Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale IV Pre-Release Thread [RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ArchAngel

Arcane
People in KS comments are calling the video sexists because of that male character acting badly towards the female character :D

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I agree, except the HUD looks like it's out of Star Trek. It should be skeuomorphic, even if it rises/lowers based on combat state, and not inspired by the neon-blue from the mothership.

It would make more sense, if the game were a mixture of medieval & sci-fi. But they said it's only the former one.

Studio Fawn

Studio Fawn
Developer
People in KS comments are calling the video sexists because of that male character acting badly towards the female character :D

They probably didn't even vote for Clinton.

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
I didn't mind the look of the video - the combat at least looks a bit different which is good. The banter didn't annoy me too much and the graphics look nice. I definitely got a bit of a Wizardry 8 vibe out of it.

The thing that annoyed me the most was the bard rebuilding a ruined bridge by singing...I think I liked it better when bard's songs were about raising morale and reliant on alcohol to work...

Character portraits should all be done in 3D, and I'm not a fan of the interface or the grid--the angle seems unintuitive and off. Character banter is meh, but fine, I could care less, as long as their "hint system" doesn't result in spoilers. Magic seems like a multi-tool, which I like. I have never played any of the original Bard's Tale games, so take my plebeian opinions for what it's worth.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Fucking Fargo, how the fuck did he somehow think those retarded looking portraits that talk like they just sharted out of South Park and bounced around like they are ready to sing "Uncle Fucker" were going to be charming or some shit? They sucked and while after rewatching a couple of times the idea of a grid seems interesting on paper it was executed horribly with that holodeck looking glowing neon grid. If he wants the game to be taken seriously he should have started himself by not allowing "that" to be shown to public

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
You fight the goblins at some weird 15° angle from the grid though.
Yeah, I was thinking maybe they'll have the fights take place in arena-like areas that are detached from the grid?

Wow! I didn't notice that at all until recently. It looked so natural, that the enemy just approaches you from the same angle, you were looking at it. Didn't realize it was not the usual 90° angle.

That means the combat grid is dissolved from the world grid. The party moves with the combat grid, and when an enemy detects you, it positions itself in the combat grid, no matter where you are looking at (maybe not, when you are looking at a wall - but I also noticed a slight "correcting rotation"). That approach is different to MMX, where the whole world was a strict grid and combat could only take place in 90° angles.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You gotta love how Fargo says stuff that seem like he actually read the Codex and thought "now, how can I piss them off the most?" :lol:

Glop_dweller

Prophet
This is Bard's Tale trying to be Wizardry 8 and latter Might & Magic, especially with regard to characters commenting on their surroundings and in battle.

And that's a bad thing?
Why wouldn't it be? By definition trying to be Wizardy 8 + Might & Magic... is ~not trying to be Bards Tale 4.

In this respect, it's the same crap again, that we saw with Wasteland 2 trying to be a better FO3 [and succeeding], rather than trying to be an even loosely recognizable Wasteland sequel; and it's the same as we saw with FO3 itself trying to be an Oblivion 2.0 draped in trappings of the Fallout IP, rather than making a half decent effort to be a proper Fallout series game.

IMO BT4 should have stayed closer to the series' roots. It's a beautiful [damn near unrelated] mutant instead of a descendant of Bard's Tale 3.

**Also: it does look like the PC/Party camera is less than hip height, for some reason. The view shouldn't be that close to the floor.

This is Bard's Tale trying to be Wizardry 8 and latter Might & Magic, especially with regard to characters commenting on their surroundings and in battle.
I do hope that the aforementioned PC 'insight', does not turn out to be interjections like: "I feel a draft coming from the wall on the left!", or "Perhaps if we place an item on it? Maybe then...".

Last edited:

Mustawd

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=17096#p180080

bm1K0kQ.gif

Wow Zombra, I didn't know you have a DeviantArt page. :P

03_elf_anim_by_zombra-d6qn1ga.gif
01_fairy_anim_by_zombra-d6qjrct.gif
animated_wizardry_8_custom_portraits_2013__mook_by_zombra-d60nmtp.gif

Already a million times better than BT4 shaking portraits.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
What about cultural appropriation? How is inxile fighting that between monsters/people? I hate cucks with all my heart.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They mentioned that this game may be a candidate for VR, though I doubt that combat system would work there very well.

Did they actually mention that somewhere or are you just repeating my theory from earlier ITT?

Fargo tweeted that BT4 "screams VR". That's about it.

https://www.vrfocus.com/2015/06/brian-fargo-the-bards-tale-iv-screams-vr/

Well then: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...r-game-set-in-the-bards-tale-universe.113850/

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/the-bards-tale-iv/posts/1873547

Combat Commentary & Brian DiDomenico Joins the Team

Howdy, Exiles,

David Rogers here with another Bard's Tale IV update. Recently, we gave you our first look at exploration and combat, and your response and feedback were both incredible and very useful in helping us prioritize our efforts. We wanted to respond to much of the feedback we got in more detail while also talking a bit more about some of our gameplay ideas.

So, we took the video that we shot, stuffed me in a sound booth, and created a "director's commentary" on the combat video for you to enjoy!

This deep dive into gameplay and battle mechanics should give you a better sense of the depth we are working towards with Bard's Tale IV, as well as answering a few of your questions that we've seen come up a few times. Enjoy!

Sound Design Update - Introducing Brian DiDomenico
The Bard's Tale has always been well known for its presentation. It was one of the first titles to include music as a gameplay feature, and at the time its visuals were highly expressive and detailed compared to other dungeon crawlers of the day. Our goal is to continue carrying this torch forward on The Bard's Tale IV. You've seen our visuals and art design, which we've detailed a few times previously. Early in our crowdfunding campaign, we also announced the involvement of Julie Fowlis and Ged Grimes contributing the game's unique highland-tinged music, as well as our plans to bring back some of the classic Bard's Tale songs.

Sound design is one key aspect we have not touched on as much yet. Music can stay in your memory for years, and graphics are certainly important for drawing players into the game world. But more than anything else, it's sound that reinforces a game's atmosphere and feel. As a dungeon crawling experience, the audio is what immerses you into the experience, creating a sense of ambiance which is impossible to convey through music and art alone.

The Bard's Tale IV is deep in production, and many of our game systems and environments are rapidly coming together. At this stage, it's critical to have sound design work with our team and capture the unique mood of Skara Brae and the wider world of Caith.

To do this, we're bringing in Brian DiDomenico. Brian is a composer, songwriter and sound designer. Throughout his diverse career, Brian has contributed to many titles you might recognize, including Myst V: Revelation, Jade Empire, Mass Effect 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops II, Lost Planet 3, Ninja Gaiden Z and most recently Here They Lie. Outside of games directly, Brian has performed and recorded music with Mankind is Obsolete, Dismantled and is currently the keyboardist in the Megaman-themed rock band, The Megas. He has also performed at several festivals and conventions including Video Games Live, MAGfest, BitGen, Nerdfest, the Capcom Cup. You can read more about him on his own website.

We're extremely excited to welcome Brian DiDomenico, and we can't wait for our designers and implementers to collaborate with him, and hear what he will be contributing to the game.

That's all for now, but as we barrel through production and start knocking down our internal development milestones, The Bard's Tale IV is looking better and better every day. We'll have more goodies on the game's progress and community updates to share with you soon!

David Rogers
Lead Designer

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
That blue scifi grid needs to be changed into something from stone and look properly medieval.

Mustawd

The top part with the monsters can be made to look like a magic spell effect. My biggest issue is the UI below. It just reinforces the laser grid effect. It's horrible.

The grid could look similar to the lettering of BT4 at the beginning of the video. Kind of like a magical light thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Glad they heard us complain about the giant Push A for Awesome sigils. Not sure how they're going to fix it, but good they're trying.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Oh my God give mercy to this child.

When did every 'battle will be a puzzle to be solved' become a Bards Tale feature?

Totally consoled and Bards Tale for kids?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
When did every 'battle will be a puzzle to be solved' become a Bards Tale feature?
Totally consoled and Bards Tale for kids?
So making the player think is juvenile? :?
A)ttack A)ttack A)ttack D)efend D)efend D)efend is monocled, mature gameplay?
I didn't ask for this either but claiming classic BT combat was more sophisticated is very stupid.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom