Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate II Mod Thread

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Guide to Installing and Modding Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, Siege of Dragonspear and Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition
but-why.gif

Without Enhanced Edition, you can't use the new official companions like Dorn and Neera, and you wont be able to play SoD either.

Why would I want to use them? Shitty companions written by second-rate bioware-sque "writers" who wouldn't get hired even by Bioware.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I must admit I thought most of IA's stuff was taken care off through the graphical overhaul and core updates to the engine. The EE UI is ugly, as I wrote, but IMO the extra content + new mods + some functionality (like journal) more than make up for it. YMMV. If the Randomiser and Level1NPC were EET compatible, I would be on that shit

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I was primarily refering to Siege of Dragonspear :)

I have actually played BG1 with the new companions and, well, let's just say I will be sticking with a few of the BG1NPC Project NPCs. Though I didn't think they were as bad as some people here - they felt more like boring mod NPCs than affronts, tbh

EDIT: In fact I can't even remember the monk even though I had him in my party

agris

Arcane
Patron
I was primarily refering to Siege of Dragonspear :)

I have actually played BG1 with the new companions and, well, let's just say I will be sticking with a few of the BG1NPC Project NPCs. Though I didn't think they were as bad as some people here - they felt more like boring mod NPCs than affronts, tbh

Ah! Ok, we're in agreement. I liked SoD, despite the questionable use of smoke machines in some maps. I really need to finish it one of these days.

My biggest problem with the new BG1:EE NPCs were their power, gear, VO and quest writing. So, uh, everything. In addition, all the new maps in the BG1:EE are of remarkably low resolution. You can clearly tell the modeling and texturing of the old maps is superior to the new ones.

My wish: a mod for the BG1/2:EE to have all the new NPC, map and quest content cut and the UI restored to the originals. Then we're just left with a superior version of the IE that ToBex is never going to match.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
My wish: a mod for the BG1/2:EE to have all the new NPC, map and quest content cut and the UI restored to the originals. Then we're just left with a superior version of the IE that ToBex is never going to match.

Not sure I understand that wish. Additional content can just be ignored, after all :)

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Without Enhanced Edition, you can't use the new official companions like Dorn and Neera, and you wont be able to play SoD either.
giphy.gif

I honestly don't know whether you're trolling or really fucking clueless.

Grunker, what you listed as pros do not outweigh terrible UI, the blurry backgrounds nor the shit filter zoom. I'm happy for you guys if the bugs have finally been fixed and mods have been updated to work with Beamdog versions but that is hardly reason enough to suffer through the shit.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
mods have been updated to work with Beamdog versions but that is hardly reason enough to suffer through the shit.

Mods haven't just been updated to work with Beamdog, plenty of newer ones only work on EEs and others have limited functionality on old versions.

As for suffering through the shit... I have played the series to completion so many times I've lost count, and I think the complaint over "blurry backgrounds" is complete hysteria. I played old BG1 and BG:EE back to back and didn't notice the difference at all. Complaints over zoom I don't get at all either; you can just ignore the feature altogether (I do).

The UI is a legitimate complaint though, meaning "suffering through the shit" in my mind is only valid insofar as one thinks the UI is unbearable. So if you can't live with that, sticking with the old versions is understandable.

To my mind though, the differences between the versions are pretty negligeble currently. It comes down to whether you want the new and shiny mods + Siege of Dragonspear (which seems to a very worthy addition of content) or whether you can't live with either UI fuglyness and/or lack of some minor mods, like Level1NPC.

For me, despite Siege of Dragonspear being a massive draw, I just can't live without Level1NPC. I played through 2/3 of BG1 without it, and... no.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
plenty of newer ones only work on EEs
new and shiny mods
Like what?

EET (which is a strict though minor improvement to BGT in most ways, in particular regarding game crossover related tweaks), updated Graphics Overhaul, updated fixpack, tobex and 1PP (basically core functionality now), full IWD inside your BG/BG2 game, kitpack, druid grove makeover, some Tweak Anthology tweaks, a few quest mods. That's just off the top of my head though - I'm fairly likely to have missed a lot of content mods since a) I don't use many if any myself and b) most content modders native to the EE-forums don't seem to mod with non-EE compatability in mind at all.

Last edited:

roshan

Arcane
There's no reason not to play the Enhanced Editions. The BG1 UI was garish, but the BG2 and IWD UI's more or less follow the color palette and theme of the originals. And the BG1 EE UI got improved by SOD anyway. There's so much added functionality and user friendliness in the Enhanced Editions that it makes it much more playable in the modern age. Just a few of the major improvements:

- Automatic portrait resizing, custom portraits can be scrolled through together with the originals. (The original interface was fucked up specially for selecting the small portraits which showed only two files at once, if you had 100 portraits it took ages to locate the right small version)
- Your characters no longer bump into each other and then end up going along two entirely different paths in narrow dungeons
- Dice roll totals are showed when rolling during character generation.
- Journal is improved with a proper log to keep track of your quests.
- You can use middle mouse button hold and drag to quickly scroll the map.
- Button in the map interface highlights terrain that can be traversed.
- You can freely resize the dialogue/text box.
- Zooming in and out makes the game much more playable at high resolutions and large monitors. If you're still playing on a 12 inch this may not be needed. But sometimes you need to take a closer look at the combat, other times when exploring you might want an overview of a large swathe of terrain.
- The sprite outlines in SOD and other updated versions is a major graphical facelift.
- Out of the box compatibility with widescreen and high resolutions.
- Fixpacked, Tobexed out of the box.
- New features like Legacy of Bhaal difficulty mode ported from Icewind Dale and new classes/kits like the Shaman, Shadowdancer and Blackguard
- In the inventory screen, you no longer need to unequip your shield in order to have launchers or two handed weapons in your quick weapon slots. So you can switch fighting style in combat with the click of a button instead of inventory tedium.
- Instant saving and loading of games. Instant loading of areas.
- Steam integration
- In depth information on character stats, more tracking and recording of your character's performance in combat
- In depth information when you use reveal details (tab function). Also, button so you can do this by mouse.
- Quick loot interface.

Overall it's a MASSIVE and fantastic facelift to the original games. The whole "blurryness" thing is pure idiocy, likely some mass hallucination. Or perhaps something that was in BG1 EE release version and got scrapped in a later patch. I compared BG1 EE side by side with BG trilogy at the same zoom level and resolution and the area art looked exactly the same.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Fair enough Grunker. I'm not convinced but I can see your point.

As to Roshan, how about no.

- Automatic portrait resizing, custom portraits can be scrolled through together with the originals. (The original interface was fucked up specially for selecting the small portraits which showed only two files at once, if you had 100 portraits it took ages to locate the right small version)
Okay, that is useful. But it really isn't that hard to use Shadowkeeper to fix the portraits. Just select whatever at char creation and then edit your first save.

- Your characters no longer bump into each other and then end up going along two entirely different paths in narrow dungeons
Happened fairly rarely if you use BGT and upped the search nodes. Doesn't really happen in dungeons at all because the alternative path is so far away. A character might take few steps to the wrong direction until the pathfinding realizes it can advance along the intended tunnel. Sure, if you used a wide formation with all 6 selected like a moron, then you ran into problems more often.

- Dice roll totals are showed when rolling during character generation.
So we can min/max slightly easier now? So useful.

- Journal is improved with a proper log to keep track of your quests.
There was nothing wrong with the old journal. It tracked your quests as well.

- You can use middle mouse button hold and drag to quickly scroll the map.
You could use arrow buttons to move the map or press M to bring map up and click where you wanted the camera go. Not really necessary.

- Button in the map interface highlights terrain that can be traversed.
That has never been a problem in IE games. Unless you're blind.

- You can freely resize the dialogue/text box.
That is useful but not really critical - the 3 predefined sizes suit 99% of needs.

- Zooming in and out makes the game much more playable at high resolutions and large monitors. If you're still playing on a 12 inch this may not be needed. But sometimes you need to take a closer look at the combat, other times when exploring you might want an overview of a large swathe of terrain.
I play on a 21" monitor with a 1920x1080 resolution and I have no need for zooming. Maybe that's more useful for blind people.

- The sprite outlines in SOD and other updated versions is a major graphical facelift.
You're really reaching. Every screenshot of SOD that used them looked absolutely atrocious.

- Out of the box compatibility with widescreen and high resolutions.
Because installing Widescreen mod was so difficult?

- Fixpacked, Tobexed out of the box.
Because installing mods was so difficult? And what if I don't want those "fixes"? Sure, majority of them are non-issues but not all.

- New features like Legacy of Bhaal difficulty mode ported from Icewind Dale and new classes/kits like the Shaman, Shadowdancer and Blackguard
There are dozens of mods for all IE games that add unbalanced shit like new kits. Plus mods that increased challenge.

- In the inventory screen, you no longer need to unequip your shield in order to have launchers or two handed weapons in your quick weapon slots. So you can switch fighting style in combat with the click of a button instead of inventory tedium.
Slightly useful, saving a click here and there. Though you could use sling and all throwing weapons with a shield, which was good motivation to use those weapons instead of just equipping everyone with bows.

- Instant saving and loading of games. Instant loading of areas.
Install BGT on a SSD.

- Steam integration
Who the fuck would want that?

- In depth information on character stats, more tracking and recording of your character's performance in combat
Everything already existed in them.

- In depth information when you use reveal details (tab function). Also, button so you can do this by mouse.
Completely unnecessary.

- Quick loot interface.
Completely unnecessary.

And I won't trust a single word you say about how the games look since you think the fucking awful sprite outliners makes things look better because obviously you have no taste and you're blind. And you apparently haven't really played the original versions much at all.

Jason Liang

Arcane
If I have one or two nice things to say about BG: EE, it's that the BG modding community has been revitalized, and it's gotten a lot of younger players to try Baldur's Gate. BG is in many ways a perfect rpg for millennials. Maybe one day those players will move on to Torment, and then we can all meet up at the Temple of Elemental Evil for a big party.

When we are all dead, no one will remember Baldur's Gate. They will only know the Enhanced Edition.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Baldur's Gate in approaching on my play list and I have to considered using the EE version. It used to be so simple when TuTu was still supported and BGT gave you unbalancing amounts of XP for reading scrolls and picking locks.

Anyway, there seems to me to be two definite points in the favour of the EE version.
1. Unlike TuTu and BGT, Khalid&Jaheira will eventually duke it out with Monty&Xzar if you keep both pairs in your party. Maybe not a big deal for most people, but for me it was one my favourite WTF?!? moments in a CRPG.

2. Pause and Unpause with different keys. Useful in the larger battles against enemy parties.
EDIT: I must have have imagined this. Couldn't find any way to do it after I installed BG 1 EE.

Another thing to consider: the enemy spawns. I know Jaesun has harped a lot about how TuTu and BGT were unable to replicate the spawns of BG1, but how does the EE version compare?

As for the new SJW companions, I kind of look forward to sending them in alone to have discussions about gender issues with Basilisks.

Last edited:

roshan

Arcane
Baldur's Gate in approaching on my play list and I have to considered using the EE version. It used to be so simple when TuTu was still supported and BGT gave you unbalancing amounts of XP for reading scrolls and picking locks.

Anyway, there seems to me to be two definite points in the favour of the EE version.
1. Unlike TuTu and BGT, Khalid&Jaheira will eventually duke it out with Monty&Xzar if you keep both pairs in your party. Maybe not a big deal for most people, but for me it was one my favourite WTF?!? moments in a CRPG.

2. Pause and Unpause with different keys. Useful in the larger battles against enemy parties.

Another thing to consider: the enemy spawns. I know Jaesun has harped a lot about how TuTu and BGT were unable to replicate the spawns of BG1, but how does the EE version compare?

As for the new SJW companions, I kind of look forward to sending them in alone to have discussions about gender issues with Basilisks.

Not replicated properly. Here's my overall impression:

Tutu - Huge spawns of monsters. For example in the temple area east of Beregost, you will find yourself battling massive hordes of various wolves. XP galore and you definitely need to use that mod to cut down overall XP rewards from the game.
BG Trilogy - Completely retarded mixed spawns. You will find yourself fighting a mixed group of skeletons, gibberlings, wolves and ogres. Immersion breaking and also fucked up. Probably also gives more XP than the original.
Enhanced Edition - Spawns faithful to the original but too few monsters. I only played up to Beregost, but my 4 characters were still level 1. Combat still tough due to lack of levels, but I remember facing more monsters in the original game. (This could be because I played a multiplayer game, and all the Candlekeep/early areas XP was distributed across four multiclass characters instead of all going to the protagonist, since I'm lower level than expected, I'm also getting smaller spawns.) I will have to play single player game and then see what happens.

Overall though despite my limited experience, I conclude that the Enhanced Edition has the best spawn system by default because Tutu is fucked up and BGT is retarded.

roshan

Arcane
Okay, that is useful. But it really isn't that hard to use Shadowkeeper to fix the portraits. Just select whatever at char creation and then edit your first save.

Let's use a character editor to get around the screwed up interface! :lol: Part of the fun and the charm of the original games.

Happened fairly rarely if you use BGT and upped the search nodes. Doesn't really happen in dungeons at all because the alternative path is so far away. A character might take few steps to the wrong direction until the pathfinding realizes it can advance along the intended tunnel. Sure, if you used a wide formation with all 6 selected like a moron, then you ran into problems more often.

So we use an external configuration tool to crank search nodes up to the max, then still run into the same problem. Characters stupidly bumping off each other, and then once more possibly heading off into opposite directions. In the Enhanced Editions, this is coded not to happen, and there are new formations as a result, like a cluster formation, or one in which they follow in a line similar to the Shadowrun games.

So we can min/max slightly easier now? So useful.

A lot easier actually.

There was nothing wrong with the old journal. It tracked your quests as well.

lol.

You could use arrow buttons to move the map or press M to bring map up and click where you wanted the camera go. Not really necessary.

Neither of these things is as quick or convenient as middle mouse button drag.

That has never been a problem in IE games. Unless you're blind.

Yet I find myself using it. There's tons of ambiguous clumps of trees that you can't really tell if it is passable or not.

That is useful but not really critical - the 3 predefined sizes suit 99% of needs.

OK, it's great that 3 predefined sizes magically suit all your needs, others may need to resize the box as they see fit depending on the situation.

I play on a 21" monitor with a 1920x1080 resolution and I have no need for zooming. Maybe that's more useful for blind people.

I play on a 24 inch. 21" monitors are too small.

You're really reaching. Every screenshot of SOD that used them looked absolutely atrocious.

It grows on you. :lol: I thought it was pretty bad at first, but now I actually like it, it's better when zoomed out, then the outlines are not noticeable. You can turn it off, but it's nice to have the two options.

Because installing Widescreen mod was so difficult?

Yes. And also fucked up such as if you want to change resolutions... Then it's time to reinstall all mods from the beginning.

Because installing mods was so difficult? And what if I don't want those "fixes"? Sure, majority of them are non-issues but not all.

Not difficult but very, very tedious. Tobex for example is essential for turning off the fake attacks, which in BG2 EE can be done in the options menu.

There are dozens of mods for all IE games that add unbalanced shit like new kits. Plus mods that increased challenge.

You said it yourself, the problem is the unbalanced shit.

Slightly useful, saving a click here and there. Though you could use sling and all throwing weapons with a shield, which was good motivation to use those weapons instead of just equipping everyone with bows.

LOL. The motivation for using a sling was because the inventory interface was screwed up? And that's a good thing? Do you realize how retarded you sound?

Install BGT on a SSD.

Yes, spend 100 dollars on an SSD, and it still won't be as fast as (aka instantaneous) as the EE versions.

Who the fuck would want that?

Steam users.

Everything already existed in them.

LOL!

Incantatar

Cipher
Tobex for example is essential for turning off the fake attacks

Sorry for asking newbie questions, but what is Tobex and "fake attacks"?

ToBEx is an engine hack program for vanilla BG2. It was made by Ascension64 who joined Beamdog. It fixes a few engine bugs, made a few tweaks possible and added several modding possibilities.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Also, there is no "ToBex for the EEs" as someone else mentioned in this thread- ToBex only supports the original patched BG2:TOB (maybe non-TOB also?) IE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom