Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BarbarianCPC & Deathsword 128k : Head chopping classics remade

neilsouth

Augur
0.jpg

What set this game apart from other combative titles was the ability to slice at each other to the death, which usually ended up with a head being chopped clean off and kicked to one side. It is was a game that has lived on through a generation and although the Deathsword 128k remake isn't new, the latest Barbarian CPC for the megadrive is! -

http://www.indieretronews.com/2014/10/barbariancpc-deathsword-128k-head.html

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I remember playing Barbarian on C64, I did once managed to get to the end boss but his ranged attack surprised me and I lost too much health trying to reach him. Got pissed and never played it again, fun game nevertheless.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I beat both Barbarian and Barbarian 2 on the Amstrad CPC.

To reach Drax (yeah, that was the boss's name) you had to beat seven computer-controlled barbarians first. I faintly recall No. 6 being the toughest of them all. Beating Drax in the first game is easy: The roll attack is your best friend.

Barbarian 2 is a whole different beast altogether. Instead of a one-screen arena you had large levels laid out in bizarre ways, and frequently had to battle all kinds of weird monsters. Some of those monsters you could oneshot if you did the headchop at just the right time, though normally you'd end up cutting out the heart rather than lopping off the head. There were 3 levels to find the exit to (an outside volcanic area, a series of caverns and then a dungeon) before reaching Drax. Then it was a case of getting through 2 special monsters to reach him. Palace Software learned something from their prequel and to beat Drax this time you had to chop his head off. Instead of Drax falling down dead, he walks over to his head, picks it up and walks away.

They were fun games back in the day, but haven't exactly aged well.

DraQ

Arcane
I beat both Barbarian and Barbarian 2 on the Amstrad CPC.

To reach Drax (yeah, that was the boss's name) you had to beat seven computer-controlled barbarians first. I faintly recall No. 6 being the toughest of them all. Beating Drax in the first game is easy: The roll attack is your best friend.
I've never beat Drax but he also bounced/rolled his magic missiles across the floor, so he could get you while rolling.
And the last barbarian, the one in black, was definitely the hardest.

Barbarian 2 is a whole different beast altogether. Instead of a one-screen arena you had large levels laid out in bizarre ways, and frequently had to battle all kinds of weird monsters. Some of those monsters you could oneshot if you did the headchop at just the right time, though normally you'd end up cutting out the heart rather than lopping off the head.
Some could also 1-shot you, for example by nomming your head.
:dgaider:
They were fun games back in the day, but haven't exactly aged well.
Still better combat than about any of the ackshun RPGs of today.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom