Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Basilisk Games (Eschalon) working on a first-person sci-fi RPG

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
http://basiliskgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9472

The only thing I will say is that it is being designed as a party-based game with a first-person perspective. But, even the camera position is not set in stone; the second technology test I made played just fine in Iso mode too. It's just too early to even confirm where the player camera will be positioned!
In the same topic he says that the game will be turn based.

Lhynn

Arcane
At this point, as long as its sci fi and its well done i couldnt care less.

butchy

Prospernaut
There is Star Crawler in early access on steam as well. I sci-fi blobber

Kem0sabe

Arcane
All this whoring from the simple fact it's sci-fi, if that was a valid reason to be excited the codex should be salivating at the prospect of the next mass effect.

Their last game was a mess, no reason to expect this will be any better.

pippin

All this whoring from the simple fact it's sci-fi, if that was a valid reason to be excited the codex should be salivating at the prospect of the next mass effect.

Their last game was a mess, no reason to expect this will be any better.

That's true, but since most rpgs are either fantasy or post apocalyptic, sci fi is a reason to be at least interested.

I hate it when indie games try to get some sort of reference to other games. Like this one or Dead Effect.

Lhynn

Arcane
It tells us that they are trying to make something different, and hopefully better than what theyve done in the past (with the experience theyve acquired). I have no idea how you arrived at mass effect from there.
Not that its bad, ME1 was a decent game, but i think you are deluding yourself if you think they could deliver something even similar.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It tells us that they are trying to make something different, and hopefully better than what theyve done in the past (with the experience theyve acquired). I have no idea how you arrived at mass effect from there.
Not that its bad, ME1 was a decent game, but i think you are deluding yourself if you think they could deliver something even similar.
I arrived at mass effect because this thread had a vibe of 'as long as it sci-fi'.

Even if the gameplay manages by some miracle to transcend what they have show to be able to make so far, that still leaves them the very hard task of pulling off an interesting setting.

The last great sci-fi setting in an rpg that managed to be clever and interesting was geneforge.

getter77

Augur
What if they just make a love letter project to Albion or some such---pretty sure that'd be most welcome and Sword & Planet is a close enough sci-fi bridge that none would call foul on it.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
This got me thinking about what a shame it was that advent rising didn't manage to pull of a decent game that justified the trilogy they had planned, I quite enjoyed it back then.

Andhaira

Arcane
This got me thinking about what a shame it was that advent rising didn't manage to pull of a decent game that justified the trilogy they had planned, I quite enjoyed it back then.

It was actually quite a good game. The ending was rushed true, but still better than Halo. They didn't get the funding needed for the sequels because I think everyone was too busy creaming over Halo and whatever else was cool back then. (MMORPGs I think)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Tiny little updates: http://basiliskgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10374

Work continues slowly on the next big RPG. Turns out that making a full 3D game takes a magnitude more effort and time than a 2D isometric game. :? I don't think we'll have any formal announcement before the end of the year, but I've put a note on my calendar to post some concept art on January 1 to give you guys something to look at as we go into 2016.

SpottedShroom said:
That's one of the reasons I tend to like 2D games better - it's easier to make a more detailed world. Today's AAA titles barely match the complexity of small 2D 90s RPGs.

Are you going full 3D, or something like a fixed-camera top-down view?

Honestly, I'm going to try having a camera that can do both first-person and isometric, but I certainly can't promise anything until we enter Alpha testing (at the earliest).

I may regret saying this...but...we do have an iso-2D "Eschalon-type" engine now running on Unity. I haven't completely ruled out moving The Next Game (TNG) over to that since it seemed to be so beloved by our fans. Because we are still unsure of the engine design is why I can't show off any gameplay screens yet. Everything will likely change.

Inspectah

Savant
I liked me some EB2, never played any other game from the dev however.
I do hope it ends up being good

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Some concept pieces: http://basiliskgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10624

Basilisk Update 2016

Greetings friends, old and new!

Normally I post a New Year message on the front page, but this year I decided just to post a message here to our regular visitors and dedicated fans.

2015 was a transitional year for us. Having finished Book III in 2014, we spent all of 2015 investigating new technology (playing around with VR and mobile platforms) while finishing up the design document for our next RPG. We've also helped out a few other indie developers with their projects (consultation mostly), worked on a couple contractual jobs, and we've converted our workstations over to new software (Unity & Blender) on which our next games will be built upon. We also celebrated our 10th year as a game developer with a major website redesign. It was a busy year for us, despite not having anything to really show for it (well, besides the new website).

For 2016, we plan on diving into the next RPG full speed, though we don't have a development schedule to share with you yet. When we have something worth showing off, we will. Also, in moving over to Unity, we've developed a handful of mobile-style games while learning the new software. As such, we will likely release these games to generate a bit of operation revenue for the company. These games won't be under the "Basilisk Games" label since they aren't RPGs or adventure-style games, though I'll be sure to share a link if anyone wants to check them out and help support us.

Oh yes, and I did say about a month ago that I would share some "next RPG" concept art with you. Remember, these images are concept art- not in-game screenshots, not engine shots, and not even production shots. These are images created by an artist based on location descriptions, which we'll use for inspiration while we design levels. It should give you a basic idea of the design goal, and also prove to you that we are actually working on something!
icon_wink.gif

Game on!

xYs4mOL.jpg

SnT60bX.jpg

TjnFyWH.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom