Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Balrum

V_K

Arcane
Yeah, the simulation aspect seems to be really well done.
However, one more burning question: how bad is hp bloat later in the game? Starting with ~1000 hp got me triggered somwhat. :D
And what's the deal with infinitesimal stat effects? Do they get more significant later?

neucifer

Novice
Yeah, the simulation aspect seems to be really well done.
However, one more burning question: how bad is hp bloat later in the game? Starting with ~1000 hp got me triggered somwhat. :D
And what's the deal with infinitesimal stat effects? Do they get more significant later?

yeah, the big numbers are kind of absurd to me too, I find myself using the HP indicator bars and my own damage output more than anything. I feel like they could have scaled hp and damage by 1/10th but maybe there's a reason it has to be this way.

by tiny statuses, you mean poisons that do 1 dmg a turn or similar? they are still appearing 15 hrs in (along with much more significant poisons and other ills), so I feel like their role may only be a buffer for items that rid 1 or 2 status effects, making you waste that extra turn. I'm not sure.

V_K

Arcane
by tiny statuses, you mean poisons that do 1 dmg a turn or similar?
No, I mean the main attributes. The maximum you can get a stat at character creation is 3, which, say, for magic-users means +3 damage to a 100-150 damage spell - i.e. you may as well have no attributes at all since they don't provide any noticeable effect. But I only messed with the game for about 30 minutes, so I wonder if maybe their effect gets more pronounced later.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I noticed that Stardew Valley is super popular on Twitch while nobody is streaming Balrum. These two games are very similar with Balrum even having way more action and kill monsters but for some reason people are not playing it.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I noticed that Stardew Valley is super popular on Twitch while nobody is streaming Balrum. These two games are very similar with Balrum even having way more action and kill monsters but for some reason people are not playing it.
Because Stardew is basically Harvest Moon on PC. You can sell a copy with just those 4 words.

Just looking at screenshots balrum looks like Eschalon with chores, not exactly filling me with excitement.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What Excidium II said.

Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, and its ilk are way more popular than whatever Balrum emulates/advertises (Ultima Online, cRPGs, etc). It's also backed by what I hesitate to call a "publisher" Chucklefish. Which are somewhat known for developing Starbound, and publishing Risk of Rain. I wouldn't be surprised if they bribed sent a few keys to streamers.

Aenra

Patch is out already:

2 March - Balcony Team
Hello there!

Thank you for your feedback and kind words guys! We are back with the first update to Balrum!

(we are still debating about the hunger/thirst situation)

Fixes:

-The guard at Kyler's village won't open the gates.
-The mana usage of the Forget Crime scroll has been reduced.
-The whistle sound won't get stuck in a loop any more.
-Fixed a CTD when trying to repair critical craft items at a repairer.
-Fixed a CTD when a custom item that was a critical craft reached 0 durability after long usage.
-Fixed a bug that was causing a crash after the first boot of the game on certain systems.
-Implemented a workaround to fix a crash on OSX systems that was happening only on the first boot of the game.

To translators: (thank you for your work)
-After we are done with everything regarding the release we will start contacting you.
-We made changes to the “objects.xml” file.
-The game already supports numerous language ASCII character sets but if you have problems with your language characters please contact us.

Have a nice day guys!

Yours,
Balcony Team

http://steamcommunity.com/games/424250/announcements/detail/907844751360534536

Good thing to know they are "debating" over the hunger/thirst. Who knows, maybe all that hard thinking will result into something concrete forming up... As it now is, it's ridiculous :)
(typical scenario of ultra-hardcore lifeless, jobless fanboys insisting on HARDAH, hardah bossmon! and the devs listening.. idiots)

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What Excidium II said.

Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, and its ilk are way more popular than whatever Balrum emulates/advertises (Ultima Online, cRPGs, etc). It's also backed by what I hesitate to call a "publisher" Chucklefish. Which are somewhat known for developing Starbound, and publishing Risk of Rain. I wouldn't be surprised if they bribed sent a few keys to streamers.
So... is it like Harvest Moon? And if it is, is it at least as good as HM: Friends of Mineral Town? If so, I'm already sold. I don't give a damn about roguelike #24255, but there's nothing decent for PC that is similar to Harvest Moons and these games are surprisingly entertaining and addictive.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh, Stardew Valley seems like HM for PC. No linux version though, but according to Wine database it runs fine in Wine. Might buy it when I finish playing some other games.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Oh, Stardew Valley seems like HM for PC. No linux version though, but according to Wine database it runs fine in Wine. Might buy it when I finish playing some other games.
It's a XNA game, I guess it'll be ported sooner or later. Better wait for that -75%

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So... is it like Harvest Moon? And if it is, is it at least as good as HM: Friends of Mineral Town? If so, I'm already sold. I don't give a damn about roguelike #24255, but there's nothing decent for PC that is similar to Harvest Moons and these games are surprisingly entertaining and addictive.
Wish I could tell ya, Konjad. But since I'm more of a Rune Factory kind of guy, and I haven't really played much of the original Harvest Moon games. Wouldn't know where to start, frankly. It does look good from my POV, at least. I've spent $15 on crappy wings, a decent farming RPG-type thing wouldn't be my worst purchase.

Just made a thread about it in JRPG if you play it and want to recommend it to other folk who likes watering plants.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Downloaded the pirated copy just to see if it was worth a buy or not... hold down mouse to move, click to kill 1000hp bear... shift + del folder.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
You can use rmb for the traditional point-and-clikc movement. It's, like, in the very first tutorial window in the game. :M

rmb point in click is decline, so is the ridiculous hp bloat. Then again, i pirated the game, so i cant really be complaining too much about it.

Yeah, but Underrail was pretty linear, here you got an open world thing going on. So movement speed feels way slower than it should be, considering that exploration is needed for quests, resources and whatnot

Murk

Arcane
All the descriptions and images remind me of a single player haven and hearth.

I may dip my toes into this...

I still need to play like 12341234 other games I bought/backed, but you know, fuck everything.

Aenra

felipepepe was your pledge at or above the teleporter pyramid/stone? If so, mind sharing the KS code? Am on Steam plebian edition :S

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I got the cheapest one, paying more to get cheats is decline incarnate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom