nervous wave.

veskoandroid

Educated
Imagine what we would be reading here if Beamdog had not advertised themselves that they were pushing an agenda.

Also, groups who want to help "oppressed" people, try to do so by oppressing the former "oppressors". It reminds me of the "Burn all violent people!" joke. They are just the other side of the same coin, and sometimes I wonder if they have the intelligence to realize that.
Lol that's funny and educational too! ^_^

Sent from my Xperia ZR using Tapatalk

Doktor Best

Arcane
So all bullshit aside, is this game worth playing?

Depends. Are you fan of the original Saga? Do you play it for the writing, exploration, setting?

I'm a fan, and yeah, I like the things you mentioned. Has Beamdog improved their writing?

Improved over what? Compared to their added content to the Original Saga? Yes, in parts. Its hit and miss to be honest. There are many really cringeworthy moments and its more akin to "nu Bioware", but all in all its servicable, especially some sidequests. The game's strong parts is encounter design, improved AI, dungeon design.

Delterius

Arcane
So all bullshit aside, is this game worth playing?

Depends. Are you fan of the original Saga? Do you play it for the writing, exploration, setting?

I'm a fan, and yeah, I like the things you mentioned. Has Beamdog improved their writing?
It depends on what you expect of it. If you dearly hope it to be less incompetent than that of their original content for the Saga, then yes, sort of. If you expect it to be any good then no, but then again you are playing Baldur's Gate. In the end its as Doktor Best said. Just like Baldur's Gate, its hit and miss. Just much more verbiose and cutscene laden.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom