Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Barkley 2 - the new Codex vaporware champion

ColCol

Arcane
We have the developer posting on the thread, but our leaks come from Japan. :lol:

Dat Codex quality news!

Also, this makes me:happytrollboy:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Yeah, I'm really curious who it is too. I guess they've met Liam and maybe Kyle if they've got those pictures.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
https://twitter.com/MitchyD/status/514021527025487873

So I saw this today and it got me thinking. I don't know if Barkley 2 is a "funny" game. I mean it is funny in a strange way, but it is also really weird, and the part that I think is "funniest" is character creation, which I wrote pretty much before anything else. I think a lot of Barkley's humor comes from the fact that it is just weird as fuck, though, and not straight up ha-ha funny. I don't know if that makes any sense. But it also got me thinking about Wasteland 2. I haven't played much of it yet but what I have played was very serious - you're attending this completely straight-faced funeral where everyone is mourning the death of a character from the first game. I talked to a couple other characters and everything was very sobering and gritty. I also know that being a Wasteland game, there's a bunch of zany stuff in other places - I saw this picture of a giant Vectrex monument and I'm sure there's other stuff too. But the tone of the game was so serious that I don't see how these two ideas can be congruous - a gritty, somber game about the survivors of nuclear war and goofy shit like Vectrex monuments. The game sets the tone by taking itself very seriously immediately.

I guess Barkley is different because at no point does it ever present itself as anything other than stupid bullshit. We've set up a world where we can do anything we want and it never feels out of place because it never takes itself seriously - even when it's taking itself seriously. One of the first characters you'll probably talk to is this space man who's sitting in this trash pile and he goes on about his miserable story for like 5 minutes. It's actually pretty sad and the guy who wrote it writes sad stuff almost exclusively. One guy who played the game in Miami told me the story was beautiful. But I think the story works because it doesn't feel incongruous with the rest of the game, unlike this wacky Wasteland stuff, because the game never commits itself to any single tone - wackiness or seriousness or sadness or whatever. I can decide one day to put a quest where you string up a dead guy like a puppet and pretend to be him or a character who talks at length about how he lost this person he loved and it fits, which doesn't seem to be the case with Wasteland (but I have to play the game more, maybe it does fit better).

So maybe that's what this guy is talking about, that the game is funny because it never momentarily steps outside its own boundaries - because it sets its boundaries pretty wide.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Playing Barkley 1 GAIDEN, I think that what hits me is how everything is fucked up and wacky from our perspective, but the characters take themselves very seriously inside their own logic.

DashiDMV

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Just a reminder Eric S, developers get a cut of every steam trading card sold in the market.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know if Barkley 2 is a "funny" game.

Of course it is! Not because of internal consistency or whatever, but because the tone of the whole presentation is total comedy. Of course the characters in a comedy take themselves seriously - it's not funny if they're not invested in their own ridiculous situation. Seeing people taking stupid stuff seriously - that's always funny.

Did I ever tell you about the time my stepbrother Damian almost drowned? Our family was out at the cabin, and Damian was swimming in the river when unexpectedly he came to a deep part and panicked as his feet could no longer touch bottom. Submerging briefly, he took some water into his lungs and began thrashing in terror. My stepfather jumped in and saved him, but as he dragged him to the riverbank, Damian struggled and fought, trying to get back in the water! As he continued to strain against my stepfather's grip, and agonizingly coughed water out of his lungs, Damian was finally able to cry out two heartbroken words: "MY GUM!"

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Chef, I just wanted to thank you for your contributions to Barkley, Shut up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley Saga. I played a couple years ago and was in a pretty rough place in life and it really lifted my spirits a lot. One of my favorite games due to the absurdism. Will definitely be picking up Barkley 2 day one.

Also, just wondering what was going through your mind during the Awesome Games Done Quick when the game was spedrun live to thousands of viewers. That must have been extremely surreal, lol

Murk

Arcane
link to AGDQ video

lol @ 26 mins

"oh, pizzas here!"

*entire audience gets up and leaves*

Last edited:
a85345b59ed0635c0cd954436668536d_large.png

Looks great

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
For some reason I'm more excited for Barkley 2 than I am for Wasteland 2 or Torment.
I'm glad to witness the incline, but I'm actually looking forward to play Barkley.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
For some reason I'm more excited for Barkley 2 than I am for Wasteland 2 or Torment.
I'm glad to witness the incline, but I'm actually looking forward to play Barkley.

Well it will almost certainly be funner to play than IconsFillingUp Land 2

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...quel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam/posts/1061007

Hi again, stalwart ballers! @SveTob here again, this time to show off a vile beast of the swamps of Necron 7. (How did a swamp end up in a space ziggurat again?) We’ve showed off the swamps before, but this guy is a new resident.

Say hello to Mr. Were-snail!
6f1837340dc53d85c9f238bc82c12d12_large.gif

Big Bad Snails, Givin' You the Willies

The Weresnail is a ‘tank’ style enemy. He moves slow in water and even slower on land, but can take a heavy beating before going down. His shell also repels your shots if you fail to hit his body.

He doesn’t look like much of a threat, and he isn’t, if you can keep your distance. But the thing with that shotgun he’s holding is, in Barkley 2, heavy weapons mean heavy weight, so to wield the strongest weapons you’ll need the raw muscle mass (M.IGHT) to back it up, or you won’t be able to hold the weapon. These Were-snail guys, they’ve got some muscle mass. So, if you get in range for that shotgun, you’re done for.

Another reason to avoid him is his shell. Bullets are in short supply, so you can’t affort to spray-n-pray and waste bullets by having them bounce off like that without doing any damage. It also means you can’t hit him from behind. Either make sure you can kill the Weresnail calmly and safely... or run away.

The swamps are filled with dangers that you will need to think quick to avoid, this is not one of those, but you always need to mind your surroundings because you do not want to end up cornered by a Were-snail.

That’s it for today! Happy Holidays!

(hey it's me Bhroom, this is my solemn oath to post a "Balancing Barkley/MS Excel Love Tribute" by the end of the year! there, I've said it now I have to do it!)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom