Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Batman: Arkham Knight

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Is this game $5 yet?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
So it looks like Rocksteady has finally released the patch, for real.

Patch notes:

Reduced frame rate hitches

Optimizations for system memory and VRAM usage

Improved performance on all GPUs (requires the latest drivers)

More Comprehensive In-Game Settings

Fixed low resolution texture bugs

Fixed hitches when running on mechanical hard drives (HDD)

In addition to the above, we’re continuing to work on the following for future updates:

Adding support for SLI and Crossfire

Adding support for the latest DLC & Season Pass content

Adding support for additional updates such as Photo Mode

Continued improvements and bug fixing for a Windows 7 specific memory issue that occurs on configurations with 8GB of system RAM and some NVIDIA GPUs during extended game play

Continued improvements for Windows 10 specific issues on systems with some AMD GPUs

1414912456386286405.gif

Now I can finally start playing this goddamn game.

Israfael

Arcane
I made a mistake thinking that you can finish all the car stuff without upgrading it at all... after 3 or 4 APC chases that ended in me exploding, i had to put some points into that useless pile of carbonite and methul. At least the game provides enough points to almost upgrade everything to the max.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The patch removed the stuttering (from driving/gliding around fast) as well as the texture popping, from what I've seen. My 2 GB VRAM won't allow me to go above low-medium settings without massive stuttering though. Testing out the new High Texture setting is a no-no. :)

AW8

Arcane
is it....is it safe to reinstall?
They are not done fixing yet, they even named it an interim patch. For example, I don't think SLI/Crossfire works yet.

The game runs a little better, but it's also still one of the most demanding games out there, with 3 GB VRAM needed to run on Normal. That will probably never change.

Deleted member 7219

The game still runs, looks and plays like shit.

It is remarkable how much Rocksteady declined with this one.

deuxhero

Arcane
It's weird how PC players benifited from the port being shit, getting them to refund it while everyone else whines about how shit the game is.

Israfael

Arcane
http://habrahabr.ru/post/266385/

slightly technical explanation of why batman sometimes has grand mal fits in the air and plummets downwards. Both for AK and Origins. (in short, square root of -1 because mouse moves too quickly, and developers didnt really care about non-joystick control scheme)

AW8

Arcane
I made a mistake thinking that you can finish all the car stuff without upgrading it at all... after 3 or 4 APC chases that ended in me exploding, i had to put some points into that useless pile of carbonite and methul. At least the game provides enough points to almost upgrade everything to the max.
I liked how the campaign+side missions doesn't give you enough XP to get all upgrades this time around, makes the upgrades actually matter somewhat beyond just picking in what order you want them.

Of course, this being Arkham Knight, there is a side-effect to this. Two Riddler Trophies require certain upgrades to get, which means that if you didn't pick those upgrades, you have to start up New Game+ and grind for upgrade points in order to unlock them.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Of course, this being Arkham Knight, there is a side-effect to this. Two Riddler Trophies require certain upgrades to get, which means that if you didn't pick those upgrades, you have to start up New Game+ and grind for upgrade points in order to unlock them.
Yeah, annoying. Luckily for me I wanted to finish the Riddler stuff before some of the other stuff, so I figured that out before everything else was done. Even so, by the time I got the message I barely had enough missions available to pay for the correct upgrades.

AW8

Arcane

The update will be free and will cover all challenge maps. Finally! This should have been in the game from the start.

Don't know how well it will work as Nightwing, Robin and Catwoman lack some of their gadgets from Arkham City.
And while the predator maps in Arkham Knight are designed purely for Batman, every predator challenge map in Arkham City was designed for both Batman and Catwoman, with gargoyles for Batman and ceilings to climb on for Catwoman.

But even if it is a little clumsy, the irony of stopping a bank robbery as Catwoman is very appealing.

Deleted member 7219

Ok, so I decided to try it out again just to see if the game improved.

The opening sections were intolerable simply because of the amount of Batmobile / drone fighting and sadly this remains the case for most of the game. There's too much of the drone fighting.

It is interesting how Rocksteady took a formula that worked so well and added in a completely unnecessary new mechanic that became the gameplay focus. The entire game suffers as a result.

The cutscenes are done well, though. There's some interesting story development in this game, particularly for Batman, Robin and Oracle. Some of the Most Wanted side missions are good too - it was nice to see Azrael again, and Nightwing gets a proper role this time around. Catwoman is there too, but you can't explore the city with her, which is a shame.

A lot of things that happen in the story just do not make sense. Batman acts like an incredible moron throughout most of the game. Major things happen, and his reaction to them is so undetectivelike, so unlike him, I found myself getting frustrating with how dumb he was getting.

By this I mean Oracle 'dying' and him just taking it on board and telling everyone he meets (I deliberately didn't tell Robin though, because I knew it wasn't true. I mean come on, they did this in Arkham Asylum too, and they play the same trick again? Boring.

The ending was basically TDKR but worse. He quits being Batman but makes no mention of who steps up to replace him. In the third ending you only get if you complete the Riddler trophies, it looks like no one is scared of the Batman. So what the fuck are Robin and Oracle doing?

Besides the Batmobile there's a couple of other bad choices Rocksteady made. One was to use Jonathan Banks (Breaking Bad) as Gordon's voice actor. His voice just doesn't fit the role. They also used the guy out of Fringe as Scarecrow's voice actor - again, doesn't fit the role. I always pictured Crane as being a young man.

Second, the Riddler race maps. Ok, they are entirely optional but you have to do them if you want to get the real 'ending', and if you actually want to free Catwoman from the Riddler, and the map which has you drive sideways across the curve of a dam while avoiding walls that stick up out of it was so rage inducing I almost quit the game for good. Again, that fucking Batmobile.

I can't help but think if they cut out 50% of the Batmobile stuff they might have had more time for Catwoman or Robin gameplay. It might have been nice to have roamed around Gotham with those two as a bit of a timeout from all the grimdark Batman stuff.

I'll give it a 6 or 7/10 overall. The Batmobile gameplay is so excruciating it means the game is not as good as Arkham City, and nowhere near the tightknit polished quality of Arkham Asylum. Everyone seems down on Arkham Origins but that was also a better Batman game than Arkham Knight.

Finally, performance. Turn off Vsync and everything will be good. Played at 1920x1080 with all settings on normal, motion blur off, Nvidia settings off. Got between 45-60 FPS. Still not great, but a fuckload better than the sub-30 FPS I got on launch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andhaira

Arcane
Does Azrael have some unique gadgets of his own?

And is Azrael a negro again? Why isn't he Jean Paul Valley, and why aren't the Knightfall Jean Paul Batsuits an option? Instead we keep getting retarded batman outfits like animated buttman, Earth 1 buttman, etc. WTF??

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Eh, Scarecrow/Crane was usually portrayed (excluding Nolan's films) as no younger than late 30's/early 40's. And probably closer to mid 40's. He is a tenured university professor.

Deleted member 7219

Eh, Scarecrow/Crane was usually portrayed (excluding Nolan's films) as no younger than late 30's/early 40's. And probably closer to mid 40's. He is a tenured university professor.

Fair enough.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The only alternate costume I've ever bothered to use in these games is the 1970s one.

img[

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Don't forget Adam West voiceover.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom