Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

getter77

Augur
The banter would've worked better if they'd been able to just throw caution to the wind and somehow get Cary Elwes in there hamming it up unto more classical Bard's Tale sensibilities this time around---but so long as it is tempered with actual intrigue(for all the damn clamour over location this time around, I expect some sinister and esoteric deep cuts) it seems the skeleton of the combat system may well have potential.

After WL3, they need to do better in grand strokes across the board....not even counting the whole odd Torment situation still developing in such a weird way.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Honestly I like the full 3D grid system, can't bash the art, but the angle is just wow. Someone tried to combine first person grid based and isometric and came up with something that I can't even describe. It's very pretty art but obv it's a tech demo and if they can replicate this across a 40 hour experience without reusing the green grass irish countryside palate I'll be surprised.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
If the game doesn't play that slow I think it'll be fine. I also think the UI and portraits are too big.

Zeriel

Arcane

The way characters stare at you autistically when it's their turn to act in combat while everyone else faces away as if to say "not looking" is by far the best thing about the new Bard's Tale. It's like you're commanding a troupe of haunted clowns.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
The video looks very much like just made with animation, probably just "proof of concept" kind of thing, didn't look like real gameplay at all. Looks fucking horrible, too slow, way too many unnecessary animations and that fucking "banter", kill me nao.

fobia

I don't know much about animation...
But what they did with the companions is impossible. They're just bobbing back and forth weirdly. :bounce:

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Somehow the bouncing characters "work"... yeah, I know it's retarded, but you know exactly who speaks without even looking at it - from the corner of your eye. But very cartoonish... I expected a more serious approach. But as they already said they'll remove it... so what... it was probably only for demonstration purpose, and maybe to get attention of new folks...? Casual gamers... kids... Tom & Jerry...

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
but you know exactly who speaks without even looking at it
There are absolutely better ways to do that. His portrait in top left corner, or his portrait being highlighted, or whatever other way. The bouncing has to stop.

sser

Arcane
Developer

The way characters stare at you autistically when it's their turn to act in combat while everyone else faces away as if to say "not looking" is by far the best thing about the new Bard's Tale. It's like you're commanding a troupe of haunted clowns.

RMYU7aZ.jpg

Nyast

Cipher
I'm confused by that video. I thought the game was supposed to be a grid-based blobber ? In this vid the guy was free-roaming like in a Skyrim dungeon. Give me back my grid !

It's supposed to have an option to snap yourself to a grid.

My problem is that it looks like a free-roaming game with the grid snapped as a second thought, and not the opposite ( a grid-based game with a free-roaming option ). I like grid based games because the grid constraint generates some interesting level design challenges, but here it seems to be there just for the purpose of putting a checkmark on a promise. Hopefully I'm wrong and the video is misleading; otherwise I'll be severely disapointed.

Zeriel

Arcane
I'm confused by that video. I thought the game was supposed to be a grid-based blobber ? In this vid the guy was free-roaming like in a Skyrim dungeon. Give me back my grid !

It's supposed to have an option to snap yourself to a grid.

My problem is that it looks like a free-roaming game with the grid snapped as a second thought, and not the opposite ( a grid-based game with a free-roaming option ). I like grid based games because the grid constraint generates some interesting level design challenges, but here it seems to be there just for the purpose of putting a checkmark on a promise. Hopefully I'm wrong and the video is misleading; otherwise I'll be severely disapointed.

You're not wrong. If you're hoping this will be an old school revival, best check those expectations right the fuck now. This is Brian Fargo we're talking about.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are some areas there that look griddish - the walkway overlooking the goblins and leading to the bridge and some of the corridors after that. Free roaming outside and gridding inside like Betrayal at Krondor?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There are some areas there that look griddish - the walkway overlooking the goblins and leading to the bridge and some of the corridors after that. Free roaming outside and gridding inside like Betrayal at Krondor?
You fight the goblins at some weird 15° angle from the grid though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I was thinking maybe they'll have the fights take place in arena-like areas that are detached from the grid? Hard to tell based on just one video.

Studio Fawn

Studio Fawn
Developer
The game looks so nice! But personally I would step the camera back when combat begins, revealing the party and their 3d models. It is a lot of extra work but seems like a core aspect.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I like the grid thing. That's actually interesting.
I agree, except the HUD looks like it's out of Star Trek. It should be skeuomorphic, even if it rises/lowers based on combat state, and not inspired by the neon-blue from the mothership.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom