Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Banned

Repressed Homosexual
Like I said, the dynamics where I live are centered around keeping francophone culture alive, which means a mix of French authors and local authors. In that sense it is insulated from the rest of the world to an extent, and the anglosphere in particular. The only English material we ever had to read were some sci-fi novelettes and children's stories.

Of course a lot of the time in our local mandatory community colleges called CEGEPs was spent demonizing the authors from the time where Upper Canada (today's Quebec) were mostly catholics who wrote about good values and being proud of your country and defending it, while glorifying renaissance authors like Voltaire, and modern decadent "authors" who largely wrote rubbish.

Take a look at one of the novels that is basically glorified. It is basically a warped view of pastoral lower Canada from the early 20th century, where the author tries to make it look like life was non-stop incest and rape. It even received the French Medicis price. It is called "One Season in the Life of Emmanuel".

This is one of the absolute worst attacks ever devised against Christianity. And yet, modern leftist intellectuals have turned it into an "all-time classic", and "accurate rendition of life in rural French Canada". It was written in the mid-sixties.

I'm trying to find an English source describing how shocking this novel is but it's really hard. Imagine a De Sade novel set in a rural religious community. Imagine that getting hailed as a brilliant classic and accurate and normal rendition of human behavior.

It is when people tried to promote such decadent local authors as great authors that I realized how this modern culture was a load of rubbish. There was a poet who also made poems advocating incest and trying to force nuns into having sex with you, who was glorified as well, named Claude Gauvreau.

I hate that I had to read atrocities like this instead of classic authors, but blame the people here who want to promote whatever miserable local culture there ever was at all costs.

Turjan

Arcane
Notice that I didn't even speak about reading, just knowing this stuff. While I didn't read Don Quixote yet, I have some basic information about the work itself, its author and its significance for western literature without having to look it up on Wikipedia.
What I found strange is that someone like HHR claims he did never even hear of a canonical text like Utopia, written by a catholic martyr at that. Maybe I just have different standarts though.
I recently bought a book called "How to talk about books you haven't read". I could now go on and talk a bit about it, especially as I haven't read it yet.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
Of course a lot of the time in our local mandatory community colleges called CEGEPs was spent demonizing the authors from the time where Upper Canada (today's Quebec) were mostly catholics who wrote about good values and being proud of your country and defending it, while glorifying renaissance authors like Voltaire, and modern decadent "authors" who largely wrote rubbish.

Well, Voltaire is actually from the enlightenment period. And I guess the big problem with the French classics from that period onward is that the intelligentsia of that country became amassed with anti-Catholicism and hatred of tradition. You will hardly find a positive portrayal of customs and religion in the fiction works of Dumas, Victor Hugo, Voltaire and company, in fact, the villains in their works are usually clergymen and patriarchs(keeping in line with the spirit of the enlightenment and the revolution it sparked). And it is the same when it comes to non-fiction, with most authors and works also being positively against religion. Obviously that only got worse later, ending in Zola, Camus and Sartre.

I'm not saying that French literature is bad, in fact when I was a kid I loved reading books like The Count of Monte Cristo and 20.000 Leagues Under the Sea. I'm just saying you should look elsewhere if you want something marked by Catholic values and tradition. France has been at the helm of the decline for centuries. I know little of Canadian literature, but I suppose it must be highly influenced by the French mentality in that regard.

Two great French authors who were both devout Catholics are Pascal and Descartes. But I suppose your schools mostly present their contribution to science, and not their philosophy.

Repressed Homosexual
It is not influenced by the French mentality, because Upper Canada was conquered by England and cut off from the motherland. England involved itself very little in the political life of the French settlers. The intellectuals were mostly the Catholic clergy, who tried to romanticize a pastoral lifestyle. It remained so until about the fourties or fifties, and exploded in the sixties.

Admittedly although they had the best of intentions, they ultimately had limited perspective and largely limited themselves to patriotic themes. The rest of the population had very little education. They went too far in their attempt to protect the population. So, I need to look elsewhere for books inspired by Christian thinking.

There isn't much Canadian culture in the rest of Canada either. English Canada was always sandwiched and squeezed between the US and England, not leaving much room for a culture to blossom. It kinda is an oxymoron.

And yes we were presented many enlightenment books. I remember my teacher in the CEGEP was openly against the catholic clergy and their literature and talked down about pastoral life at every chance she got. At some point I nearly got fed up and left the class.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Stop reporting him. No really, I can guarantee that every report from Quetzacoatl is a FretRider post, and every report from FretRider is of a Quetzacoatl post.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
I never reported anyone. Actually, I think I reported someone that was spamming pictures once, but it wasn't him.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Hmm... You're right. It was Quetzacoatl and someone though. He reported them and they reported him. It went on like that for a while.

Also, this is what I was thinking about re: your reports:

ironing.png

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Nice guarantee there DU
This whole :butthurt: from libruls over Fret Rider is dellicous, why don't you put him on igonore :codexisfor: princesses? Keep the good fight with your words Frankish Fratre. :salute:
So you support ignorelist faggotry now? :thumbsup:

Kukulkan

Learned
Is FretRider really from South America? I heard one discussion concerning his Bryce days that he's actually from California. With FretRider being a compulsive liar it becomes hard to distinguish truth from fiction.

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
he speaks spanish and portuguese, apparently

Alex_Steel

Arcane
Patron
Hey DU, i was wondering if you can rewoke Fret's ability to use ignore function. I'm butthurt that he can ignore posts that annoy him while we didn't have the same privilege at the time of knighrider/shitajegr's shitposting rampage. : x
After all this time, seeing how the "dirty pagan" JarlFrank cannot be ignored, let me quote this post for emphasis. A reminder of an idea that will probably provide lots of laughs.

:thumbsup:

Kukulkan

Learned
Quetzacoatl's obsession with Fretrider is becoming unhealthy and disturbing at this point.
He's so fucking fascinating! Like a rabid mutated animal in the woods you find. His history as Bryce, the constant alts, the increasingly disturbing lack of a life he has, and his response to his criticism.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Oh, this is Quetzeretard. It figures that the little shit would create an alt in order to escape the horror of being on my ignore list.

Well, you will need another alt now little man :smug:

Kukulkan

Learned
Oh, this is Quetzeretard. It figures that the little shit would create an alt in order to escape the horror of being on my ignore list.

Well, you will need another alt now little man :smug:
Must you make a declaration everytime you put someone on ignore? Is this how you deal with your butthurt?:smug:
I also know how to induce you into replying to me anyways. You ignoring me won't stop me from trolling you or arguing with you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom