Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Balrum

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, steam only?
It appears you might be able to download the game from their website, but it might be backers only.
Balcony Team 5 days ago
Hello there! Like the beta the final downloadable version (from our website) will not have DRM.
(fingers crossed for other stores ;) )
Thank you for the kind words guys!
They seem very hopeful for alternatives, so I doubt it'll stay steam-only for long if at all.

Siveon

Bot
Two days? Sounds arbitrary, I bet it has to do with Steam shenanigans.

Naraya

Arcane
Can crafting be skipped? I like what I see but I hate crafting, 99% of the time it feels like a chore just for the sake of it.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
I've been provided a press review copy (being a nerd commando finally shows its perks) and, despite having this game for a couple of days, I've been playing mostly Renowned Explorers. Which probably doesn't say anything good for this one.

Dunno, the starting dialogue & story are pretty bad and definitely non-engaging, the RPG system is minimalistic (even if I reconsider my attitude to this, I won't be doing any guides as it's just too simple) and crafting elements are really heavy. Just like the people have been asking in the thread, it's more Minecraft than RPG.

Like, say a dish you wanna cook (uncooked stuff doesn't heal for much) needs a half-baked meat. This means you need to find some kind of a fireplace, you need to put some logs into it (which you either find or chop) then you put meet and you don't just cook - the bar on the meat fills and the more it fills, the more cooked the meat is. So you don't click and craft - you need to wait until it's grilled just the way you need it to be grilled.

Other stuff in the game seems exactly this way. Farming, mining, constructing, etc. I'm sure some people will love it, but for me it seems too tedious to even try this stuff. I guess I'll force myself to try it again, but meh. And, of course, getting released on the 16th is even worse for them - with the Underrail being pushed to 18th, you know what most oldschool RPG fans will choose.

On the other hand, the Minecraft crowd is definitely a bigger audience, though I'm not sure how hard the Balrum is promoted there. They probably should be focusing on that.

Riptides

Novice
So the game is geared toward UO fans? I'm okay with slow and detailed crafting (it's just like Wurm), but a "minimalistic RPG system" worries me.
What about character creation? I read that you play as a young man.

Mortmal

Arcane
I've been provided a press review copy (being a nerd commando finally shows its perks) and, despite having this game for a couple of days, I've been playing mostly Renowned Explorers. Which probably doesn't say anything good for this one.

Dunno, the starting dialogue & story are pretty bad and definitely non-engaging, the RPG system is minimalistic (even if I reconsider my attitude to this, I won't be doing any guides as it's just too simple) and crafting elements are really heavy. Just like the people have been asking in the thread, it's more Minecraft than RPG.

Like, say a dish you wanna cook (uncooked stuff doesn't heal for much) needs a half-baked meat. This means you need to find some kind of a fireplace, you need to put some logs into it (which you either find or chop) then you put meet and you don't just cook - the bar on the meat fills and the more it fills, the more cooked the meat is. So you don't click and craft - you need to wait until it's grilled just the way you need it to be grilled.

Other stuff in the game seems exactly this way. Farming, mining, constructing, etc. I'm sure some people will love it, but for me it seems too tedious to even try this stuff. I guess I'll force myself to try it again, but meh. And, of course, getting released on the 16th is even worse for them - with the Underrail being pushed to 18th, you know what most oldschool RPG fans will choose.

On the other hand, the Minecraft crowd is definitely a bigger audience, though I'm not sure how hard the Balrum is promoted there. They probably should be focusing on that.

This is really not ecouraging this went from best thing since arcanum to mincecraft clone shit , damn i was starting to get hyped aboutt his one... Maybe you are just too excited by underrail release and just cant get into anything else.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What about character creation? I read that you play as a young man.
On their KS page it shows they reached the female PC stretch goal, so I guess you can also be a young woman. I'm betting it's like Fallout where you just have two sets of sprites. So regardless of whether your character is strong or weak or whatever, s/he always just looks like Generic Man or Generic Woman.

But there are a number of stats and skills. So you can make a guy who's fast and weak, strong and dumb, etc.

Charpanel.jpg

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
The problem with those stats is that they're pretty much profession exclusive. There are 3 basic archetypes: warrior with dexterity & strength, magician with the intelligence & wisdom, archer with dexterity and vitality. Of course, magician & warrior also need vitality, it's pretty much a universal stat, but it's just that they can't dedicate that much point to it whereas the archer can afford to be fat.

Another disappointing (frankly speaking - bullshitty) part about those stats is how miniscule their impact is. I mean, you folks have been complaining about stats in PoE not doing shit? Well, ladies and gentlemen, welcome the Balrum! 1 point of wisdom, for example, increases spell damage by 1 points and regenerates 4 points of mana every 5 turns. To put you in context, starting Fireball spell costs 90 mana and does 100-150 basic damage. Average combat (on hard) lasts 10-20 turns, that's against solo opponent. So, spending 4 (out of eight, starting stats are also capped at 4) starting points on Wisdom gives you 3,2% damage increase on your fireball and allows you to cast an extra fireball every 28 turns. Whoop-dee-fucking-doo.

Str & Dex are pretty much the same crap - enjoy stuff like 2% to hit and crit increase in total. The only noticeable one are the Intelligence (4 Int increase starting pool by 34% - wowzers) and Vitality (18% increase).

And I dunno, maybe the stats somehow scale over the course of the game, but initially they pretty much don't mean anything. And first rewards are totally blind to that. For example, first quest - either receive 10 gold or do the job for free, gaining a 5 minute buff giving +1 to two stats. Or waste a minute or two gathering resources & doing chores on cooking some elaborate food to receive, like, those very same +1% to one stat, +2% to another. Why the hell would I want to do that, really?

I dunno, I haven't experienced lots of the combat so maybe that is good. But the RPG/crafting part of the game is rather baffling.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Damned, the trailer made it look so good I was almost (but not really completely) having doubts about spending the second half of december having Wii and cartoons raise my children while playing UnderRail myself, which is kind my goty 2015.
Guess that dillema's been resolved before it became an issue.
Will try it afterwards, I guess.
(Also, why haven't I heard about this game before?)

Lhynn

Arcane
The problem with those stats is that they're pretty much profession exclusive. There are 3 basic archetypes: warrior with dexterity & strength, magician with the intelligence & wisdom, archer with dexterity and vitality. Of course, magician & warrior also need vitality, it's pretty much a universal stat, but it's just that they can't dedicate that much point to it whereas the archer can afford to be fat.

Another disappointing (frankly speaking - bullshitty) part about those stats is how miniscule their impact is. I mean, you folks have been complaining about stats in PoE not doing shit? Well, ladies and gentlemen, welcome the Balrum! 1 point of wisdom, for example, increases spell damage by 1 points and regenerates 4 points of mana every 5 turns. To put you in context, starting Fireball spell costs 90 mana and does 100-150 basic damage. Average combat (on hard) lasts 10-20 turns, that's against solo opponent. So, spending 4 (out of eight, starting stats are also capped at 4) starting points on Wisdom gives you 3,2% damage increase on your fireball and allows you to cast an extra fireball every 28 turns. Whoop-dee-fucking-doo.

Str & Dex are pretty much the same crap - enjoy stuff like 2% to hit and crit increase in total. The only noticeable one are the Intelligence (4 Int increase starting pool by 34% - wowzers) and Vitality (18% increase).

And I dunno, maybe the stats somehow scale over the course of the game, but initially they pretty much don't mean anything. And first rewards are totally blind to that. For example, first quest - either receive 10 gold or do the job for free, gaining a 5 minute buff giving +1 to two stats. Or waste a minute or two gathering resources & doing chores on cooking some elaborate food to receive, like, those very same +1% to one stat, +2% to another. Why the hell would I want to do that, really?

I dunno, I haven't experienced lots of the combat so maybe that is good. But the RPG/crafting part of the game is rather baffling.
Sounds like one of those games weres theres stat inflation, that +1% eventually will mean +20 or more points. Could be wrong, but everything seems to point out to that.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Pass. I'm tired of this survivalist bullshit. I want to be Ivanhoe, not Robinson Crusoe.

Lhynn

Arcane
Hobo wants to be a hoe.

The problem with this game isnt the crafting tho, its that the rpg elements are shallow as fuck.

animlboogy

Learned
I'll be more interested in what people have to say about this in a couple weeks. All the simple bits could possibly come together as an enjoyable whole.

It's hard not to think of something like UnReal World as a much better alternative to this from what it looks like, though.

Siveon

Bot
Releasing the day Squad releases? The fuck men!
I don't think those two demographics exactly...coincide. Shit, I had to google whatever the hell you're talking about.

Like others have said, they should be worrying about Underrail.

Riptides

Novice
On their KS page it shows they reached the female PC stretch goal, so I guess you can also be a young woman. I'm betting it's like Fallout where you just have two sets of sprites. So regardless of whether your character is strong or weak or whatever, s/he always just looks like Generic Man or Generic Woman.

Aye, that's good to hear, generic sprites will do.

Judging by your screen shot, the game is more Lost In Blue / Survival Kids than the old-school RPG it promotes itself to be, which is a huge letdown. I hope they at least have the conscience to not make you babysit the PC every few minutes.

getter77

Augur
Hmm, if it just comes down to Maths Woes---all of that can be addressed in short order, though one wonders why this didn't get caught by earlier playtesting unless there is indeed a point where it all comes together after the early game. If the outright fundamentals got lost in a crafting hell worse than UO and whatnot though...well...damn.

Come on guys, you lot and Antharion were the underdog champs of late following the Staglands team!

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Hobo wants to be a hoe.

The problem with this game isnt the crafting tho, its that the rpg elements are shallow as fuck.

It doesn't matter if they are a shallow or not if I still have to waste my time collecting turnips and knitting socks.

Lhynn

Arcane
It doesn't matter if they are a shallow or not if I still have to waste my time collecting turnips and knitting socks.
Not if the other elements make up for it, and make it possible to ignore crafting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom