Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Update #32: More Monsters + inXile 2016 Year In Review Video

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Bard's Tale IV; Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Nathan Long; Torment: Tides of Numenera; Wasteland 2; Wasteland 3

inXile have published one last Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter update for this year, just in time for Christmas. The update offers a look at some of the game's monsters. If that sounds familiar to you, it's because there was a similar update back in March. However, this one has more structure and detail, with the game's bestiary divided into classic enemies from the original Bard's Tale trilogy (including the iconic Berserker hordes) and more exotic creatures borrowed from Scottish folklore. And that's not all. Alongside the update, inXile have published a "year in review" video in which Brian Fargo sums up the studio's activities in 2016. Here's the video and an excerpt from the monstrous menagerie:

Berserker

In the original games Berserkers were famed as much for their numbers as their battle rage. You never encountered just one. In The Bard's Tale IV, berserkers are worshipers of Vidlsvin the Boar, the Einarr god of War. While the rest of the Einarr people are content to be fishers, farmers, shepherds, and good neighbors to their Baedish and Fichti cousins on the mainland of Caith, the Berserkers crave a bolder, bloodier life. Whipped up to a frothing fury by the priests of their cult, they seek to bring back the ancient Einarr traditions of raiding, pillaging, and slaughter, and thus restore the lost glory of the Jarls of the Stanish Isles.

Fachan

There are actually few mentions of the Fachan in old Scottish lore, save one tale where Murachadh MacBrian, the King of Ireland, won a footrace against one of them, and a suggestion that they might have come from muddled tales of druids standing on one foot while they cast spells. In all the tales, however, they are described as fierce creatures having one leg, one arm, one eye, and a stiff tuft of hair sticking up from their ugly heads.

Our Fachan are twisted monsters of corruption and darkness, the result of a botched summoning by the Fichti outcasts known as the Siambra Du. No one knows how their numbers have multiplied since that first malignant mistake (perhaps by regeneration from severed limbs?) but now Fachan are seen all over Caith, and populate the hellish realm of Malefia too, from whence evil conjurers can call them forth to fight for them in battle.

Anthropophagie

Also known as Blemmyes, Anthropophagie are not as particularly Scottish as the other monsters on this list, but we liked them too much not to use them. They come from medieval books such as the Otia Imperialia, a "book of wonders" that presented garbled translations of earlier works about far off places and peoples. The Anthropophagie were said to be giant headless cannibals from Syria whose faces were in their chests.

For The Bard's Tale IV, we have made them denizens of Malefia as well - monsters out of your worst nightmares who can be summoned to fight against you, and our artists have really emphasized their hellish aspects, with not just their mouths displaced, but hands, teeth, and eyes. Horrifying.

In the video, Brian reveals that inXile plan to release a Bard's Tale IV combat system video at the end of January. He also hints that something VR-related is coming from them next year. I guess all that tweeting of his wasn't just idle amusement.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looking forward to the combat break up.

For some unknown reason I get constantly drawn back to the grind in Might and Magic X, even if for only short periods at a time anymore, so a potentially good grindy blobber is surely a welcome sight.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
"Merry Christmas" not "happy holidays" - political correctness all the way.

And more on topic, in this year inXile has managed to get on my shitlist even though it used to be one of the most promising studios. I'm not expecting anything good from Bard's Tale either but we'll see.

Darkzone

Arcane
"Merry Christmas" not "happy holidays" - political correctness all the way.

M C G A
Infinitron
And happy hanukkah in 777 to you. The christians and Jews have different feasts but both mean the same: the restoration of the temple of JHVH. The jews in the building and the christians in the flesh.

Renegen

Arcane
He probably does it on purpose, he's always been mediocre at his job but he wants the prestige being the big boss of a creative video game studio.

Endemic

Arcane
Fargo created Fallout?

Fargo essentially funded it and was the executive producer. Interplay was a videogame giant with more than 600 employees at the time. I don't think Fallout gets made without his ability to pay 100+ people (certainly not with the production values of notable Hollywood voice actors and 3D cutscenes). There's a marked difference between having some cosplayers in your intro movie (Wasteland 2) and the actual TV\film stars in extensive live-action scenes (Starfleet Academy\Klingon Academy\etc).

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
I gave them money for Wasteland 3 because I rather liked Wasteland 2 Director's Cut. WL2DC is a good game, anyone who disagrees is most likely an impossible to please grog

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Fargo created Fallout?

Fargo essentially funded it and was the executive producer. Interplay was a videogame giant with more than 600 employees at the time. I don't think Fallout gets made without his ability to pay 100+ people (certainly not with the production values of notable Hollywood voice actors and 3D cutscenes). There's a marked difference between having some cosplayers in your intro movie (Wasteland 2) and the actual TV\film stars in extensive live-action scenes (Starfleet Academy\Klingon Academy\etc).

Yes, thank you, I know the story.
Fargo still did not create Fallout, so whether he's mediocre at whatever he does or not still has no relevance on whether Fallout is mediocre or not. Hollywood production values or whatever are even less relevant.

At best, you could say that he's responsible for the game existing or not, which is a big thing, but that's what people who give you money or not do.

And yes, before more history lessons, I know he came with the idea for the perks and the name "Fallout"

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Fargo created Fallout?

kys

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Fargo created Fallout?

I have story to share about them
Day One : I arrive at the Fargo offices after my paid airflight from Potato sets down. As soon as I step through the door I realize the entire staff are naked except for strap-ons and rubber gloves pulled over their foreheads. Once again, I am employed in the mainstream computer game industry and it all feels somehow so familiar.

Repressed Homosexual
I just don't understand why he gets so much venom, Wasteland 2 might not have been an all-time masterpiece but he tried to make a real RPG with "choice and consequences" and player skills that actually mattered while attempting to listen to the community. He does a good job of giving older gamer what they want and making sure he can keep commercially afloat.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
He made absolute wrong decisions, Wasteland 2 was doomed from the start when he decided (or probably was talked into) to hire noobs for a Unity game.

No idea why people keep giving him money for more mediocre crap. I dont watch his videos anymore, to me he is another cancer that has befallen gaming.

Apexeon

Arcane
I feel like Fargo is surrounded by to many Yes Men, and not many who actually challenge him....

A yes man you keep your job and no how about we try this sir your fired.

So say yes and you get to eat that week.

Scrubbing these toilets at my job is great as I get to eat.
But the smell of Booze in the piss on the floor is going to make me relapse.
:cheersmate:

Fucccckkkkkk red wine yyyaaa gaaa gaaa
I have a little bit to much
uuuu
ooo
whats the name of that game

I should of said yes sir all the time at my game dev job.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

When I tweeted Brian about having hardcore/old-school style options in the game, he said there would be options for that. I'm interested in the game a lot and I hope the options they do add are good for the masochistic RPG fans, too. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom